Pathfinder selling as well as 4e
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:39 am 

puterdragon wrote:
Good to get your  read on this. Sounds like 3e minis could enjoy a steady (but slow) increase in value then. I think I read somewhere that Paizo was producing minis now/soon.
Also, I've been thinking 3.75e Paizo'd be my first choice for adventure submissions--4e WotC and GG being further down.

Pathfinder has a mini line, they are produced by Reaper Minis I believe.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:11 am 

My group is starting a new campaign on Saturday.  

We're switching from 3.5 to Pathfinder.  Most of my group has the Pathfinder RPG book already.  The ones who don't are getting it shortly.

One of the questions I was asked was, "Is Pathfinder available in stores?"

As far as the local Barnes and Noble is concerned the answer is "No."

Pathfinder books tend to sell quickly.  4th Edition books are all over the shelves.

The same is true of the Tacoma Half Price Books store.  Pathfinder items do not linger long on their shelves, while other materials hang around for months.  (Surprisingly, the 3.0 and 3.5 items seem to move faster than a lot of the 2nd Edition publications.)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:30 pm 

FormCritic wrote: the 3.0 and 3.5 items seem to move faster than a lot of the 2nd Edition publications.

I think I now understand why TSR continued to print the 1e books for several years into the 2e era. Same goes for the OCE.

WotC however has not continued the practice. Based on your description of lingering 2e stock a decade later, maybe that was a wise choice. This time around, I wonder if it was intended to create a sort of pump-priming suction effect for 4e:
-3e goes out of print.
-demand for 3e continues.
-with no new printings, old 3e stock sells well.
-distributors & retailers looking to replenish their stocks do so from what is available, 4e.
-their orders are influenced by the run on 3e.

FormCritic wrote:Pathfinder books tend to sell quickly.

They seem to have achieved real-life presto-chango marketing magic. Dragon & Dungeon magazines had always been the absolute bottom-feeders of collectability, & of general regard, since The Dragon lost its "The."

There is not a lot of substantial difference between a Pathfinder module & a Paizo-era Dungeon article. Yet one is the new hotness, while the other occupies those same heaps of unsold/unwanted 2e & 4e material.

Previous