Poll -- Best Retro, Old School (OSR) Rule Set
Poll: What is the Best Old School (OSRIC) Rule Set?

Basic Fantasy RPG 9%       9%  [ 4 ]
Castles & Crusades 28%       28%  [ 12 ]
Swords & Wizardry 23%       23%  [ 10 ]
Labyrinth Lord 12%       12%  [ 5 ]
White Box RPG 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
I want my, I want my, I want my B/X/C 23%       23%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 43

Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:14 pm 

I feel for you Frank. TLG gets my name spelled wrong almost all the time, even the first name. Heck, it's now "officially" been spelled wrong on the OGL page so it'll always be that way (for that product, anyway.) :(

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:28 pm 

Back to OSR rule sets and things ...where do you find OSR games and retro goodness, why Lulu of course.  I just followed R.C. Pinnell's link from the classifieds here and picked up his extended Giant's Series plus his basic module:

http://stores.lulu.com/worldofthorkhammer

I already had G4 but was unaware that he had published further mods in the series.

I used code "santa305" to get 20% off my purchase.  This code is suppose to expire July 31.  Here is the kicker for you guys in the US, you can also apply code "FREESHIP" and get free shipping in the US on purchases over $19, which sadly I wasn't able to do.  But that's pretty good 20% + free shipping at Lulu.  Here is a link to the Old School Renaissance Group on Lulu:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fOwner ... nerID=4672

Of note John Adams of Brave Halfling Publishing has knocked 15% off the Swords & Wizardry White Box hardcover, so combined with the above coupons you can get this for over 35% discount.

Who says my inspiration was D&D?  That was just a background phenomenon.
                                          -- Ken St. Andre

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:17 pm 

serleran wrote:I just noticed how the poll is a little funny. Its asking which is the best OSRIC  but there was no option to select OSRIC.

My fault.  Probably should change my handle to Gaffer.

When I created the poll, I thought OSRIC was an over-arching term for the old school clones.  
That'll be oops # 1.

I also thought C&C would want to be categorized as an old school system.  
That'll be oops #2.

In my defense, however, I did create the poll while I was in Florida, so that explains why it's all f***ed up.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:55 pm 

Ak'Ptui wrote:I used code "santa305" to get 20% off my purchase.  This code is suppose to expire July 31.  Here is the kicker for you guys in the US, you can also apply code "FREESHIP" and get free shipping in the US on purchases over $19, which sadly I wasn't able to do.  But that's pretty good 20% + free shipping at Lulu.

No, you can't.  Lulu takes only one discount code at a time.  Unless someone has found a way to do so - then please let me know!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:28 am 

If you want to download OSRIC, here's the link --

http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/download.html

I downloaded it after I discovered it was an actual rules system.

Unfortunately I messed up file management and accidentally renamed some other old school clone as OSRIC. :scratch:

Anyway, now that that's fixed I've found OSRIC to be quite impressive.
It may have over-taken BFRPG in my mind.

8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:40 am 

Ak'Ptui wrote:Not a retro game or clone per say, but my vote for best rules would be for some musings by a fellow called Jason Cone titled Philotomy's OD&D Musings over at http://www.philotomy.com/ .  

Same chap, as you state as here

http://knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb3/view ... =philotomy

interesting reading  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:08 am 

Bizarrely, buying OSRIC paperback from Lulu at £10.90, gives me a shipping option at just £2.99, or a guaranteed tracking option at £6.99.

If I go for the Economy edition at £7.96, shipping is lowest at £8.99 or tracked at £27.99!!  8O

Apparently, due to printing locations for Economy over paperback. Paperback option it is then!  :lol:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:53 am 

Lulu is stupid.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:57 am 

Evidently.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:30 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Bizarrely, buying OSRIC paperback from Lulu at £10.90, gives me a shipping option at just £2.99, or a guaranteed tracking option at £6.99.

If I go for the Economy edition at £7.96, shipping is lowest at £8.99 or tracked at £27.99!!  8O

Apparently, due to printing locations for Economy over paperback. Paperback option it is then!  :lol:

Good God, man.  Is the economy edition hardback?  Or do they throw in a bottle of bourbon or something?  That's messed up.

8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:04 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The number of authors and publishers that understand the difference between a marketable product, a good marketable product and a great marketable product, are few and far between. Often they go on to become great well known publishing houses or authors (or both, take Bill Webb for example).

Interesting that you invoke Bill Webb as a counterexample to the retro-clones, because the game Bill plays at home is ...............

.............wait for it ...........

Swords & Wizardry.  :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:13 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
Good God, man.  Is the economy edition hardback?  Or do they throw in a bottle of bourbon or something?  That's messed up.

Economy is printed on cheaper paper and softcover.
Due to where its printed, cost to ship to the UK is subsequently more.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:16 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Ah yes, that one.
Reasonably good Fanwork.
But I've always been a bit insulted that the author didn't bother to spell my name right.
And never bothered to correct it, either.

Quick note on that, IIRC, Jason Vey (not the author of the Musings- that's Jason CONE) created his files by copying from author's HTML pages, and only later checked to make sure it was okay by the author. EDIT: Jason checked first - my bad. I don't mean this as a complaint about Jason Vey, but it explains (a) why there was a typo - what you see is just from Jason Cone's original raw typing, and (b) why it wasn't corrected by the author - the author can't change files someone else has.

The confusion comes, probably, from the two guys having the same first name.[/b]

Last edited by Mythmere1 on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:20 pm 

Doubtless.

Just a little bit insulted. No grudge, really.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:25 pm 

You would suspect, anyone sufficiently interested in writing about D&D, would know how to spell Mentzer, Gygax and Arneson. 8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:12 pm 

Double post.  Ignore

Last edited by The Grey Elf on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:14 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:You would suspect, anyone sufficiently interested in writing about D&D, would know how to spell Mentzer, Gygax and Arneson. 8)

I would have thought so, too, until I followed the EO Art Print thread for a while, and noticed how many times people here misspelled his last name... :)

EDIT to correct my spelling of "misspelled". No, I'm not kidding.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Last edited by MetaSigma on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:14 pm 

Ak'Ptui wrote:
I can see where you'd be bugged by that ...be like spelling Gary's name as "Gyjax" or something in a work, then letting it stand.  I've shot a message over to Jason Vey who hosts the files and who I believe distills the pdfs to make a correction.  Hopefully it gets corrected and  I won't mention the work again until they do.

Sorry. :(

I had no idea this error was in there and am fixing it now in the PDF version with sincerest apologies to Frank--I need to mention that nothing in the PDF is my work and Philotomy and I aren't the same person.  All I did was PDF his website and add a table of contents, with his kind permission.  

If it makes you feel any better, I once referred to him as Philotomy Juggernaut on RPGNet ;)

[EDIT] The PDF version has been fixed.  Philotomy will have to take care of the errors on his website.  Again, to Frank my sincerest apologies.

[EDIT 2]Actually, it looks like at some point Philotomy took the entire "What this site is not about" section down, so the typo no longer exists on his site.

Last edited by The Grey Elf on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext