Axis and Allies, 1940 [Global]
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:27 pm 

Totally not an RPG and off topic, but I wanted to share one of my all time favorite games that is taking it to a new level.

First of all, you make the superboard (i.e. Global) by combining the two set's boards (Axis and Allies Pacific 1940 and Axis and Allies Europe 1940). The combined board is about 6ft. long and 3ft. wide. It has 10 countries, including France, China, ANZAC, UK (Pacifc and Europe UK are now seperate entities), and Italy.

I'll try to post some pictures as soon as possible.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:50 am 

Does it play well? I don't care for either game on its own as much as the old school version (and really old school version).

Ask me about my new M16!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:41 am 

It took us a little over an hour to set up, and then my roommate called and said that he was locked out of the house.

So I'll find out next Wednesday.   :lol:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:25 am 

I'm also interested to hear how this one plays.  :)  We used to play the original Axis & Allies quite a bit as kids and I always loved it.  I even got the 50th Anniversary Edition not too long ago... but I have yet to play it.  I heard it is a great version of the old-school-style game.  :)  I think it only adds Italy as a country and a few new pieces... like cruisers... so it isn't way different from the old game.  I hope to play it sometime soon!  :D

~Kat  ^_^

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:40 am 

So last night we played for another six hours, and did turns 4 through 6 (and Germany's invasion of Russia at the start of turn 7).

The Luftwaffe wiped out the British fleet as the panzers and tigers continued it's slow and stead pace towards Moscow. Suprisingly, Italy held most of it's original territories and maintained dominance in the Mediterranean.

The other Axis of evil did not fare as well. Japan split it's fleet in a surprise attack against American forces in the Philippines, which the Americans were able to regroup from and pick apart the Japanese fleet. This gave ANZAC valuable time to regroup and assemble a fleet to help support the US forces in the area.

UK (India) tried to keep the Burma Road open to give China it's IPC bonus, but Japan had better success with it's ground forces than it's fleet, and kept the Chinese forces on the board to a minimum.

The United States focused it's economic power in the Asian theater and more or less wiped out the Japanese fleet, and began to ferry units across from Alaska into Russia to try and send them support. But it was to little to late...

At the start of turn 7, the Germany invaded Russia [22 tanks, 5 artillery, 3 mechanized infantry, and 7 men]. Russia defended with [22 men, 4 tanks, 1 tactical bomber, and 2 fighters]. It was one of the most one-sided dice rolling events I've seen in a while, because for most of the game, my dice rolling was sub-par (so maybe I was due a turn). I sacked Moscow with 22 tanks and 1 artillery piece remaining.

I give the slight edge to the Axis at this point. And I say only slight because Japan has to be able to hold onto its ground forces for a couple of turns while the Axis meet it's 8-city victory condition.

----------------------------------------------------------

The new things I had to keep focus on were the new economic bonus conditions (i.e.):

- If there were German subs in play, it denied the UK an economic bonus
- Subs in certain areas denied countries IPC's [harassment... wolf pack.. etc...]
- Controlling certain pieces of land gave you extra IPC's

Speaking of IPC's neither of the two boxes sets had any paper money in them. What the hell were they thinking???  :o

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:59 am 

Katchoo wrote:We used to play the original Axis & Allies quite a bit as kids and I always loved it.
Ah yes, liked that Nova version with counters and no plastic.

Or were you referring to the first major revision/reissue from MB?  :wink:

Invincible Overlord wrote:Germany invaded Russia [22 tanks...] I sacked Moscow with 22 tanks and 1 artillery piece remaining.

new economic bonus conditions (i.e.): (1) subs... (2) subs...

Holy *** on point 1... truly global and noteworthy on point 2.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:41 pm 

ExTSR wrote:
Katchoo wrote:We used to play the original Axis & Allies quite a bit as kids and I always loved it.

Ah yes, liked that Nova version with counters and no plastic.

Or were you referring to the first major revision/reissue from MB?

Ah... I worded that inaccurately.  I played the MB reissue (c.1984) and not the true original.  ;)  I'd love to get my hands on a Nova copy, though.  :D  I know of it, but have never actually seen a copy.

~Kat  ^_^