Troll Lord Games Crusader # 1
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:36 pm 

Any information on multiple printings of TLG's Crusader # 1?  I just picked up a second copy, and was surprised to note differences:

Note the addition of a price on the left hand copy, also the artwork/colour doesn't go to the edge leaving a white border.  The interior contents appear identical.

Also, any idea how many of these might have been produced?

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:59 pm 

Rumors I have read:
The First Printing of the Premier issue sold out soon after publishing as the print run was very small.
After a lot of complaining from subscirbers and other fans, several years later they re-printed that issue in a larger print run.

I would not be able to tell an original from the re-print as I do not own either, but at a guess, I would bet the inside cover of each copy (publishers page) will have a printing date.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:17 pm 

I believe the one on the right with the price is the 1st print.  When the Trolls had their last big sale, I purchased a Crusader #1 (reprint) and it does not have the price.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:44 am 

It would be good if we could get someone from over on the TLG website, or persoanl experience from inside to comment. I notice that all the images online appear to be the one without the price tag. I also note that when TLG published the PDF, it had no price tag and the words SECOND PRINTING at the bottom of the copyright page beneath the shaded box column.

Does either copy have the words SECOND PRINTING in them?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:05 am 

Neither of my copies say 'second printing'

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:38 pm 

The second printing does not have a price on the cover.  It has the words "SECOND PRINTING 2009" on the bottom of the inside front cover to the right of the words "The Crusader Journal".

[Edit:  This may not be a second printing but a third printing.  The mystery deepens . . . ]

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm 

Sorry, I do not have a 2nd printing to check or verify, not that my being "an insider" would matter as it seems the question has been answered.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:27 pm 

On mine, the one without the price does not have the second edition identifier on the inside page... I have sent an inquiry to the person I bought it from... hopefully there's more light yet to be shined :)  Crusader #1 would have to be one of the more significant periodicals of the D20 age, no?

Meanwhile, does anyone recall when in 2009 the second prints were available?

And, any thoughts as to print run size?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:09 pm 

The reprint stopped being a PDF-only item for the 2009 "12 Days of Christmas Sale," announced Dec 04, 2009.

Print runs would likely be something like this:

#1, 1st print -- under 500

#1, 2nd print -- around 1000

But, these are pure guesses.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:46 pm 

davidc wrote:On mine, the one without the price does not have the second edition identifier on the inside page... I have sent an inquiry to the person I bought it from... hopefully there's more light yet to be shined :)  Crusader #1 would have to be one of the more significant periodicals of the D20 age, no?

Meanwhile, does anyone recall when in 2009 the second prints were available?

And, any thoughts as to print run size?

I picked up that Crusader #1 in an auction lot at the end of 2009. The guy was selling his collection through one of those stores that puts the items up on ebay and takes a big percentage. Seems unlikely that it was a 2nd print if they were only being offered for sale in Dec 2009

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:21 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:Seems unlikely that it was a 2nd print if they were only being offered for sale in Dec 2009

I think from what has been said already is that there are most likely 3 different prints.

The two posted in the initial message and a 3rd print done in Dec 2009 that states "SECOND PRINTING 2009".

I would suggest that maybe the first print was considered a pre-pub run for GenCon or something similar that has been done for a number of the Castle Zagyg modules.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:23 am 

Mars wrote:
I think from what has been said already is that there are most likely 3 different prints.

The two posted in the initial message and a 3rd print done in Dec 2009 that states "SECOND PRINTING 2009".

I would suggest that maybe the first print was considered a pre-pub run for GenCon or something similar that has been done for a number of the Castle Zagyg modules.

This is my thinking. It appears as though there are two first printings, one with the price and one without the price, unless of course one is a fake. But, if one were a fake (let's say a lazer colour copy Kinko job), it would seem odd that the price were added/removed from the image when the fake were being created, or that the words 'Second Printing' were removed also. That's a helluva specific way to go about creating a fake.

So my thinking is we have a 1st printing, a 2nd printing in 2009, and an unknown printing that either predates the two, or sits between the 1st and 2nd printings.

The only way to answer this definitively would be to ask one of the TLG crew. They have been quite approachable in the past.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:07 pm 

I just wanted to say 'thanks' for the thoughts & consideration Gentlemen... not the deepest mystery in the rpg universe, but magazines & periodicals are of interest to me... much obliged :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:05 pm 

FWIW, I know I got mine before they had a second printing and it has the price on the cover.

Eulaliaaa!!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:38 am 

Deogolf wrote:FWIW, I know I got mine before they had a second printing and it has the price on the cover.

I've found the copy I have and it's identical to the one with the $3.50 in the corner. It also has no 'second printing' designation inside, so it appears to be a first printing, with the price on it. The copy I have came from NKG as it's still in it's boarded comic bag with NKG's sticker on it. I have no reason to believe it's not genuine, so it looks like we have tree different printings of this product if there are copies out there with 'second printing' written inside.

Could someone with a second printing post a picture of the front cover and the inside lower front cover if it stating 'second printing'? Would be good to have all three confirmed before we start digging into print histories.