Looking for a Few Good Dungeon Levels
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:48 pm 

Folks,

Can you me some suggestions for a good, extensive, underground dungeon crawl. I'd like something with a lot of levels, no outdoor or city adventuring.
Preferably something for OD&D, C&C, BFRPG, or an AD&D dungeon that can be adapted for simple play.  

Thanks!

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:17 pm 

If you want something that needs little or no adaptation you might take a look at Stonehell Dungeon.

http://stores.lulu.com/poleandrope

It's inexpensive ($13), is written for Labyrinth Lord (emulates the Moldvay D&D rules), and has five very large levels.  Ninety percent of it is underground.

You can download a couple of previews of it from his Lulu store.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:19 am 

Castle Of The Mad Archmage, of course!

http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com/

(I'm up late and bleary eyed finishing proofreading of the last level now)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:42 pm 

I just downloaded Castle of the Archmage.
I like it.
Complete with monsters & treasure & traps, and the dungeon floorplans are even the right color ;-)

Playing time is going to be limited for us old fogies and we don't want to waste time with complex geopolitics and elaborate NPCs of some fantasy setting no one's ever heard of.

My crowd like a dungeon crawl with nasty traps and riddles with the occasional fast and unrealistic battle thrown in for fun!

I haven't checked out Stonehell yet, but will do so over the weekend

Thanks, folks.

P.S. -- PDF files of dungeon modules and old school rule books look great on an iPad. FWIW

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:25 pm 

I too am downloading it right now! I look forward to giving it a go. My group of gamers is 25-30 years old and I have been looking for a way to get them into old school stuff. Hopefully this will do it for them.

EDIT - 184 pages! awesome!

Shameless plug
http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/
(Note, I am not the talent, I am TheBro)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:38 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:If you want something that needs little or no adaptation you might take a look at Stonehell Dungeon.

http://stores.lulu.com/poleandrope

It's inexpensive ($13), is written for Labyrinth Lord (emulates the Moldvay D&D rules), and has five very large levels.  Ninety percent of it is underground.

You can download a couple of previews of it from his Lulu store.

I just downloaded Stonehell to my iPad. I'm now headed to a bookstore to buy an overpriced cup of coffee and read it.  I probably sound like an iPad apologist these days, but the gizmo really is ideal for reading RPG stuff.  Be curious how some of this looks on my Kindle in B&W.

Anyway, I digress. Looking forward to reading it and playing soon!

Thanks!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:33 pm 

So does the iPad have memory/storage expansion possibilities, or are you stuck with the GB you buy at the offset?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:38 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:So does the iPad have memory/storage expansion possibilities, or are you stuck with the GB you buy at the offset?

No expansion possibilities.  It does sound like a nice piece of hardware for reading PDF files but I can't make myself want to pull the trigger for the price they want.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:39 pm 

Right. You are indeed locked into 64GB, or whatever capacity you bought.

I had wanted a net book, actually.  But this turned better.

I love all the different apps.

But it has drawbacks, to be sure. The big one is its inability to play Adobe Flash.
And the SW upgrade to run multiple apps is still 2 months away.

If you're shopping for something like this I'd recommend test driving it and comparing it to other net books.  The iPad works for me, but it's not perfect.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:23 am 

July's update for Castle of the Mad Archmage....
http://www.mediafire.com/?mmzmi3yjhuz

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:22 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:July's update for Castle of the Mad Archmage....

Ta!  :D

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:53 pm 

IIRC, that's the lot.
Little cover splash says "Final Free Update", so hopefully there's a polished up product  for sale in the future. After all, the donkey work is done, and those Undermountain syle maps were spot on when they were around.
A Holloway cover and some Bradley internal artwork or EO BW doodles will polish this off nicely and produce a tidy little softcovr.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:27 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Little cover splash says "Final Free Update", so hopefully there's a polished up product  for sale in the future. After all, the donkey work is done, and those Undermountain syle maps were spot on when they were around.
A Holloway cover and some Bradley internal artwork or EO BW doodles will polish this off nicely and produce a tidy little softcovr.

We're taking a break at this point.  Next up will be some (free, IIRC) map booklets with the full poster maps for each level.  Definitely blue & white, maybe black & white, and Undermountain undecided; let me know if there is a strong desire for them.

A POD version and additional side levels (not free) in the future are in discussion.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:11 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:July's update for Castle of the Mad Archmage....

Just downloaded it.
I've thoroughly enjoyed what I've read so far from my July 1st download.
The cover is great.
Fond, fond memories of that font :-)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:58 am 

TheHistorian wrote:
We're taking a break at this point.  Next up will be some (free, IIRC) map booklets with the full poster maps for each level.  Definitely blue & white, maybe black & white, and Undermountain undecided; let me know if there is a strong desire for them.

A POD version and additional side levels (not free) in the future are in discussion.

The colour Undermountain style maps are easier to read. They also visually differentiate serarate areas of the map, which makes pacing easier if you're the DM. Poster Maps in digital form are a must to accompany the product. A full set of colour maps in digital form would be something I would be willing to pay for, as would 'side trek' type adventures (be they passageways back to the surface, demi-planes, sub-levels, whatever) On the whole theough, these would need to remain consistem with the existing product (same cover, different text). If you change the drawing on the cover, you'll find it hard to remain congruent with the existing product. It is a famous art piece).

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:22 am 

I'll pass that information on!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:30 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:
Just downloaded it.
I've thoroughly enjoyed what I've read so far from my July 1st download.
The cover is great.
Fond, fond memories of that font :-)

Just stumbled across this as a tie in with the above and apparently should work well together as the top level etc.

http://rapidshare.com/files/257062370/T ... Castle.pdf

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 pm 

If you were interested in a wild and zany "dungeon" that had pretty much everything... I'd suggest Hall of Many Panes by GaryGygax, designed for the d20 and Lejendary Adventure game. Easy enough to convert to another system, but much more fun in LA.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Next