Poll -- Best Retro, Old School (OSR) Rule Set
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 81234, 5, 6, 78
Poll: What is the Best Old School (OSRIC) Rule Set?

Basic Fantasy RPG 9%       9%  [ 4 ]
Castles & Crusades 28%       28%  [ 12 ]
Swords & Wizardry 23%       23%  [ 10 ]
Labyrinth Lord 12%       12%  [ 5 ]
White Box RPG 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
I want my, I want my, I want my B/X/C 23%       23%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 43

Author

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3861
Joined: Feb 21, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 28, 2021
Location: Milford, Michigan

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:53 am 
 

ashmire13 wrote:Thats where I end up for the forums, which gives you this screen.. maybe its my browser??

http://knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb3/

EDIT - But did manage to find this bit..

http://knights-n-knaves.com/phpbb3/view ... =31&t=1999


I am going to drop a post or email to the admin linking to this thread.


And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5616
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 06, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:49 am 
 

Thork N Hammer, Esquire wrote:
You can't. I can't. No one can. Its a secret club operating out in the open that is virtually impossible to join without some payola involved! lol
I gave up trying, and told them I withdraw my application.  :x


Not quite true, Thork---and it's not you either:  the admin team is basically down to one technical person, and he has been swamped with RL issues.  And, as ashmire said, the site was also recently upgraded, so all of the little bugs, bells, and whistles aren't back in place yet.  

Keith the Thief wrote:Okay, then. Sounds way too painful to even try.
And to quote Daffy, "I can't stand pain.  It hurts me."


All of the requests for access are logged and in queue, so once the registration problem is fixed, new account set up should be quick.  I don't, however, have an ETA for when the registration problem will be fixed, unfortunately.  I'll also post something on the moderator boards to see if we can move the process along.


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1026
Joined: Jun 05, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 31, 2021
Location: Huntsville, Ala.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:18 pm 
 

grodog wrote:
All of the requests for access are logged and in queue, so once the registration problem is fixed, new account set up should be quick.  I don't, however, have an ETA for when the registration problem will be fixed, unfortunately.  I'll also post something on the moderator boards to see if we can move the process along.


Thanks, Allan.
It does seem like the kind of forum I'd really enjoy!

AKP


"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3327
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 07, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:03 pm 
 

Tying in with OSRIC, is Fight On! only available from Lulu, as it looks to be worth picking up in an old school style..?


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5616
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 06, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:59 pm 
 

ashmire13 wrote:Tying in with OSRIC, is Fight On! only available from Lulu, as it looks to be worth picking up in an old school style..?


Yes, FO! is only published via Lulu POD (and in case you're curious, Knockspell is offset printed).


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3327
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 07, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:06 pm 
 

grodog wrote:
Yes, FO! is only published via Lulu POD (and in case you're curious, Knockspell is offset printed).


Forgive my ignorance, but I can't find Knockspell located in Lulu anywhere. Keep getting this message whenever trying to add a copy to my cart..

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/k ... 29/4402215


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3861
Joined: Feb 21, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 28, 2021
Location: Milford, Michigan

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:34 pm 
 

ashmire13 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but I can't find Knockspell located in Lulu anywhere. Keep getting this message whenever trying to add a copy to my cart..

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/k ... 29/4402215


buy it directly from black blade.

http://black-blade-publishing.com/Store.aspx


And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3327
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 07, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:36 pm 
 

:oops:  cheers Bill...


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3861
Joined: Feb 21, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 28, 2021
Location: Milford, Michigan

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:38 pm 
 

ashmire13 wrote::oops:  cheers Bill...


I still need buy the a couple hard copy issues to catch up. You are never alone!


And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2021

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:58 pm 
 

http://www.swordsmen-and-sorcerers.com/store

An old-schooly type publisher - North Wind Adventures

I ordered Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent last week.  $5 + shipping.

It got here today.

Apparently, the adventure has already appeard in Knockspell in a slightly different form.

Anyway - they were courteous and fast, and the total price was excellent.


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3327
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Last Visit: Mar 07, 2021
Location: Wandering aimlessly on the 8th level down...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:07 pm 
 

bbarsh wrote:
I still need buy the a couple hard copy issues to catch up. You are never alone!


Just something else to add to my list...  :wink:


Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5616
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 06, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:15 pm 
 

ashmire13 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but I can't find Knockspell located in Lulu anywhere. Keep getting this message whenever trying to add a copy to my cart..

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/k ... 29/4402215


Yeah, sorry:  when we began to publish Knockspell, most of the S&W titles were pulled from Lulu so that we could provide better quality products for the same or less cost.  

bbarsh wrote:buy it directly from black blade.
http://black-blade-publishing.com/Store.aspx


Couldn't have said it better myself :D  Thanks for the assist, Bill!

FormCritic wrote:I ordered Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent last week.  $5 + shipping.
Apparently, the adventure has already appeard in Knockspell in a slightly different form.
Anyway - they were courteous and fast, and the total price was excellent.


That's Jeff "Castle Zagyg co-writer" Talanian's publishing outfit, and they do some great stuff:  I'm very much looking forward to checking out their rules when the game is released!


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1026
Joined: Jun 05, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 31, 2021
Location: Huntsville, Ala.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:46 pm 
 

bbarsh wrote:
buy it directly from black blade.

http://black-blade-publishing.com/Store.aspx


I downloaded the S&W PDF.
This appears to be the full version (?) as opposed to the "White Box" version I'd downloaded a while back.

It's also curious to see references to 0E D&D.
I suppose this means "three booklets, boxed" + GH BM EW GDGH?

When will we see a -1E clone of Chainmail fantasy supplement?

Thanks

akp


"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 141
Joined: Jul 11, 2008
Last Visit: Oct 14, 2015

Post Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:13 pm 
 

Keith the Thief wrote:
I downloaded the S&W PDF.
This appears to be the full version (?) as opposed to the "White Box" version I'd downloaded a while back.

It's also curious to see references to 0E D&D.
I suppose this means "three booklets, boxed" + GH BM EW GDGH?

When will we see a -1E clone of Chainmail fantasy supplement?

Thanks

akp


What you got was the "Core" version, which uses the Greyhawk Supplement rules for combat, includes spells (and the higher level of spells) from the later supplements, etc. WhiteBox isn't "incomplete," it's the rules purely from the boxed set - the supplements didn't just add rules, they changed some as well, so the WhiteBox game is in several ways a fundamentally different set of rules.

I know it's confusing to have two parallel versions of the game.  :oops:

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1026
Joined: Jun 05, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 31, 2021
Location: Huntsville, Ala.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 pm 
 

Mythmere1 wrote:
What you got was the "Core" version, which uses the Greyhawk Supplement rules for combat, includes spells (and the higher level of spells) from the later supplements, etc. WhiteBox isn't "incomplete," it's the rules purely from the boxed set - the supplements didn't just add rules, they changed some as well, so the WhiteBox game is in several ways a fundamentally different set of rules.

I know it's confusing to have two parallel versions of the game.  :oops:


No, actually that makes sense.  
Is there a statement to that affect on the download site?
I probably just missed it.

It was clear that WhiteBox was simpler, but it didn't dawn on me that it was lacking the GH additions and corrections.

I'd always wondered if the D&D white box rules with the GH material seamlessly integrated was the way Gygax & Arneson wanted the rules to be like.

Anyway, S&W is looking good.

Thanks
akp


"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1026
Joined: Jun 05, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 31, 2021
Location: Huntsville, Ala.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:30 pm 
 

BTW -- Am I the only one who thinks it's bizarre that Original D&D does not tell you how to play the game.

If I were 13 again and looking at Men & Magic I'd probably put it back on the shelf and walk away shaking my head.

akp


"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1845
Joined: May 01, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 07, 2021
Location: Almost Lake Geneva, WI

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:24 pm 
 

Keith the Thief wrote:BTW -- Am I the only one who thinks it's bizarre that Original D&D does not tell you how to play the game.

So why do you think we revised it repeatedly?

F

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector

Posts: 1026
Joined: Jun 05, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 31, 2021
Location: Huntsville, Ala.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 pm 
 

ExTSR wrote:So why do you think we revised it repeatedly?

F


Er, yeah.  I do have a penchant for missing the obvious.

Why did you guys decide to move away from digest-size books?
We always found those easier to use than the larger format.

akp


"Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 581
Joined: Mar 17, 2008
Last Visit: Mar 07, 2021
Location: Evergreen, CO

Post Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:20 am 
 

ExTSR wrote:So why do you think we revised it repeatedly?

F


Says the guy who wrote the best tutorial...

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5616
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Mar 06, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:30 pm 
 

FYI, for folks who've been interested in K&K accounts, the registration problem seem to have been fixed, finally, so you should see email notifications coming for your registration requests.

Thork:  if you don't get one, they may have listened to your request to kill the account(s), so if you want an account set up and seem to be having problems, let me know and I'll check again with the admins.

Thanks for your collective patience on this :D


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 7 of 81234, 5, 6, 78