The Slumbering Tsar
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:53 pm 

Hi folks!
I thought I'd report this from Paizocon.
Some of you may or may not know, but The Slumbering Tsar campaign is currently being released gradually in PDF format, available via subscription from [url]talesofthefroggod.com[/url]. This is a campaign written by Greg Vaughan, and he wrote 450,000 words and created 100 maps for it. It's being updated to the Pathfinder rules, and I believe takes characters from 5th to the low-twenties levels.
Here's the interesting part. For anyone who subscribes up until the end of this year's GenCon at a price of $125, you will also get a free hardback copy signed by Greg and Bill Webb, for the price of shipping, I think.
The hardback will have a very limited printing run- basically, as many people as want it will get a copy (or copies), but Bill is expecting somewhere between 100-300 or so.
Note that if you don't subscribe before the end of GenCon, copies will then cost $180-200- so don't delay!
If anyone is interested and subscribes directly because of me, please email Bill Webb and mention my username here! Cheers!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:37 pm 

You might want to read this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=10007

The big question for me is what guarantee is there that a hardback will actually be produced when all is said and done?  I could care less about pdf's.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:28 am 

astenon wrote:Hi folks!
I thought I'd report this from Paizocon.
Some of you may or may not know, but The Slumbering Tsar campaign is currently being released gradually in PDF format, available via subscription from [url]talesofthefroggod.com[/url]. This is a campaign written by Greg Vaughan, and he wrote 450,000 words and created 100 maps for it. It's being updated to the Pathfinder rules, and I believe takes characters from 5th to the low-twenties levels.
Here's the interesting part. For anyone who subscribes up until the end of this year's GenCon at a price of $125, you will also get a free hardback copy signed by Greg and Bill Webb, for the price of shipping, I think.
The hardback will have a very limited printing run- basically, as many people as want it will get a copy (or copies), but Bill is expecting somewhere between 100-300 or so.
Note that if you don't subscribe before the end of GenCon, copies will then cost $180-200- so don't delay!
If anyone is interested and subscribes directly because of me, please email Bill Webb and mention my username here! Cheers!

Astenon,

You don't happen to have an active e-mail address for Bill Webb do you?  The e-mail address on the website is not active.

King:  I agree with you completely.  It's one of the reasons I would like to send and  e-mail and get some of my concerns answered.  

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:41 pm 

I think many of you know me. Those that do know that I am a highly stand up guy when it comes to this stuff. I'll deliver. Art is done (well, a few left to go), book is written (all 500k+ words) and is formatted. Maps are done up to Chapter 5...and Robert is humping themout as fast as I can beat him. Anyone w/ specific questions can ping me at [email protected].

I already priced and figured out the printing through lightningpress to do the hardcovers. All prices do NOT include shipping. Too many fans in the UK, Finland and Western Australia to set a price for a 800 page book.

Only the subscriptions get the hardcover limited edition; signed and numbered by me and Greg. Extra hardcovers are still $125 each. Ping me if you want several and maybe we can work something out.

If there are extras (yes I am printing several extras) they will go to the first "X" people that order all of the loose chapters DIRECTLY FROM MY WEBSITE (not DTRPG, not at Paizo, just from me). After that, the hardcovers are going to cost a lot more, since printing 1 costs a fortune and printing 200-300 costs a lot less per unit. I am going to discontinue the $125 soon.

Pdfs are sold 3 ways (me, paizo, dtrpg). POD softcovers of each chapter will be sold at DTRPG for about 12 or 13 bucks for each chapter.

Oh yeah, since Lisa Stevens spilled the beans at Paizocon, the Limited Eds get an extra chapter otherwise unavailable...but I haven't even announced that on my site yet. After the subscription copies go away, so does the bonus chapter, forever, and its not in the pdf set. I did the same thing w/ Rappan Athuk Reloaded...I should probably have reprinted it, but did not because I said it was a limited edition.

I am pretty sure Shane G. will vouch for me on delivery. So trust me, or don't trust me. But I do what I say I will.

There will be <500 copies of this (probably, but I hope more:)). I already have enough dough in the pipeline to cover costs for 150 copies (about 110 are ordered), so the product is fully funded.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:33 pm 

Thank you for the detailed reply.  That clears up many of my concerns and questions.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:46 pm 

Paul--I emailed as well; but to be clear--the $125 subscription is the only way to ensure you get the book. Other's can get a hardcover later, but it will be a) unsigned, and b) missing the bonus chapter.

This is done to reward those who helped us go to press.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:55 pm 

tsathogga wrote:Paul--I emailed as well; but to be clear--the $125 subscription is the only way to ensure you get the book. Other's can get a hardcover later, but it will be a) unsigned, and b) missing the bonus chapter.

This is done to reward those who helped us go to press.

Do you have a new web-page? (and a link to it, the old one seems to be dead).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:05 pm 

http://talesofthefroggod.com/

its here!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm 

Thanks for the update, Tsathogga! :)  I appreciate you taking the time to post on the Acaeum about this project and am very much looking forward to the book's release.

One copy ordered! ;)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:06 pm 

PaulKM wrote:Thank you for the detailed reply.  That clears up many of my concerns and questions.

Best,

Paul

Same here.  I missed out on Rappan Athuk, Abysthor, and just about every other Necromancer product simply because I was never going to play 3.0/3.5.  Had to play catch up and pay higher than retail prices in some cases in order to get a hold of some really great product.  Not going to do that this time around.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:23 pm 

A simple question...

This big thing is set for the Pathfinder setting?  Or is this a standalone setting using the Pathfinder rule set?

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:24 pm 

Not setting specific, though most of it is based on the Necromancer Setting roughly (Tsar, Tsen etc.) with reference to Abysthor, Rappan Athuk and other Necro world areas.

Like everything else I try to make; its a portable sandbox full of monsters:)

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:51 pm 

Convinced me as well. Just signed up (and paid) for the premium subscription.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:52 pm 

I am pretty sure you will be very happy. As an old school grognard myself, its a solid book.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:59 pm 

tsathogga wrote:I am pretty sure you will be very happy. As an old school grognard myself, its a solid book.

I plan to subscribe as well.  Any plans (or chance) Wrath of Orcus will ever see the light of day?

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:03 pm 

tsathogga wrote:I am pretty sure you will be very happy. As an old school grognard myself, its a solid book.

I've been finishing up my Necromancer rpg collection and I have been incredibly impressed by the style and presentation of the modules and rulebooks. I had originally picked up a few as pdfs and was shocked when I saw the size of many of these. Some would cost around $20 just to print in paper and ink, and others were too massive to really contemplate printing them out even in black and white.

I couldnt see just buying the PDFs and not end up with a hardcover copy with extras. I've downloaded the first part and need to sit down and dig into the start of the campaign.

How will the subscription system work? Email notices when other pdfs in the series come available or should we check in at the website?

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:04 pm 

simrion wrote:
I plan to subscribe as well.  Any plans (or chance) Wrath of Orcus will ever see the light of day?

What is Wrath of Orcus?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:27 pm 

Its a battle scene module Clark was working on when it got smacked by the "no-use" of miniatures by WOTC. Its vapor.

Next