free rpg day 2010
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:36 am 

What time zone is NK in? Tried getting one of the free games day items from them but cannot figure out how, unless they havent put them up yet for request or order.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:05 pm 

You have to put in the note box when you pay what you want.  I should be in good shape.  I got my order in 36 seconds after 11CST.  Their software clock is in EST, btw.  

Also, there is some pretty cool stuff in there priced fairly.  I picked up an uncut sheet of spellfire cards and a spellfire poster for about 30 bucks.  And for every $15 you spend you can chose items from the 1c sale.  The recent WOTC catalogs will be a fun read for a penny for me!

Good luck all!

Pipswich Peddles (and trades) for his collection!  
http://stores.ebay.com/Pipswich-Peddles

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:10 pm 

Pipswich wrote:You have to put in the note box when you pay what you want.  I should be in good shape.  I got my order in 36 seconds after 11CST.  Their software clock is in EST, btw.

You dont put the Free RPG items in the note box during checkout.  They are listed under their category (Dark Sun module is under WoTC -> Dark Sun 4E) as a 1 cent item.  Just add it to your cart like you would anything else.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:11 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:What time zone is NK in? Tried getting one of the free games day items from them but cannot figure out how, unless they havent put them up yet for request or order.

Central time.  They are based out of Wisconsin.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:12 pm 

Pipswich wrote:You have to put in the note box when you pay what you want.  I should be in good shape.  I got my order in 36 seconds after 11CST.  Their software clock is in EST, btw.  

Also, there is some pretty cool stuff in there priced fairly.  I picked up an uncut sheet of spellfire cards and a spellfire poster for about 30 bucks.  And for every $15 you spend you can chose items from the 1c sale.  The recent WOTC catalogs will be a fun read for a penny for me!

Good luck all!

Not sure what was up at 11am EST (or 11:30) but I could not find these items when I did a search. At 12:05 PM EST they were there and I was able to place an order with a free rpg games day item selected.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:13 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Central time.  They are based out of Wisconsin.

Ahh, Wisconsin, Land of Cheese.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:15 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:
Not sure what was up at 11am EST (or 11:30) but I could not find these items when I did a search. At 12:05 PM EST they were there and I was able to place an order with a free rpg games day item selected.

The Free RPG stuff wasnt added until 11 am Central standard time.  Which makes sense since you couldnt purchase any of them until 12 EST.  You should have learned how to read instead of building frames.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:22 pm 

You can also look at all the one cent items as a category:

http://www.nobleknight.com/viewmanuf.as ... oryid_E_22

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:46 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
The Free RPG stuff wasnt added until 11 am Central standard time.  Which makes sense since you couldnt purchase any of them until 12 EST.  You should have learned how to read instead of building frames.

You will notice that pip said their software clock was in EST which made me try for some clarity, but you chose the smart-ass reply. My mistake for replying to one of your posts. Won't happen again.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:19 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote:

You will notice that pip said their software clock was in EST which made me try for some clarity, but you chose the smart-ass reply. My mistake for replying to one of your posts. Won't happen again.

And if you had paid attention to the earlier posts in the thread, you would have noticed that the time was Central, not Eastern.  It was also plain to see on their website.  I chose the smart-ass reply because I simply couldnt help it.  At the time it seemed like the right thing to do.  After some thought....it still seems right.  Especially after your tirade about frame building in the other thread which you never once tried to clarify or heaven-forbid, apologize for (if you have to ask why...then you are a bigger jerk than I thought).

And I for one am glad to be on your ignore list.  Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.  :roll:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:21 pm 

I'm having trouble keeping track.  Were you already on his list or are a new addition?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:41 pm 

The one I absolutely wanted but didn't get, probably because the game store kept it for themselves, was the Heroes Forever stuff. I have one store in my area. :(

If you have an extra, PM me. Looking to swap rather than buy outright.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:00 pm 

Since Free RPG Day is left up to the retailers to promote and execute, Your Mileage May Vary.  Some stores had lots of customers, some not so much.  My impressions of what stores can do on Free RPG Day to be successful:
  • Promote - Put it on your web page, on your store flyers, in your store window, etc.  Do this at least a month ahead of time.  If your store doesn't tell me about Free RPG Day, then I am not likely to stop by and check out what you have to sell me.  And make sure your employees are telling customers about Free RPG Day as soon as the customers enter the store.
  • Discount - Discount your RPG stock, both old and new.  Put the clunkers on clearance.  Make some of your clunkers part of the Free RPG table.  X% off all RPGs and minis makes it a good bet that I will buy something.  I spent money on a few "Ooo, it's 50% off!" books today.
  • Target - If you are a comic book store with few to no RPGs, why are you participating?  Gamers won't come, and comic-book buyers won't be interested.  I will buy a $4 comic book, but that's because I don't want to dine-and-dash.

