Star Wars Saga ... Going... Going...
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:27 pm 

As most of you know by now, WotC no longer holds the Star Wars license (expired in May - LucasArts and WotC did not renew). Saga edition is coming to an end in August (just releasing the last of the stock) - many books are already out of print. We're seeing upwards trending on the prices over at the 'Geek. The core book is fetching $40 with some regularity and the two sourcebooks to look out for are currently:

Knights of The Old Republic (KOTR) - running $65 on avg
Starships of the Galaxy - running $60 on avg

Some Borders still have these in stock - with the 33-40% off coupon they offer every so often for the free Borders Rewards cardholders, it may be worth picking up and selling out for a fast profit and get them into hands of people who want them.

-Dave
t: @rpggeek

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:50 pm 

wavemotion wrote:As most of you know by now, WotC no longer holds the Star Wars license (expired in May - LucasArts and WotC did not renew).

Why in the world would you think most would know that :)?

Maybe everyone else does and I'm the odd man out, but I couldn't care less what licenses WotC holds...

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:54 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Why in the world would you think most would know that :)?

I always assume that intelligent collectors and RPGers keep abreast of the roleplaying scene and what might be going out of print forever. I find it more uplifting to assume someone knows something and then have them prove me wrong.

-Dave

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:58 pm 

wavemotion wrote:I always assume that intelligent collectors and RPGers keep abreast of the roleplaying scene and what might be going out of print forever. I find it more uplifting to assume someone knows something and then have them prove me wrong.

-Dave

Haha, I guess I'm unintelligent. Nope, no keeping abreast of anything here, at least not intentionally when it comes to Wizards (or Star Wars for that matter). I doubt you'll find too many here interested in Star Wars gaming, except maybe the resellers, but I could be wrong.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:00 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:
Haha, I guess I'm unintelligent. Nope, no keeping abreast of anything here, at least not intentionally when it comes to Wizards (or Star Wars for that matter).

Quit posting before me.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:01 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Haha, I guess I'm unintelligent. Nope, no keeping abreast of anything here, at least not intentionally when it comes to Wizards (or Star Wars for that matter). I doubt you'll find too many here interested in Star Wars gaming, except maybe the resellers, but I could be wrong.

My post was intended to guide people to their nearest Borders. Use the 40% off coupon they gave out this weekend and buy a few books for $25 and sell them for $60+. Take the profit and go help Bill sell some RC adventures. Nowhere in my post did I say the game was good nor did I say you should buy it and play it.

Must... resist... urge... to... post... here... again.

-Dave

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:10 pm 

wavemotion wrote:My post was intended to guide people to their nearest Borders. Use the 40% off coupon they gave out this weekend and buy a few books for $25 and sell them for $60+. Take the profit and go help Bill sell some RC adventures. Nowhere in my post did I say the game was good nor did I say you should buy it and play it.

Must... resist... urge... to... post... here... again.

-Dave

Post all you like :). I was just giving you a hard time, in a good-natured ribbing sort of way. IMO, Star Wars sucks (EDIT: by that I mean the movies, the games, etc. yeah my kids love it but what does that prove?). Plus, as a niche collector, I'm not a big fan of the types who hang out here just to find deals so they can turn around and make a buck. I'm not that worried about making $60 or helping Bill (sorry Bill ;)).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Last edited by MetaSigma on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:11 pm 

serleran wrote:
Quit posting before me.

In the future, I will allow at least 1 hour to elapse so you will have the chance to be the first to respond :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:13 pm 

Heh. Ahh, respect.

We need a new show on the Hitlery Channel -- Acaeum Pickers. I think it would go over well with about 1% of 1% of 1% of 1% of the RPG "community." Unless we put out some great personalities... hmm... that might have to be its own thread.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:16 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:I'm not a big fan of the types who hang out here just to find deals so they can turn around and make a buck.

I'm a big fan of Capitalism. My philosophy on the subject mirrors a man named Jim Rohn whom I consider to be one of the worlds greatest business philosophers. Jim passed away in the last year though is recordings are among the best ever presented (track down The Art of Exceptional Living for some vintage Jim Rohn). Jim illustrates Capitalism with a simple story of a young boy who hauls a small red wagon out of a junk pile and cleans it up using his Dad's tools. He fixes the wheels and re-paints it. He sells it to a family that wants a red wagon for $10. Does this kid deserve $10 for taking something free (or nearly so) and fixing it and selling it? Of course he does... he has taken something that wasn't getting any love or attention, made it better and available and put a fully functioning red wagon back into society. The kid benefits. The family that bought it benefits from having a wagon they want. Society benefits from the exchange.  It's win-win-win.

My entire collection is funded by finding (at yard sales, garage sales, flea markets, browsing the back-end of ebay twice a day, etc) unwanted  (by the owner) things I don't collect and getting them into the hands of collectors or players. I take the profit and put it into my collection and I remain self sufficient this way. I know not everyone does it this way - I had assumed there were a few that might.

I can't think of a single post I've made that hasn't drawn the iron in 6 months. Hospitable place.

-Dave

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:25 pm 

Is this about to turn into some kind of wealth-building infomercial?? <insincerity> The American Dream-style inspirational story is touching, really </insincerity>. But seriously, I don't mean to be inhospitable, and though I'm sure my opinion is far from representative in many respects, I'm pretty sure profit-turning is not the primary motivation for most people being here. True, there are some resellers who are regulars posters, but they also make substantial contributions in other ways as well. The just-for-the-buck resellers tend to be lurkers, I have observed from my admittedly limited experience.

And BTW, I object strongly to the term "business philosopher".

EDIT:

I can't think of a single post I've made that hasn't drawn the iron in 6 months. Hospitable place.

Maybe it says more about you than it does about the place...?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:29 pm 

serleran wrote:Heh. Ahh, respect.

We need a new show on the Hitlery Channel -- Acaeum Pickers. I think it would go over well with about 1% of 1% of 1% of 1% of the RPG "community." Unless we put out some great personalities... hmm... that might have to be its own thread.

I keep watching Pickers and Pawn Stars, waiting for someone to come up with a woodgrain or some other rare D&D item. It's bound to happen eventually.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:44 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Maybe it says more about you than it does about the place...?

It most definitely does. I just went back and looked at my posts - can't really find more than one or two that were well received. Sometimes you can't fit a square peg into a round hole.  I've most definitely found a round hole ;)

EDIT: I can't figure out how to delete myself. Trapped in the Acaeum! Anyone know how to remove an account?

EDIT2: PM sent to Foul to help.

Peace,

-Dave

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:12 pm 

Hardly #1.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:53 pm 

wavemotion wrote:Some Borders still have these in stock - with the 33-40% off coupon they offer every so often for the free Borders Rewards cardholders, it may be worth picking up and selling out for a fast profit and get them into hands of people who want them.

That's some good advice.  I would have picked up some books but we don't have such a place here.

The wholesale gaming place has a couple of the books for fairly cheap though.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:35 pm 

No good deed goes unpunished, Dave.

*sighs*

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:45 pm 

I really had no idea there were still Star Wars books being made. I thought its ghost had sailed beyond the ether years ago. I, however, have no interest in them, but for those who ar elucky enough to snap some up and make a quick few greens and silvers, that's some great news.