The End of 4th edition?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:19 pm 

http://www.enworld.org/

Just a rumour, but still

Oh, and someone mentioned on the post......This is Gary Gygax's birthday today.

Thanks For all the fun Gary.....Wish you were still here.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:27 pm 

If the Essentials line takes off, then they'd kill the current 4th edition and go with the new 4.25 version. So... maybe there's hope.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:31 pm 

According to this, they have 10 products lines up for the Essentials line

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... p/2010july

Good page with info on Dark Sun, new novels and board games.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:21 am 

Randomdays wrote:http://www.enworld.org/ Just a rumour, but still

Following the links around takes you to a lot of people saying it's a hoax. For whatever reason, new D&D products always seem to evoke this response.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:50 am 

The "source" is a group of people saying this will happen ... um ... just because, I guess. Not a scintilla of evidence; not even a random quote.

I'm not seeing it. Essentials and 4e seem to be complimentary, not competitive, lines.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 am 

I'm guessing (having read a few notes on TSRs two pronged approach on D&D and AD&D a few years back) perhaps WotC are going to do the same and expand their customers, rather than be exclusive to one game type?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:17 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:I'm guessing (having read a few notes on TSRs two pronged approach on D&D and AD&D a few years back) perhaps WotC are going to do the same and expand their customers, rather than be exclusive to one game type?

That sounds like a smart thing to do? So coming from WOTC I have my doubts that they are intending on doing it this way.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:10 pm 

Probably would fly in the face of WotC thinking... But surely a 4th ed wargame (as it seems to be now) and a 4th ed RPG with an old school feel would be a real money spinner.

I'm still looking at that new red box release, its only £12 over here in a couple of months.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 pm 

I'd think that Hasbro would tell WotC to do whatever it could to make money.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:16 pm 

I think it would be a real hoot if they were to actually drop 4E to do this. I'd grab a mess of snacks, sit back, and watch the chaos on boards that cater to 4E.

Don't think it will happen, but I'd be highly amused.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:I think it would be a real hoot if they were to actually drop 4E to do this.

Not sure I follow your logic here. The articles claim that certain publications will be dropped in favor of certain others. The content, rules-wise, is not supposed to change, is it?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:16 pm 

Randomdays wrote:http://www.enworld.org/

Just a rumour, but still

Oh, and someone mentioned on the post......This is Gary Gygax's birthday today.

Thanks For all the fun Gary.....Wish you were still here.

It's just a rumor...but it is the type of rumor that tends to come true.

They wouldn't stop selling the 4th Edition hardback set unless the books had stopped moving off the shelves.

A mixed reception for 4th Edition seemed inevitable from the moment they killed DRAGON and DUNGEON magazines.  You take a big risk when you choose to piss off your core customers.  Anyone know why Goodman Games is not going to GenCon this year?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:29 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
It's just a rumor...but it is the type of rumor that tends to come true.

They wouldn't stop selling the 4th Edition hardback set unless the books had stopped moving off the shelves.

A mixed reception for 4th Edition seemed inevitable from the moment they killed DRAGON and DUNGEON magazines.  You take a big risk when you choose to piss off your core customers.  Anyone know why Goodman Games is not going to GenCon this year?

Probably why others have said they're not going... space rental is too damn high and not worth the cost.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:32 pm 

sauromatian wrote:Not sure I follow your logic here. The articles claim that certain publications will be dropped in favor of certain others. The content, rules-wise, is not supposed to change, is it?

Well, to the best of my knowledge (which is sparse at best so I can be waaaay off base), it will be akin to the AD&D line coexisting with Classic. Imagine the hue and cry if AD&D had been dropped in favor of Classic c.1984. Now imagine the current 4E being dropped in favor of the Essentials line.

The shouts of the masses who bought 4E believing it was the best game EVAH, decrying 3E in the process, who in turn decried previous editions, and so on is what I would find amusing. "But.. I just bought a whole new set of books! Now they're all obsolete?!? GAAAAHHH!!" Been there. Done that. History repeats.

It seems just an introductory set, though. Funny... I could have sworn I have read from 4E players the rules are very simple. If true, why would this be needed? Are they possibly going back to the 'standard' races (i.e. no dragonborn and such) and classes?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:
Well, to the best of my knowledge (which is sparse at best so I can be waaaay off base), it will be akin to the AD&D line coexisting with Classic. Imagine the hue and cry if AD&D had been dropped in favor of Classic c.1984. Now imagine the current 4E being dropped in favor of the Essentials line.

The shouts of the masses who bought 4E believing it was the best game EVAH, decrying 3E in the process, who in turn decried previous editions, and so on is what I would find amusing. "But.. I just bought a whole new set of books! Now they're all obsolete?!? GAAAAHHH!!" Been there. Done that. History repeats.

It seems just an introductory set, though. Funny... I could have sworn I have read from 4E players the rules are very simple. If true, why would this be needed? Are they possibly going back to the 'standard' races (i.e. no dragonborn and such) and classes?

4e titles sell for less than wholesale on ebay. The original core rulebooks are being dumped, unused $30+ books selling for $10 not just adventures being discounted but the core books. That means few new customers and 4e has probably maxed out its customer base. 4e books that are just being released are being sold at 20-30% discounts on ebay. New books are the bread and butter of a book or game store.

WOTC method has been to revitalize sales by coming out with new editions. This way they catch their old customer base and hopefully pick up new customers as well. They sell more core rulebooks which is the heart of their profit margin.

It isn't needed for gaming purposes, it is needed to meet the Hasbro bottomline.

4e might not be going under, but there are plenty of indicators that it is likely to and be replaced with something new.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:42 pm 

SimperingToad wrote:Imagine the hue and cry if AD&D had been dropped in favor of Classic c.1984. Now imagine the current 4E being dropped in favor of the Essentials line.

AD&D & OD&D/Classic are two different rules systems. The question I have, which I suppose won't be answered until the new Essentials line is released, is whether the same applies here. Which rules will be missing from the introductory set? Which rules will be changed, or missing altogether? For instance, you've speculated that the tactical stuff from 4e will be de-emphasized.

SimperingToad wrote:It seems just an introductory set, though. Funny... I could have sworn I have read from 4E players the rules are very simple. If true, why would this be needed? Are they possibly going back to the 'standard' races (i.e. no dragonborn and such) and classes?

The introductory set will have only the core races & classes, while a plethora of supplements will add dragonborn et al. Theoretically, the full corpus of 4e could be re-released this way. Players with the current PHB/DMG/MM may wind up with the same rules, just in a slightly different format.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:51 pm 

And with twenty pages of errata incorporated as well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:52 am 

Pride.  :x  :thumbdown:

4th Edition was the product of hubris that led to horrible marketing decisions.

At least...that's what I heard from Gleemax.  :scratch:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Next