Frog God Games News!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 pm 

Funny to listen to the bloggers bitch about what is actually a really good thing.

I do sympathize with the hand-drawn map bias.

The computer maps don't just have less life and character....they are often just plain bad.

I think the distinction is probably the difference between a crap map of a village that someone made on a D&D mapping program and one made by an actual graphic artist.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:41 pm 

And another thought...

Gary Gygax wrote that he was surprised when he saw his first print copy of The Canting Crew, published by Troll Lord Games.

On page 14 there is a map of "Ludnum," a hypothetical fantasy city.

Gygax had provided a hand-drawn map, which the Troll Lord guys went ahead and reproduced directly from his sketch.  Gygax had assumed that they would have a professional re-draw the map for publication.

I say...damn good choice.  It is a crude map, but it has its own grace and gamer-goodness style.  My only wish is that they had reproduced the full-sized map, rather than slug it down onto half a page.  

(Oh - and - attention game publishers - printing an RPG book on silly tan or parchment paper does not make it look cool.  It makes it look silly and it is much harder to read.  Just thought I'd add that in.)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:18 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Am I right in reading it that Swords & Sorcery is D&D 3.5Ed and Swords and Wizardry is (O)D&D, essentially?

I like the sound of the Saturday Night Specials and One Night Stands too..  :lol:

Congratulations on your new venture and I wish you all the success in the world!  I've been collecting OD&D material for years, and have recently started collecting Pathfinder material because it is such high quality.  It's great to see that you're involved in both.  (I also "collect" OSR material, if PDFs can be considered collectibles.)

I am curious about adhmire13's question.  It wasn't entirely clear to me which material is 0E and which is 3.5E.

But I'm not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, so it could be "user error".

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:14 pm 

Keith; almost all books will be released for both systems; except for Tsar (for now) and the rulebook, we are making 2 versions of everything--NOT dual; statted, but actual different layouts and prints.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:15 pm 

Is essentially 0e, yes. Expanded 0e soon; to incorporate SRD legal stuff in Strategic Review and Dragon's early issues.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:35 pm 

tsathogga wrote:Is essentially 0e, yes. Expanded 0e soon; to incorporate SRD legal stuff in Strategic Review and Dragon's early issues.

Oh, that is going to be outstanding.

Need to break open my piggy bank :-)

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:03 pm 

ST4 Slumbering Tsar: Temple-City of Orcus, Part 1 - The Tower of Weeping Sores is now out.

So anyway, for all of you not in the know, Slumbering Tsar: Temple-City of Orcus, Part 1 - The Tower of Weeping Sores is now available for sale at talesofthefroggod.com.  I presume it will be available for sale at Paizo and at DTRPG soon, as well (I'm guessing maybe tomorrow).

So what's the big deal, you say?  Well, here's the big deal.

While The Tower of Weeping Sores is the 4th part of the overall Slumbering Tsar Saga, unlike the first three parts which saw publication a couple years ago in a 3.5 format as Slumbering Tsar: The Desolation before being recently updated to PF RPG, Temple-City of Orcus has never been published before.  That's right.  Though this thing was written 6 years ago along with the rest of it, this is the first time that anyone outside of myself, my playtesters, and the guys at Necromancer Games has ever seen a glimpse of the great Temple-City of Tsar itself.

So if you've read through or played through the adventures that comprise The Desolation [spoiler] and got to the part at the end with the dragon guardian [/spoiler], now you finally get to see what happens next rather than just being dangled in frustrating limbo for years.

Part 1 - The Tower of Weeping Sores covers only the actual various gates and walls of the city, including the gate fortress Kirash Durgaut and the dreaded Tower of Weeping Sores perched atop its battlements, but it also serves as the stepping stone for your first glimpse of what lies beyond--which includes the entire city map.

There are 4 more parts to the Temple-City portion of the saga that then explore the ruins of Tsar itself as they ascend through the various terraces that the city was built upon up to the foundations of the great Citadel of Orcus (to be explored in the final 5 parts of Slumbering Tsar: The Hidden Citadel).

So get it now and finally see the unseen, what lies beyond the Tar Pits of Malerix through the obscuring haze that before could only be seen as the vaguest suggestion of something terrible.  That "something" is the city of Tsar.

To further whet your appetite, Part 2 - The Lower City should be out in just a couple weeks to allow you to begin to explore the city within the walls as well.  But at 37,000 words (a little longer than a typical Paizo AP adventure), the Tower of Weeping Sores ought to keep you occupied for a bit.

Enjoy!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:46 am 

Greg A Vaughan wrote:There are 4 more parts to the Temple-City portion of the saga that then explore the ruins of Tsar itself as they ascend through the various terraces that the city was built upon up to the foundations of the great Citadel of Orcus (to be explored in the final 5 parts of Slumbering Tsar: The Hidden Citadel).

(The italics above are mine.)

Won't a high level party just fly directly to the top terrace?

There must be something stopping them.  :?

(In my own campaign world the fly spell does not exist.)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:56 am 

But that would just take the fun out of exploring. If they want to fly, that's dull...

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:57 am 

Probably more to it than that.  Looking forward to finding out. :salut:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:02 am 

FormCritic wrote:
Won't a high level party just fly directly to the top terrace?
There must be something stopping them.  :?

Of course. The tongue of the Frog God... :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:29 am 

Howdy all, i am back on this old thread since i need an info: i checked my stuff and found that in the K-series there is a "hole"... i miss the K11 module... i tried to retrieve info on the web but found nothing... what is the K11 module?
thanks and ciaooo

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:48 pm 

aia wrote in Frog God Games News!:Howdy all, i am back on this old thread since i need an info: i checked my stuff and found that in the K-series there is a "hole"... i miss the K11 module... i tried to retrieve info on the web but found nothing... what is the K11 module?
thanks and ciaooo

K10 was Demonheart and I think K11 was Eamonvale (or something like that)

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:25 pm 

Interesting...

K10 is Demonheart, K12 is the Eamonvale Incuraion... Aia is right, there is no K11.  I wonder what was in the works..?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:52 pm 

K11 WAS Slumbering Tsar Parts 1-3...it got, well, bigger

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:01 am 

Sorry but it was or it was supposed to be? Has the K11 ever been published?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:55 pm 

aia wrote in Frog God Games News!:Sorry but it was or it was supposed to be? Has the K11 ever been published?

Tsar was published awhile ago as both a mega-hardcover and a series of softcovers.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Previous