Tortured souls magazines
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:54 am 

I didn't notice before, but it seems to exist at least 2 different prints of this magazine. The ones picture on Ian website, but I have others similar but with differences in cover.

For example, #3 issue, I have a copy with the free campaign map, and another without (the cover price is 2.95 instead of 1.95£). There is some other differences inside.
Actually, the main difference is the cover price, sticker on front and back (and content in issue 3, i don't know for issues 1 and 2)
Starting from #7, it seems to be only one print.
Any other differences in issue #1 and #2?

It has been already discussed or not?

Here some pics:

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:59 pm 

What I wouldn't give for a set of ANY prints...  :wink:  :lol:

Interesting to know that there are different ones though, haven't seen the variations before.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:25 pm 

I'm glad to have mine, but dammit if I don't have to show this to my wife who is going to demand that we find those variations... though I think those price differences are no "official" but some retailer mark-up. Looks like tape to me, or a sticker, but I dunno. The cover version difference is obvious, though, lacking that banner on the corner.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:41 pm 

On issue #3, it is directly printed, $1.95 has been changed to £2.95. On following issues, the £2.95 cover price are stickers. But this is exactly the same font and size than cover prices. Additionnally, on the back, there is a sticker on subcription prices, stating that for a subscription you have to contact SAE and the prices are the new price. So I guess it was an official change for the price, according to a second edition run.
I would be interested to look on issues #1 and #2 if cover price is printed or sticked. I only have the £1.95 version of both.

In Issue#3, the difference are obvious on 1st page, editiorial content.

Perhaps Ian would know something about these versions?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:48 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tortured-Souls-ma ... 27b5569378

Not sure if you can make too much out of this?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:09 pm 

#1 and #2 are the £1.95 version. Nice lot though.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:45 am 

All 12 of mine indicate 2.95... some stickers, some printed:

1 - printed
2 - sticker
3 - printed
4, 5, 6 - printed
7-12 - printed

# 1 is dated October 1983 - I'm not sure if that's different from the 1.95 printing?

# 2, which has a sticker on the cover, also has a stiker covering the back cover's subscription prices "Please see current issue" for rates...

I'd be curious if the 2.95 versions were months-later (years?) reprints like the first few White Dwarfs, or if all the printings occurred roughly around their publication dates...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:15 am 

As I recall, some of the early prints retailed at £1.99 and when the later editions were published at £2.99, back order stock was then stickered £2.99 over the £1.99 printed on the module. I think this happened sometime towards the end of '84, about the time things began taking off with the Integrated Games tie-in boxed sets.

They really are an impressive set in anyone's collection; they look great on display. Well worth putting together, with or without the CDM boxed sets.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:52 am 

lokiwookie wrote:In Issue#3, the difference are obvious on 1st page, editiorial content.

Is that the only difference you see inside?  Does it seem that the £1.95 version is earlier?

What about for the other issues?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:19 am 

TheHistorian wrote:
Is that the only difference you see inside?  Does it seem that the £1.95 version is earlier?

What about for the other issues?

Yes, the £1.95 is earlier. As Ian said, I guess that they changed price when the new edition was released.

As for the differences, in issue #3: the price cover (printed on both), the cover, obviously, and the first page inside (the one pictured). On the back cover, prices have been changed (printed too). The map is not included in the 2nd print of TS3. There is a small explanation about the fact that they have not reprinted it in this new edition, and  that the map could be ordered directly from Beast Entz.

I will be very interested to know if it exists some differences like these ones in the £2.95 edition of issues #1 and #2 (if exist).

For later issues, no differences are present (only the sticker).

(very nice pic David! It is a very nice mag, high quality)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:35 am 

Coincidentally, the Issue 3 reprint was released at the same time IG's The Hall of the Dwarven Kings. And I believe it was later that year, fall, that The Golden Spire was given away with a tie in way back to Issue 1 to promote TS! and it's back catalog. I don't remember exactly what TM Games came on board as the distributor, but a lot of consolidation and jockeying for position was happening in the market at this time.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:41 am 

ashmire13 wrote:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Not sure if you can make too much out of this?

Well...  :idea:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 am 

might be worth an offer, but shame it's missing a couple of adventures..  8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:05 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:the Issue 3 reprint was released at the same time IG's The Hall of the Dwarven Kings. And I believe it was later that year, fall, that The Golden Spire was given away with a tie in way back to Issue 1 to promote TS! and it's back catalog.

Strangely, the copyright date has not been changed on issue#3 reprint. March 1984. They should have added "March 1984, july 1984" or something like this, if they reprinted it during the summer or fall. They changed the 1st page, but did not change/add the copyright date.

ashmire13 wrote:might be worth an offer, but shame it's missing a couple of adventures..  8)

And a incomplete mag is a worthless mag. You will have to buy another one, complete...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:20 am 

lokiwookie wrote:
And a incomplete mag is a worthless mag. You will have to buy another one, complete...

Depends on what you want it for and what it costs!  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:03 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Strangely, the copyright date has not been changed on issue#3 reprint. March 1984. They should have added "March 1984, july 1984" or something like this, if they reprinted it during the summer or fall. They changed the 1st page, but did not change/add the copyright date.

Is there a corresponding change to the adverts or printing on the same page on the other side of the staples? Presumably the last page? Any changes to the adverts within the module? This may be a case of just changing the one page for some reason to republish. Anyone added to the credits? Any disclaimer added?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:54 pm 

Only the 1st page is different. However, I noticed after your suggestion about credits, that they added D&D and Dungeons & Dragons in the list of Trademark (in the £1.95 there is only AD&D and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons; in this one, there is AD&D and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and Dungeons & Dragons, D&D). They added Tunnels & Trolls as well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:14 pm 

That could be change to the standard blurb that then followed with every subsequent issue.

Next