W1 The Tower of Doom !
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:21 am 

So I bought a pretty nice collection of stuff locally the other day,  stuff like a bunch of 1st ed mods, supermods, fanzines and a few box sets.  Really nice condition stuff I was very pleased.  

While looking through the box and admiring the cool books I came across this little old homebrew module that the author nefariously called "The Tower of Doom" :)  

Here is a sneek peak at this one of a kind, rare, unique and ancient manuscript

Ultra fine detail on the cover art (Elmore eat your heart out)

Opening it reaveals the true gritty nature of this adventure

Here it is in all its glory :)

I know I am making fun of this item,  the fact is it is really cool :) .  

Some person spent countless hours on it planning this out.  Four full levels with 20 to 30 typed out encounters per level except the forth level which is of course the dragon level 8O
Very detailed maps.  It even has a detailed table of random encounters (don't roll a "00", you get 5 wights :? )Alot of love and dedication went into this and it was for but a single group!!

Finding this item brought back a big RGP smile to me.  I think I may just keep it for future reference :wink:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:34 am 

Thats a great little find! I actually think making the maps into the screen is a nice touch, if not a little harder to read maybe.
I've got dozen of homebrew mods of this kind, with extensive maps and encounters etc, that I knocked up over the years and one day, maybe they'll bring a smile too :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:44 am 

actually i think its pretty damn cool - i love stuff like that. its great seeing how others plan their stuff for games :)

not for everyone - but great overall find jeff!

best

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 am 

Now you need to look for a publisher. The cover art is practically done.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:19 am 

I love it.  That's the stuff everyone is looking for, I think.  I would feel proud to have it.  

Any hints at who wrote it?  You know it could become like the Pearlman Handbook.

Nice find.  (I like the cover art.  But if I were to redo it I would have the whatever artist I chose to stay true to the original art.)

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 am 

If there's an author's name and locale, I'll give it an entry on Afterglow2.com. Maybe it's about time we had a Homebrew section there. These are always a great find when the writer has gone that little bit further than your average DM to make himself a module.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:23 pm 

Remember, we do S&W--so if its cool:)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:18 am 

If you don't keep it can I have it?

That's a pretty cool piece of D&D history right there.    8O  Nothing to make fun of at all.  8)

If that writer was the sort of gamer I think he was, his name has got to be on the manuscript somewhere.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:22 am 

Very cool!  8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:06 am 

Jeff, if you can run a copy of this for me, I'd like to take a whack at converting it and running it.  Maybe it'll appear at NTRPG con someday!

And the author/artist definitely needs to get props.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:23 am 

Out of interest, how many pages are there in this? It looks like a fair few pages there in the furthest left bundle in the 3rd picture?

Be fun to see this get some light of day again  :D

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:59 pm 

Well I thought there may be some interest in this item, it is getting a little viral :lol:

So far three offers to purchase (what would anybody charge fopr this ?) Two too publish, and a few people requested copies.

Interesting :?   Well it is very cool.  I am going to comb the contents for an author for now and I will make a PDF and send it to anybody that wants one :)

As for publishing... Why not :)   It just needs a little backstory and such to go with it and it is basically ready to go.

I haven't become this excited about an RPG adventure for quite some time.  Maybe an Elmore cover as well :lol:

THanks guys

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:05 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Out of interest, how many pages are there in this? It looks like a fair few pages there in the furthest left bundle in the 3rd picture?

Be fun to see this get some light of day again  :D

12 typed pages, plus maps

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:07 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Interesting :?   Well it is very cool.  I am going to comb the contents for an author for now and I will make a PDF and send it to anybody that wants one :)

Me!  Me!  *waves hand vigorously*

This sort of thing is hugely fun.

Check among the books in the collection you purchased:  Likely, the author's name is in a number of them.  And, he is likely to be local, since he probably sold his stuff in a single lot.  If nothing else, you are likely to hit the name of one of his close gaming associates.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Last edited by FormCritic on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:09 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
Me!  Me!  *waves hand vigorously*

This sort of think is hugely fun.

Check among the books in the collection you purchased:  Likely, the author's name is in a number of them.  And, he is likely to be local, since he probably sold his stuff in a single lot.  If nothing else, you are likely to hit the name of one of his close gaming associates.

It was actually an older gal (by older I meant older than me of course), she was very nice.  Good idea about looking over the books

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:46 pm 

Put me down for a PDF.

Question:  are there any copyright problems with publishing this?  I understand you own the physical item but does that mean you have the right to formally publish?  Just wondering.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Put me down for a PDF.

Question:  are there any copyright problems with publishing this?  I understand you own the physical item but does that mean you have the right to formally publish?  Just wondering.

Martin

From what I have checked into, owning a manuscript does not confer the right to publish the module.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:04 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
From what I have checked into, owning a manuscript does not confer the right to publish the module.

This is true. You have to acquire publishing rights. Look at it this way. Say you buy the original manuscript for X1 The Isle of Dread. You just go out and pdf it, and distribute it. You can make your own pdf, but that is about it. This applies to projects that were or were not actually published.

That said, I would love to see a pdf copy if you get through to the author!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Next