Traitor Module (not Thieves World one)
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:22 am 

I need all your knowledge to help me to determine what this module is.

I recently pick up a module called Traitor (not the Thieves World module) but cannot find any information about it.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 02&ssPageN ame=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It was originally listed in a lot of TSR and non-TSR modules from 80's (with GammaWorld, Timemaster and Champions stuff).

The seller told me that it came with the other modules they obtained from an estate in upstate New York. So it would be from the 80's. Perhaps a Tournament module in NY.

It is looseleaf and still shrink (the shrink looks genuine) so I cannot open it to get more information...

Anyone?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 pm 

Anything useful on the back?

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:16 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Anything useful on the back?

The item description says.

The reverse is blank.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:52 pm 

Yes, the reverse is blank :( It is a cardboard on the back.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:59 pm 

Nope, haven't heard of it.  Always tough to tell if it was a tourney mod or homebrew that someone put together to sell.

Without a name/address/company name also tough to find out anything more.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:23 pm 

I hope that someone recognize it one day :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:52 pm 

My opinion would be to open it in order to see if there are further clues.  If it's obscure enough that no one recognizes it, "value" between open and shrinked is negligible, IMHO.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:36 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:My opinion would be to open it in order to see if there are further clues.  If it's obscure enough that no one recognizes it, "value" between open and shrinked is negligible, IMHO.

I'm with you on that one.  In the end, curiosity would get the better of me and I would open it anyway.  Especially if I didn't pay too much for it.  Mind you, I have ripped off the shrink on a couple $80+ items that I bought too.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:11 pm 

Yes, why not.... hum but if it is only a homebrew item or if there is no more information I have some regrets :(

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:53 pm 

Wait a week or two in case someone who doesn't visit here constantly does end up recognizing it.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:26 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:I need all your knowledge to help me to determine what this module is.

I recently pick up a module called Traitor (not the Thieves World module) but cannot find any information about it.

** expired/removed eBay auction **
ame=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It was originally listed in a lot of TSR and non-TSR modules from 80's (with GammaWorld, Timemaster and Champions stuff).
The seller told me that it came with the other modules they obtained from an estate in upstate New York. So it would be from the 80's. Perhaps a Tournament module in NY.

It is looseleaf and still shrink (the shrink looks genuine) so I cannot open it to get more information...

Anyone?

Before you deshrink it you need to ask yourself a few questions...

Do you Need to open it immediately or can you wait?

If you pop that shrink it is gone and done, can you get the information about it another way and can you one day find a copy without the shrink?

Are you collecting for trade or resale value? A mystery item and a mystery item in shrink certainly holds more value than an opened item.

Personally I would keep it in shrink and wait to find out more information, and then wait some more.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:27 pm 

Yes, I am not hurry. I am just curious.
Actually I am not a reseller (I sell only extra copies or games that I am not still interested in) so I will keep this one :)

Noone from NY here?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:44 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote: A mystery item and a mystery item in shrink certainly holds more value than an opened item.

It is better to wait and see if anymore info comes out but doing some basic searches on Google for Merzar or Krakco, etc doing bring up anything useful so more info is not likely.

As far as a valuation, in shrink or no shrink won't make much difference here.  The mystery part can have a positive or negative impact.  The cover page makes the adventure sound somewhat interesting but if it turns into a real stinker then maybe its not so desirable.  However, if it turns out to be an RPGA tourney sent out for use at a con or authored by someone related to RPGs then it could be worth more.

Also, letting out more info could uncover additional copies or create more interest, etc.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:09 am 

Mars wrote:It is better to wait and see if anymore info comes out but doing some basic searches on Google for Merzar or Krakco, etc doing bring up anything useful so more info is not likely.

I tried on google as well, before posting here, with no luck.

Mars wrote:As far as a valuation, in shrink or no shrink won't make much difference here.  The mystery part can have a positive or negative impact.  The cover page makes the adventure sound somewhat interesting but if it turns into a real stinker then maybe its not so desirable.

I will never say that it is not interesting if I open the shrink :D
But anyway, most of us collect mainly for the item, not always for the content.

Mars wrote:However, if it turns out to be an RPGA tourney sent out for use at a con or authored by someone related to RPGs then it could be worth more.

It definitively looks like a tourney module. I guess not RPGA, more local con/tournament, in New York certainly (since the seller found it there)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:54 am 

lokiwookie wrote:It definitively looks like a tourney module. I guess not RPGA, more local con/tournament, in New York certainly (since the seller found it there)

I wouldn't completely rule out RPGA yet.  It seems like they sent out maybe hundreds of tourney mods to local conventions to use.  I picked up one from the local con in Toronto, ON.  It came with some generic RPGA evaluation sheets but so far I haven't been able to verify it with any one from the RPGA.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:30 am 

Is there a way to recognize this kind of RPGA tourney mod'?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:58 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Is there a way to recognize this kind of RPGA tourney mod'?

The module itself may not specifically say but you may want to ask Frank Mentzer or Jean Rabe on the off chance they recognize the writing or names.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:27 pm 

I hope he will come through this post :)

Next