Largest and/or most impressive RPG sets
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:36 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:Some questions --

Ruins of Undermountain -- Is this Forgotten Realms?

Castle Whiterock -- Goodman does good stuff, but haven't read this.

Castle Zagyg -- I was disappointed in this. There was no castle in their castle (unless there's been an expansion)

Beyond the Mountains of Madness -- Would love to read this.  CoC?

GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders -- Local bookstore has it in VG condition for $80. Is it worth it?

CSOIO -- my sentimental favorite. Wish I had a usable copy. Mine's a collectible.

And a new one I'm impressed with is --
WG13 Castle of the Mad Archmage
It's compatible with OSRIC, S&W, D&D, AD&D, LL, etc.

8)

Ruins is set in the Forgotten Realms but easily usuable in any campaign, the DM needs to do a greta deal of their own work with this, which is kind of a Greyhawk campaign thing, so I was surprised that FR released it that way. The maps are fanatstic.

Castle Whiterock is huge but having read the first adventure book I found it kind of mediocore.Can't comment on the other three. It is freaking huge, both in adventure size and the physical size of the set.

For Castle Zagyg are you thinking of the hardcover book or the Upper Works boxed set. (You mist be talking about the book).

GDQ1-7 get the individual modules if you want to play it. The supermodule adds some very bad encounters to connect things. As a collectable I'd say $40 or so for the condition you are describing, and you can do better on ebay if you are patient.

CSIO which one do you have? There are what, 4 distinct JG printings, Mayfair games set, and the Necromancer edition.

I've heard great things about WG13 and would love to see it printed and bound.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:19 pm 

Isn't Champions 4th edition (maybe its the 3rd) a very large phone book of rules?

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:39 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
These are ten a penny. You should be able to pick up a cheep used copy on eBay, or just download the PDF from RPGNow for $2 and print it out. I have changed my opinion over the intervening years, and now lean more towards the NG reprints of CSIO and Wilderlands, than the JG original. Indeed, I have just got rid of all my Wilderlands JD 1sts. The jury is still out on the other reprints.

Had no idea they were available in PDF!
"Excellent", as Mr. Burns would say.

8)

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:45 pm 

I'm also going to throw out a vote for Warhammer Quest. It comes with a 128+ page Role Play Book so it could, theoretically, be played as a RPG without the boards, but even then it has tons of magic item cards, random event cards, a built-in random dungeon system, a crapton of monsters (in the Role Play Book) and well over 100 monster miniatures. And, for $70 when it debuted, as I recall.. now, a complete one tends to be a little higher, but I am impressed by it. Perhaps my favorite board (with RPG elements) game.

I think it qualifies for this discussion.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:59 pm 

serleran wrote:Isn't Champions 4th edition (maybe its the 3rd) a very large phone book of rules?

Champions 4th was broken down into three books within the span of its covers: the rules (215 pages), the sourcebook (59 pages), and the campaign book (70 pages). It had everything needed to begin a Champions campaign, including heroes, villains, and even aliens. For about $40, it was a far better value than Hero 5th was. If you had gotten Hero 5th (non-revised), you spent that $40 on just the rules, then had to spend an additional $30 on the Champions sourcebook. If it was Hero 5th (revised), it was $50.

Now there's Hero 6th, which is broken down into two hardcovers, the cost of both being a total of around $80. Then you STILL have to get the Champions sourcebook.

I have a copy of Champions 4th and have a copy of Hero 5th that I've error corrected to 5th revised. I'm looking to unload the copy of Hero 5th because I simply do not like the direction Steve Long took the system in. He's turned it into a textbook, literally. The man nearly tripled the page count (592 pages) for virtually no gain because the rule changes weren't that extensive to begin with. 6th has tinkered with the mechanics and actually dropped a stat, and in doing so ballooned to two books with a total page count of almost 700 pages.

I'm sorry...I'll stick with 4th. If I really need to know about 5th or 6th edition, I'll get Hero System Sidekick (5th edition) or Hero System Basic Rules (6th edition). Neither of which can be used to actually play superhero games because of the lack of rules for power frameworks, especially variable power pools, and rules to build gadgets and installations.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:00 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
Had no idea they were available in PDF!
"Excellent", as Mr. Burns would say.

8)

I'd say anything except Castle Zagyg UW is available as pdf. And maybe Ptolus?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:05 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:

Not according to Monte Cook unless it was pulled down when the d20 license was revoked.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:42 pm 

serleran wrote:I'm also going to throw out a vote for Warhammer Quest. It comes with a 128+ page Role Play Book so it could, theoretically, be played as a RPG without the boards, but even then it has tons of magic item cards, random event cards, a built-in random dungeon system, a crapton of monsters (in the Role Play Book) and well over 100 monster miniatures. And, for $70 when it debuted, as I recall.. now, a complete one tends to be a little higher, but I am impressed by it. Perhaps my favorite board (with RPG elements) game.

I think it qualifies for this discussion.

