Judges Guild Journal #19
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:01 pm 

In "Judges Guild Journal #19 " (Feb/March, 1980), there is an article called "A new Melee System by Len Lakofka"

Can someone tell me if this article is (as i suppose) about AD&D 1st edition?

Besides, what interests me the most is knowing if this new combat system is worth using. Is it innovative, interesting? Maybe someone on Acaeum tried it in the past.

thanks

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:43 am 

As written, it does not seem to be for AD&D.  Here is a quote of the first section of the article:

The following is the condensation of a system used by me through 1977 and late 1978.  While the system is more "realistic," if you will, it is also more time-consuming.  Yet it has met with good reception by players since they get more of a feel of the melee.  Obviously, as you read on, you will find this system is designed for Human, Humanoid and Demihuman combats.  It is not applicable to combat between humans and monster and monster and monster and monsters.   
    The System goes through these five steps:
    1) Is there a hit upon the unamored body? (Shields are considered here.)
    2)  If ther is a hit where has the target been hit?
    3)  How much of the damage is absorbed by worn armor (if any)?
    4)  Has the blow caused any Special Damage?
    5)  What is the result of the Special Damage (if any)?

Here is another section that seems to indicate the older roots of the system:

Hit location is measured by Hit Die difference between opponents.  Important Adjustment:  Kobold=1st level Fighter; Goblin = 2nd level fighter; Orc = 3rd level Fighter; Hobgoblin = 4th level Fighter; Bugbear = 5th level Fighter; Ogre = 6th level Fighter; Troll/Hill Giant = 9th level Fighter; Fire Giant = 11th level Fighter; Stone Giant = 13th level Fighter; Cloud/Storm Giants = 15th level Fighters.

Most of the article is charts, and it ends with this statement:

This entire system is NOT very usable with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and is almost unworkable for a large melee but it is good for jousts and small individual combats.  If there is a question whether an area of the body is covered by armor, use percentile dice to determine coverage, then whether the Hit was within or beyond that percentile range.

Probably could have saved myself some time by skipping down to that last statement, which answers your question directly.  I was typing along, trying to be helpful.  

The discussion of monsters as equal to fighter levels marks the system as OD&D.  So (I presume) does the curious fact that stone giants are rated as better fighters than fire giants.  "1977 and late 1978" would fit better with OD&D, but would possibly intersect with the earliest manifestations of AD&D.

Most of the article is charts.  It reads like something from the Arduin Grimoire.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:51 am 

Is should add:  The Judges Guild Journal #19 is jammed with content.  

There are articles related to D&D game mechanics and wargames, a "witches" character class, a review of Star Trek: The Motion Picture ("a patchwork masterpiece that truly shines in some areas and fails unutterably in others.") and "The Dungeon Valdemor" by Bill Peschel (with five levels of old-school crawling).

All in all, not a bad investment of old-school dollars at $2.80, even back in 1980.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:03 am 

thanks a lot for your invaluable help and support in typing this long answer  :D

It was very helpful to read because i changed my mind now. Before reading i  
was on the point of buying a copy, but now that i know the article is not very much about AD&D, i'm going to spend my little money somewhere else.

Anyway, you mentioned several articles are inside that issue, are there any about AD&D mechanics apart those you already wrote down (witches character class is about OD&D, i presume).

thanks again

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:18 am 

By the way, are there any issue of "Judges guild journal" worth buying in your opinion?

i'm always looking for AD&D new rules and ideas, particularly about magic.

thanks