Pathfinder selling as well as 4e
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:41 am 

Looks like Pathfinder is selling as well as 4e now 8O

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/18504.html

Interesting :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:09 am 

Hiya,

in the UK, I would guess Pathfinder has been out-performing 4th Ed for quite a while now.

Interesting on the Dresden Files as well - was thinking of picking up the DVD - does anyone know if its any good?

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:58 am 

PF is certainly an anomily here in the UK. Seems to be in stock everywhere, but none of the local gaming groups play it. Wondering if it's being picked up more by the teenage crowd than the 20/30 somethings?

4E seems to have taken a backseat in most of the FLGSs up here (Scotland) if POS is anything to go by. Warhammer still doing roaring business also. War Machine snapping at their tails.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:09 am 

8O

I guess AotC reinventing the game as 4E really was a mistake.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:26 am 

This is extremely amusing. I got a thread locked on DF for suggesting that Pathfinder was going to outpace 4e. I was assured that pathfinder sales are only 1/100th of 4e sales. Personally I think that there was a confusion between the gross sales of WotC and the gross sales of only the 4e division of WotC. It would be interesting to see dollar totals.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:17 am 

Sardan wrote:AotC

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:40 am 

Hi,

last year at Spiel I sold 12 x 3.5 ed phbs at roughly $50 a pop.

Didnt sell any 4th ed, despite the 4th phbs being roughly $15

I very rarely get Pathfinder in stock (I only buy 2nd hand items) as people dont part with it.

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:16 am 

lawrenson wrote:Hiya,

in the UK, I would guess Pathfinder has been out-performing 4th Ed for quite a while now.

Interesting on the Dresden Files as well - was thinking of picking up the DVD - does anyone know if its any good?

Cheers,
Malc

The TV series was decent.  Several deviations were made from the novels (being changed from a written format to a viewed one makes some thing necessary) but it is enjoyable.  

The RPG is a piece of art (and functional art at that).  This is the only RPG that I've purchased based off of an IP that I can say was done as true to the IP as possible.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:33 am 

We play pathfinder and our local FLGS seems to always be selling out of it, but they always have 4th ed in stock :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:54 am 

I wonder if Paizo's sales are outpacing WotC (not including Hasbro) if you include everything they release or sell from their site.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:04 pm 

Plaag wrote:I wonder if Paizo's sales are outpacing WotC (not including Hasbro) if you include everything they release or sell from their site.

ShaneG.

I know 3 people that buy exclusively from the Paizo webiste (I tend to go to amazon for the discount  :) )  they tell me they want to support Paizo so they dole out the full retail from the website.  Sounds weird but it is true. :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:32 pm 

I'm reading through the PF Core Rulebook and I'm not surprised. The quality of PF will retain Paizo some decent market share. Is Paizo really positioned as the only 3e publisher now?
But I'm wondering if the revenue totals for WotC 4e would include 4e miniatures sales. I think the minis sales would affect the numbers.

(Runelords AP is getting htf locally now.)

Gildor speaks to Frodo: 'Others dwelt here before hobbits were; and others will dwell here again when hobbits are no more. The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot for ever fence it out.'--Tolkien 

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:17 pm 

puterdragon wrote:I'm reading through the PF Core Rulebook and I'm not surprised. The quality of PF will retain Paizo some decent market share. Is Paizo really positioned as the only 3e publisher now?
But I'm wondering if the revenue totals for WotC 4e would include 4e miniatures sales. I think the minis sales would affect the numbers.

(Runelords AP is getting htf locally now.)

The new miniature line for WOTC is doing terribly.  They cancelled the game that went with it and reduced the quality substatially. Many of the fans of the old line are not supporting the new junk.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:28 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
I know 3 people that buy exclusively from the Paizo webiste (I tend to go to amazon for the discount  :) )  they tell me they want to support Paizo so they dole out the full retail from the website.  Sounds weird but it is true. :?

I subscribe through the Paizo site for the free .pdfs.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:23 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:This is extremely amusing. I got a thread locked on DF for suggesting that Pathfinder was going to outpace 4e.

Um, no, that thread was locked because DF doesn't handle either 4e or Pathfinder, so it was completely off topic for the site. Deal with it.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:34 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Um, no, that thread was locked because DF doesn't handle either 4e or Pathfinder, so it was completely off topic for the site. Deal with it.

Naw Frank, it got locked because it was a bit of a ruckus. Sure it was off-topic as hell for DF but the mods were pretty much letting it slide on the general discussion forum as they do most topics there. I don't think I'd bothered to reply to the pro-4e/WotC guy for a couple of days but after poking him a couple of times earlier he really couldn't let things go.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:45 pm 

Careful Jason. You could get banned from there for a week for discussing DF moderation here. Steve gets rather prickly when you do stuff like that. :roll:

That's why I haven't been back in five years.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:31 am 

JasonZavoda wrote: I got a thread locked on DF for suggesting that Pathfinder was going to outpace 4e. I was assured that pathfinder sales are only 1/100th of 4e sales.

Both are characteristic of DF. I've read and participated in a number of threads over there which deal with sales comparisons - how well one line is doing or did in the past. Always there is someone who insists on some absurd premise or other. I wonder if it's the same person? And of course, the constant thread locking.

Next