Frog God Games Makes good - damaged but quickly replaced
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:54 pm 

Just received my print copies of Frog God Games K10 and K12, both severly damaged. Whoever mailed them dumped these softcover books in a bubble mailer with nothing else and sent them media mail, not even a Do Not Bend on the package. Corners are rolled and bent and the postman was able to fold them into a nice U to fit in the mailbox.

I had the PDFs as reading copies, but no point in bothering with that now since these brand new books are trashed to start with. Two pieces of cardboard and a freaking Do Not Bend has proved surprisingly effective, but I would have coughed up the extra bucks for a box if I knew the FGG guys were going the bubble mailed route.

Just a word of warning for anyone doing further orders from FGG, and especially for the big subscription hardcover. FGG does not know how to package items for the cruel world of USPS shipping.

NOTE: FGG has responded immediately and is replacing the damaged copies. Kudos for excellent customer service.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Last edited by JasonZavoda on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:00 pm 

Have they made any offer on replacements?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:18 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Have they made any offer on replacements?

Just emailed them. I am just a bit shocked by their shipping methods, but I don't know if whoever did the shipping has experience with the USPS and their treatment of bubble envelopes sent media mail. These books are soft enough for a mailman to bend into a nice U and stuff in a mailbox regardless of how they survive the crosscountry postal service. A Fragile or Do Not Bend would have cost nothing and perhaps kept the books from that extra special bit of attention.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:22 pm 

Yep, we suffer the same over here with Royal Mail. If its in a bendable envelope and needs a bit of a U bend to get through the letter box, then it'll get it...  :roll:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:09 pm 

and new copuies being mailed tomorrow w/ DNB and cardboard.

Anyone else have problems?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:15 pm 

tsathogga wrote:and new copuies being mailed tomorrow w/ DNB and cardboard.

Yes, I just received my copies as well yesterday. They're a bit wavy, but some of the corners definitely were bent up and one got a tear on the spine.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:20 pm 

tsathogga wrote:and new copuies being mailed tomorrow w/ DNB and cardboard.

Thanks very much. I appreciate the quick response.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:21 pm 

[email protected]

I'll hook you up.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:24 pm 

Just ordered heavier mailers, bubble wrap inserts and DNB labels

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:28 pm 

Thanks as well

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:31 pm 

tsathogga wrote:Just ordered heavier mailers, bubble wrap inserts and DNB labels

The big thing are the inserts. As long as they are as wide and long as the books themselves (and sturdy) you kind of create a two sided box within the mailer and protect the corners during shipping as well as making it hard(er) for the evil postal carriers to bend. If you have seen the EO artwork thread you will know that it is impossible to Postal proof any package (Mike's packaging of the prints was proof against anything but purely malicious damage, but that didn't stop the USPS from crushing and bending the mailing tubes when they really wanted to), but some cardboard and DNB labels (or black or red marker works fine) will stop a lot of casual or careless damage.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:51 pm 

Mine actually arrive with very little damage, even though the postal carrier did bend the books to fit in the mail box.  Just some corner dings is all I see.  I do like my postal carriers though, doesn't leave boxes on top of the mail box or bend those with stiff backing like they did at my old place, rather leaves them at my door.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:14 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:The big thing are the inserts. As long as they are as wide and long as the books themselves (and sturdy) you kind of create a two sided box within the mailer and protect the corners during shipping as well as making it hard(er) for the evil postal carriers to bend.

Sorry to hear the Ogres at the postal office squashed some more perfectly good books ...nothing is more sad than opening a package you've eagerly been waiting for to see compressed corners and creased covers.  Glad to hear about the good customer service and replacements though.

Even better is using a single insert (preferably thicker cardboard) much wider & longer than the books themselves, and then saran or shrink wrapping the books to the center of this and then placing inside a flat box or mailer.  The packaging is still light and flat but you could drop this from an exaggerated height and have it still survive without damage to the contents.  Plus bending into the mail box is all but eliminated.  Lulu uses this method and it works.  Probably the one thing they do best.

Who says my inspiration was D&D?  That was just a background phenomenon.
                                          -- Ken St. Andre

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:35 pm 

Sorry to say I arrived home today to find K10 and K12 crammed into a too-small space, resulting in crinkly spines.  Hate to complain, but can you help, Bill?

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:04 am 

Please email me with address etc

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:04 am 

This is an important detail to remember.

Troll Lord Games stumbled badly in the shipping of Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works.   Don't let this happen to Frog God.  

A small amount of due diligence and extra care in shipping can make a huge difference.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:35 pm 

September 15, 2010

A bit of a delay will occur in shipping. Due to a few damaged books, I am changing shipping a bit. I ordered boxes and we will start shipping using these. I will have to up fees a bit (boxes are expensive), but you can rest assured you will get a better book that way. For recent orders, I expect a week or so until the boxes arrive. I will ship as soon as they do. I apologize for the delay, but I want to make sure we maintain our quality.

Thanks for the help Jason!

ps--I am going a bit overboard on this now (these new mailing should survice a nuke)--but as a collector, I get what you guys mean. I have a "huge" mailbox, so nothing ever gets crammed in; but I definitely have taken this to heart.

pps--thanks all for the heads up. Its the folks that don't say anything that I am worried about. Its all about customer service in this industry, and i need to know when i need to change something.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:55 pm 

Thank you again, I appreciate the quick response, and no worries on the delay.

Next