Here's my rating of the popularity of each item:

Les Invisibles (store keeper):
- Dice tower
- Free RPG Day Chessex dice

Uber Limited:
- Heroes Forever mini rulebook and mini adventure pack
- Harn Quickstart

Red Hot:
- 4E Dark Sun "Bloodsand Arena"
- Pathfinder "Master of the Fallen Fortress"
- Warhammer 40K Deathwatch "Final Sanction"
- Bag o' d10 + 2 tokens (Q-Workshop)

Warm:
- L5R 4th Edition Quickstart
- Castles & Crusades Quickstart

Cold:
- Age of Cthulhu "Abominations of the Amazon"
- Exalted 2nd Edition Quickstart
- Hollow Earth Expedition Quickstart
- Roll d-Infinity magazine

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:05 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:Here's my rating of the popularity of each item:

Les Invisibles (store keeper):
- Dice tower
- Free RPG Day Chessex dice

Uber Limited:
- Heroes Forever mini rulebook and mini adventure pack
- Harn Quickstart

Red Hot:
- 4E Dark Sun "Bloodsand Arena"
- Pathfinder "Master of the Fallen Fortress"
- Warhammer 40K Deathwatch "Final Sanction"
- Bag o' d10 + 2 tokens (Q-Workshop)

Warm:
- L5R 4th Edition Quickstart
- Castles & Crusades Quickstart

Cold:
- Age of Cthulhu "Abominations of the Amazon"
- Exalted 2nd Edition Quickstart
- Hollow Earth Expedition Quickstart
- Roll d-Infinity magazine

I agree with your rankings except for the Age of Cthulhu item.  I'd say it's at least warm and closer to hot.  Also, I'd probably lower the Warhammer 40K Deathwatch "Final Sanction" closer to warm.  I still have the dice and tower for sale as far as I know.  Check my classified ad if anyone wants them.

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:12 pm 

benjoshua wrote:I agree with your rankings except for the Age of Cthulhu item.  I'd say it's at least warm and closer to hot.  Also, I'd probably lower the Warhammer 40K Deathwatch "Final Sanction" closer to warm.  I still have the dice and tower for sale as far as I know.  Check my classified ad if anyone wants them.

BTW, your prices in the Classifieds are reasonable, but I can't bring myself to pay for the dice (despite the Free RPG Day logo) and the dice tower (just a dice tower).  Maybe after I've made my gas money back . . .  :)

[Edit:  On an unrelated note, Heroic Adventures, Fantasy Games/Fantasy Books, and The Fantasy Shop stores in Missouri did a great job getting people through the doors.  Good stores all.]

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:20 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:BTW, your prices in the Classifieds are reasonable, but I can't bring myself to pay for the dice (despite the Free RPG Day logo) and the dice tower (just a dice tower).  Maybe after I've made my gas money back . . .  :)

I'll give Acaeum folks another 12 hours or so and then they are up on eBay.  And in the interest of full disclosure, I made my investment back and then some this year.  MUCH better stuff.  :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:17 pm 

As mentioned upthread, I tried (and was able) to get some extra stuff from various local game stores. I will send out 1 item per person based on pms I get. Please only ask for stuff you do not have. I am going to pay for shipping and the purpose of this is to get stuff to people who otherwise wouldn't have a shot at it. I have:
Age of Cthulhu: Abomination of the Amazon - GONE!
Deathwatch Final Sanction - GONE!
Exalted: Under the Rose
Pathfinder: Master of the Fallen Fortress - GONE!
D&D 4e: Bloodsand Arena - GONE!

If you are interested in mroe than one item, please put them in order in case someone already claimed the item you want. You will get the first available item remaining on your list. I expect this stuff to go quickly. I will stop by some stores tomorrow to see if I can get some more stuff to give away. I am going to list the city where things are gonig to just for fun to show how widespread this mailing gets.

Shameless plug
http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/
(Note, I am not the talent, I am TheBro)

Last edited by Laertes on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:41 am 

I was at PaizoCon all day....totally missed Free RPG Day 2010  :?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext