Pathfinder
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:43 am 

Crimsonspire wrote:
Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path has a lot of lovecraftian themes in it, such as Denizens of Leng in Spires of Xin-Shalast for example. It's Paizo's first AP after Dungeon magazine and Burnt Offerings is the most sought after book in it, selling for $100. It's definitely worth a read through.

Thanks for this. I've been wondering about Pathfinder, believing it's the last 3.5 publisher. So I went looking and found copies of what seem to be early PF modules for half cover price from a retail seller. I've got them on hold for pick up. There are four, and I thik the numbers fit in the 1-10 range (including Burnt Offerings).
Am I on the right track for value?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:54 pm 

astenon wrote:Hi Keith,
I've asked around and come up with the following:
Horror adventures: Carnival of Tears, Carrion Hill, Hangman's  Noose, and Hungry Are The Dead (some of these are 3.5, but Carrion Hill is definitely PF RPG)
Part of AP book #3 (The Hook Mountain Massacre) was explicitly inspired (as related in the foreward) by movies like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Delivered, and the Hills have Eyes.
This is in addition to the haunted house in The Skinsaw Murders, and the entirety of the forthcoming Carrion Crown Adventure Path.
Of note also is Dungeon Magazine #106, which had an awesome horror adventure called Tammaraut's Fate. I actually ran this, and it worked really well. The only encounter I held back a bit on were the three harpies right at the start (because three sets of saves vs their singing were hard to beat for the entire party!); a bit of bad luck could end the adventure before it begins!

Regarding unique monsters, as said before the Bestiary has most of the "classic" monsters. The forthcoming Bestiary 2 will presumably have a few more. In any case, you can see what's in the Bestiary at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/  and some of the monsters from the modules and other books are also included under the "Custom Monsters" section.

Thank you!  I've always wanted to run a horror "dungeon".
That may not happen, but it will be fun collecting a few of these modules, sit back, and wonder "what if I still had players local".

The Bestiary 2 will rocket to the near-top of my list.
Monster Manuals are great, regardless of game system.
It's another area where I hope to grow my collection.

Thanks
Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:02 pm 

puterdragon wrote:
Thanks for this. I've been wondering about Pathfinder, believing it's the last 3.5 publisher. So I went looking and found copies of what seem to be early PF modules for half cover price from a retail seller. I've got them on hold for pick up. There are four, and I thik the numbers fit in the 1-10 range (including Burnt Offerings).
Am I on the right track for value?

#1 is the most expensive of them all, # 3 and 5 are rising but only at about 30 at the moment, 2 4 6 are still available in some distributors backstock so they tend to go for around msrp.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:44 pm 

Crimsonspire wrote:
#1 is the most expensive of them all, # 3 and 5 are rising but only at about 30 at the moment, 2 4 6 are still available in some distributors backstock so they tend to go for around msrp.

Okay, then. Sounds like I hit the jackpot!
<very happy>
I'm pretty sure they include a #1 and #7. They've been idle for a while, and I didn't focus on the details when I asked for the hold on them. (Just wanted to clear off the shelf.)
I'll pick them up and post again here for clarity when they're in hand.
Was there only one print run on PF modules?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:14 pm 

I sold two #1's in April for $68 and $69 respectively, picked them up at a game store blowing them out for $5.00 each :)

There are only one printing of each except #1 which has an exlusive Gencon cover release as well as the mass market release.

These are very common though with thousands of each printed, the prices may be sort lived.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:27 pm 

I've sold 2 copies at 90 and 1 at 100, all within 24 hours of being on the site. Saw a Gen Con exclusive sell for around 130ish earlier in the year also.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:49 pm 

Sorry, but which modules are these again... any pictures of them, or links to an ebay listing would be appreciated.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:56 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:Sorry, but which modules are these again... any pictures of them, or links to an ebay listing would be appreciated.

Here is the listing from the always reasonable Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Rise-R ... 1601250355

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:00 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:Sorry, but which modules are these again... any pictures of them, or links to an ebay listing would be appreciated.

These are the Pathfinder Adventure Path series. The 1st issue is out of print and can go $50 or more. I would like to see a link to any auction for Burnt Offerings by itself going for $90 or $100 since the last one I see as sold on ebay went for $31

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paizo-Pathfinder-Ri ... 1c140b8a61

There is at least set of 1-6 at $81 currently.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:02 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

These are the Pathfinder Adventure Path series. The 1st issue is out of print and can go $50 or more. I would like to see a link to any auction for Burnt Offerings by itself going for $90 or $100 since the last one I see as sold on ebay went for $31

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Well if you look half way down the page of my feedback you will see the feedback left for the copies I sold

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... llFeedback

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:08 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... _759wt_911

others sold directly from the site.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:13 pm 

As far as I know pretty much all the adventures (ie adventure path books, and Gamemastery/Pathfinder modules) have only one printing. The Skinsaw Murders is the only one that's been reprinted.
Rise of the Runelords (AP #1) and Second Darkness (AP #13) each had alternate cover versions, of which only 1,000 copies each were printed. These books were created for sale primarily at Gencon. I don't know if AP #27 also had an alternate cover version.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:57 pm 

I'm guessing it's both the high quality of the APs and their fairly low print runs that make them valuable.
I'll have to wait for Tuesday before picking them up--damn!
<laughing & crying>
I really like the feedback here on the APs. Looking forward to reading them.
Skinsaw (as described here) sounds like the haunted house done right (friekishly, sickishly, gaggingly good). I think I better be on the look out for it too.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm 

I asked about printings on their boards weeks ago and got this response:

Generally, we don't reprint a lot of products. Off the top of my head, here's a list of everything I can think of that Paizo has ever reprinted, broken down by whether or not things changed between printings...

Reprinted with no changes:
Shackled City Adventure Path
Pathfinder Adventure Path #2
Flip-Mat: Basic
Pathfinder RPG GM Screen

Reprinted with changes:
GameMastery Campaign Workbook (switched from glued binding to spiral binding)
GameMastery Critical Hit Deck (updated from 3.5 to PFRPG)
GameMastery Critical Fumble Deck (updated from 3.5 to PFRPG)
*Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook (now on 3rd printing, with incorporated errata for each reprint)
*Pathfinder RPG Bestiary (now on 2nd printing, with incorporated errata)
Kill Doctor Lucky (new player pawns, incorporated errata into rules, added "Little Dog Too" expansion)
*Pathfinder Companion: Adventurer's Armory (2nd printing coming soon, with incorporated errata)
Combat Pad (minor packaging changes on previous reprints; major graphic redesign coming on next reprint)

Replaced with significantly different products:
GameMastery Item Cards: Item Pack One, Hero's Hoard, and Relics of War—reconfigured into GameMastery Item Cards: Essentials
GameMastery Flip-Mat (Squares and Hexes)—replaced with Flip-Mat: Basic
GameMastery Flip-Mat: City Square—replaced with a variety of city-themed Flip-Mats
GameMastery Flip-Mat: Forest Path—replaced with a variety of forest-themed Flip-Mats
GameMastery Flip-Mat: Dungeon—replaced with a new Flip-Mat: Dungeon featuring a completely different design
GameMastery Flip-Mat: Tavern—replaced with Flip-Mat: Waterfront Tavern (and probably other tavern-themed Flip-Mats to come)
GameMastery Map Pack: Village—replaced with a variety of city-themed Flip-Mats
GameMastery Map Pack: Countryside—replaced with a variety of country-themed Flip-Mats
Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting—to be replaced by Pathfinder Campaign Setting World Guide—Inner Sea
I *think* that about covers it...

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:24 pm 

Crimsonspire wrote:

others sold directly from the site.

ended May 5th, which is why it isn't on the completed search. It is also a T&T listing which was either a BIN or an auction that ended without a sale, because there is no bidder information that can be seen.

Otherwise Burnt Offerings seems to go for between $50 and $70 with several collections of 1-6 not selling for much higher (and that $31 sale was certainly a good price).

The limited edition covers, who knows, I haven't noted any that have come up.

It is a collectable landmark series of adventures and with a high demand. Depending on the print run I could see it as a valued collectable, but I haven't seen it hit $90 or top $100 on its own just yet.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:26 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:

Well if you look half way down the page of my feedback you will see the feedback left for the copies I sold

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... llFeedback

Which are $68 and $69 but not $90 or $100 which I was talking about. That was back in April so it is hard to say what the going price is today since the only completed sale I can find in the last two months was for $31

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:47 pm 

Books-A-Million was running a sale, and I had a coupon, so I bought The Bestiary.  Good illustrations.

This will suck me into the PF vortex because I'll want to know what all the stats and specs mean.

Sounds like another game system I got hooked on ... what was it called again ... hmm

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:22 pm 

Just a guess...I think Burnt Offerings (PFA#1) went mostly to people who had credit left on their DRAGON or DUNGEON magazine subscriptions.

That might make it rare because those were hard-core gamers who will tend to stay active and not sell off their stuff.

That might make it less rare because there were more of them printed.

:?:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext