Poll -- Best Retro, Old School (OSR) Rule Set
Poll: What is the Best Old School (OSRIC) Rule Set?

Basic Fantasy RPG 9%       9%  [ 4 ]
Castles & Crusades 28%       28%  [ 12 ]
Swords & Wizardry 23%       23%  [ 10 ]
Labyrinth Lord 12%       12%  [ 5 ]
White Box RPG 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
I want my, I want my, I want my B/X/C 23%       23%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 43

Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:04 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The number of authors and publishers that understand the difference between a marketable product, a good marketable product and a great marketable product, are few and far between. Often they go on to become great well known publishing houses or authors (or both, take Bill Webb for example).

Interesting that you invoke Bill Webb as a counterexample to the retro-clones, because the game Bill plays at home is ...............

.............wait for it ...........

Swords & Wizardry.  :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:13 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
Good God, man.  Is the economy edition hardback?  Or do they throw in a bottle of bourbon or something?  That's messed up.

Economy is printed on cheaper paper and softcover.
Due to where its printed, cost to ship to the UK is subsequently more.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:16 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Ah yes, that one.
Reasonably good Fanwork.
But I've always been a bit insulted that the author didn't bother to spell my name right.
And never bothered to correct it, either.

Quick note on that, IIRC, Jason Vey (not the author of the Musings- that's Jason CONE) created his files by copying from author's HTML pages, and only later checked to make sure it was okay by the author. EDIT: Jason checked first - my bad. I don't mean this as a complaint about Jason Vey, but it explains (a) why there was a typo - what you see is just from Jason Cone's original raw typing, and (b) why it wasn't corrected by the author - the author can't change files someone else has.

The confusion comes, probably, from the two guys having the same first name.[/b]

Last edited by Mythmere1 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:20 pm 

Doubtless.

Just a little bit insulted. No grudge, really.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:25 pm 

You would suspect, anyone sufficiently interested in writing about D&D, would know how to spell Mentzer, Gygax and Arneson. 8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:12 pm 

Double post.  Ignore

Last edited by The Grey Elf on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:14 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:You would suspect, anyone sufficiently interested in writing about D&D, would know how to spell Mentzer, Gygax and Arneson. 8)

I would have thought so, too, until I followed the EO Art Print thread for a while, and noticed how many times people here misspelled his last name... :)

EDIT to correct my spelling of "misspelled". No, I'm not kidding.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Last edited by MetaSigma on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:14 pm 

Ak'Ptui wrote:
I can see where you'd be bugged by that ...be like spelling Gary's name as "Gyjax" or something in a work, then letting it stand.  I've shot a message over to Jason Vey who hosts the files and who I believe distills the pdfs to make a correction.  Hopefully it gets corrected and  I won't mention the work again until they do.

Sorry. :(

I had no idea this error was in there and am fixing it now in the PDF version with sincerest apologies to Frank--I need to mention that nothing in the PDF is my work and Philotomy and I aren't the same person.  All I did was PDF his website and add a table of contents, with his kind permission.  

If it makes you feel any better, I once referred to him as Philotomy Juggernaut on RPGNet ;)

[EDIT] The PDF version has been fixed.  Philotomy will have to take care of the errors on his website.  Again, to Frank my sincerest apologies.

[EDIT 2]Actually, it looks like at some point Philotomy took the entire "What this site is not about" section down, so the typo no longer exists on his site.

Last edited by The Grey Elf on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:20 pm 

Mythmere1 wrote:
Quick note on that, IIRC, Jason Vey (not the author of the Musings- that's Jason CONE) created his files by copying from author's HTML pages, and only later checked to make sure it was okay by the author. I don't mean this as a complaint about Jason Vey, but it explains (a) why there was a typo - what you see is just from Jason Cone's original raw typing, and (b) why it wasn't corrected by the author - the author can't change files someone else has.

The confusion comes, probably, from the two guys having the same first name.

Actually, I did ask Philotomy's permission BEFORE posting it to my website. I originally PDFed it just for my own use, but it came out nicely enough that I asked him if he'd mind if I made it available.  He at first said no because he had something else in mind for it, and as such I did not make it available.

Later, he got back to me and told me that he was fine with me putting it up there as his other plans had fallen through, which is when it became publicly available.

Just to clarify.

However, yes, your point stands that I didn't do any editing, proofing, or revision to Philotomy's content at all, since I didn't feel it would be right to do so.  In this case, however, I've gone ahead and fixed the typo the moment it came to my attention.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:55 pm 

Sorry I got the order of events wrong, Jason.  :oops:  Jason had mentioned to me that an unauthorized pdf was circulating early on, but that must have been a different one and before your compilation. My apologies!

Editing my earlier post to fix that.

Editing this one - I'm really glad to hear this, because I really had thought you were the person Jason was talking about, and circulating a pdf of someone's blog without asking first is sort of a crappy thing to do. Now that I recall, I do think that the conversation with Jason about "someone is circulating a pdf" came long before you posted up the permitted pdf. I just didn't think about how those events were separated by a gap of time. Definitely my bad.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:25 pm 

No harm done, and thank you.

I think I'm so happy to have OSRIC in circulation that I may have taken umbrage at simply finding such a fiddling little but annoying flaw in a great product.

:)

F

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:04 pm 

Mythmere1 wrote:Sorry I got the order of events wrong, Jason.  :oops:  Jason had mentioned to me that an unauthorized pdf was circulating early on, but that must have been a different one and before your compilation. My apologies!

Editing my earlier post to fix that.

Editing this one - I'm really glad to hear this, because I really had thought you were the person Jason was talking about, and circulating a pdf of someone's blog without asking first is sort of a crappy thing to do. Now that I recall, I do think that the conversation with Jason about "someone is circulating a pdf" came long before you posted up the permitted pdf. I just didn't think about how those events were separated by a gap of time. Definitely my bad.

No worries--I just wanted to correct the error, that's all.  I agree that circulating a PDF of someone's full blog without their ok is a crappy thing to do.  Not something I'd ever engage in, though I do admit to borrowing artwork I've seen floating around the web to illustrate some of my free PDFs.  However, that's a case that I believe resides within Fair Use (since it is isolated, grayscaled--mostly--low-res imagery and obviously not for profit) and if an artist contacted me and said, "hey, that's my stuff; don't use it," I would respect their wishes.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:45 pm 

Just out of curiosity, do you need the C&C rulesbooks for use of the C&C modules, or is it straightforward enough to use with AD&D (for instance)?

Or should the Quick Rules be enough at a push?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:57 pm 

To clarify my earlier thoughts, OSRIC appears to
be an outstanding clone of 1E, while BFRPG is
my favorite OD&D clone.

If you want to collect or play retros, either are great choices.

Another of interest is OD&D + GH.

I had done this "by hand" & photocopy in the 80s
by collating white box booklets with GH & BM.

Here's a link to one person's version, if you're interested --

http://members.cox.net/brucemohler/dnd/odnd.html

Thanks.

8)

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:05 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you need the C&C rulesbooks for use of the C&C modules, or is it straightforward enough to use with AD&D (for instance)?

Or should the Quick Rules be enough at a push?

I think the modules would adapt easily.
C&C uses AAC, for a simple d20 "to hit" roll
(plus modifiers).
And I think C&C uses Law, Neutral, Chaos alignment,
but I always thought alignment was unnecessary, so that
wouldn't affect things too much.

C&C adapted all the classic D&D monsters that they could,
except for critters like the Beholdler that WoTC owns.

I can't remember about spells off hand, but
I do remember they were very similar to the
ones we know and love/hate

Thanks

8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:08 pm 

Thats cool, thanks. Managed to locate the Quick rules anyway, just in case. Will take a look for some mods when I get chance.

still not moving on from 1st ed yet...

:lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:11 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Thats cool, thanks. Managed to locate the Quick rules anyway, just in case. Will take a look for some mods when I get chance.

still not moving on from 1st ed yet...

:lol:

It's a solid system, meant to fast-paced.
Seems to work.

One advantage is that they have rule books in print vice 30-year-old books you have to buy on eBay.  

At first level, Magic-Users get 4 cantrips and two 1st level spells.
And characters do have the 9 alignments to choose from.
TLG makes some good quality stuff, although I got discouraged a couple of years ago over the Castle Zygag material.

I don't have a stake in their business,
but I really do wish them success.

8)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:02 pm 

The full version has 13 classes --
Fighter
Ranger
Rogue
Assassin
Barbarian
Monk
Wizard
Illusionist
Cleric
Druid
Knight
Paladin
Bard

Spells for Wizards correlate to AD&D's Magic Users.
They have 20 spells available per Wizard level up to 5th.
6th thru 9th levels have 12 spells.

There's a similar structure for Illusionists, Clerics and Druids.

Races are 
Human
Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half-Orc
Half-elf
Hobbit (sorry, Halfing)

Overall, they took my favorite parts of
1E PHB, classic 1E monsters, and some additional material
and morphed it with quick AAC combat & saving throws.

8)

PreviousNext