I forgot about Warhammer Quest, it is an incredible set (and the two expansions are nice as well). It also goes for $300 + anymore. Just the miniatures alone are amazing but it was also a fun game to play. There is also Advanced Hero Quest but it didn't equal Warhammer Quest in components or game play.

Fantasy Flight tried a similar thing with Descent which is also a big boxed set but it really doesn't compare to Warhammer Quest. It is impressive, though. with all its supplements spread out around it.

The new Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay from FFG has a nice looking boxed set but I've been hearing bad things about the game and haven't had a chance to try it out myself.

I think now as far as price wise it would be:

Warhammer Quest
Dune
Upper Works

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 pm 

serleran wrote:
Not according to Monte Cook unless it was pulled down when the d20 license was revoked.

Hence a 'maybe'.. Thanks for the link.  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:18 pm 

Griffin Mountain was the original from Chaosium. Softback Book with map pullout. 200 pages and set in Runequest's Glorantha. (Runequest 2cd edition)

Griffin Island was a boxed set by Avalon Hill when they took over the license. They removed the Glorantha references and mucked it up. (3rd edition)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:26 pm 

Quite chuffed that I have Night Below, G,D & Q series mods and Ruins of Undermountain from the general 'quality' list.  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:08 pm 

Shadow World Master Atlas as a setting box set not yet described.
Thieves Guild box set by Gamelords for the impressive rules dealing with my favorite class.  Not that sure on their Haven box set, least it doesn't compare to other RPG city supplements.

Really good list of products though so far, I have a good portion of them.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:15 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:
Indeed, a few come to mind for other games:

Call Of Cthulhu - Beyond The Mountains Of Madness, Horror On The Orient Express, and of course, Masks Of Nyarlathotep

Masks Of Nyarlathotep has been expanded in recent years.  The most recent edition, "AKA: Complete Masks", and the forthcoming reprint, have an extra chapter and some new side adventures.  But, even better, there is a companion book coming out (should be just as large, if not larger than the original campaign), which has been worked on by a group at Y-S.com - and there will be piles more detail.  I am guessing out in print to purchase by mid to late 2011 or thereabouts.

As to Beyond The Mountains Of Madness; well it is MASSIVE, and totally impressive in detail.  However I am not sure if it is 100% impressive as a playing experience. I am actually in a group playing it at the moment - and it is quite linear in operation - more so than would be necessary even though you do have to go on an expedition.  :D  Still well worth playing though.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:22 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
For Castle Zagyg are you thinking of the hardcover book or the Upper Works boxed set. (You mist be talking about the book).

CSIO which one do you have? There are what, 4 distinct JG printings, Mayfair games set, and the Necromancer edition.

My CSIO is this one, a first print:
http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0012.html

Re: Zagyg, yes, it's the book.
I've been away from collecting for a couple of years

8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:27 pm 

Not huge box sets, but i liked the second edition box of "First Quest" and its clone, "Introduction to AD&D". Posters, CD, plastic miniatures, dice bag with dice, beginner's shield, adventures and rule books.

The basic set for third edition was ok; not as many components but a lot more miniatures(16).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:21 am 

TheHistorian wrote:
We're working on it!  There will be a map pack that should improve the situation!

This is one product that stands a chance of polishing up really well and making a successful entry into the market. An experienced publisher could be useful in making that leap. Black Blade for example.

Another such product line is Pinnell's Giant series; it needs a fair amount of polish, but the structure and writing are sound, the pace is balanced, and it has the same link back to D&D heretige. Admittedly, a megadungeon is more saleable than an quest, but as quests go, it's better than a lot of the regular bread and butter work that some publishers push through the door. Certainly better in writing quality than some of the linked adventure chains put out through GG. A publisher like Black Blade could pick up this line, give it a brief edit, bring in a good BW artist (Bradley might be the best in the industry ATM), add interior artwork, professional maps and a colour cover, and you have a strong seller that will last and not fade away (like most of GG's products do).

One thing RJK does 'get' that so many other products that are marketted to the 1E marketplace do not get, is that the final polish to the cover is king. RJK's modules deliver greater buyer satisfaction on avount of the final overall feel. And they promise this upfront on acount of displaying the quality in the cover.

Good luck with Mad Mage. It has the potential to be one of the most saleable small press products to be launced to date. They need to be careful not to F it up.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:28 am 

red_bus wrote:As to Beyond The Mountains Of Madness; well it is MASSIVE, and totally impressive in detail.  However I am not sure if it is 100% impressive as a playing experience. I am actually in a group playing it at the moment - and it is quite linear in operation - more so than would be necessary even though you do have to go on an expedition.  :D  Still well worth playing though.

It's on my wish list.
Although I presume it's not easily adaptable to 1e or to Pathfinder.

8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:34 am 

ashmire13 wrote:

Ptolus is available in PDF.
I'd be interested to know if any of the rights owners wish to bring CZ to market in PDF. Not been able to get a peep out of Trigee.
I thought you hab CZ:UW and RAR in your collection, Ash?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

PreviousNext