The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 52 of 74123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 727374
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:09 pm 

stratochamp wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:that's an easy call: as they lie about stoned to catatonia, paul mccartney swoops in, outmanuevers them and buys the whole board.

Don't be ridiculous, everyone knows that Paul was already dead by the time of GenCon 0.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:53 pm 

Blackmoor wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Tournament modules from a con in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan circa 1983.  They are very nicley done:)  

Those are awesome!  They were on the Mattias' nonTSR page so they are "known" and I've tried to track them down in the past - Kelly Sturch passed away years ago (drowned I believe) and Dan Hatchen has been more occupied with law/legal issues to worry about RPGs.

Wizards Corner was the store in Saskatoon/Regina where Kelly worked (owned too I think - would have to double check my notes).  They got in a lot of the nonTSR type stuff BITD.  I'm sure that's where my copy of Daystar West Pharoah came from and a bunch of other stuff.  When the store closed a lot of their stock seemed to end up at the Sentry Box.  A lot of small press stuff I picked up from Sentry Box had price stickers from Wizard's Corner.

I do still wonder if the other tourney adventures from the con were available for purchase such as this one.

Great Great find!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:16 am 

Did I mention that was a great find!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:39 am 

Mars wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:
Blackmoor wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Tournament modules from a con in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan circa 1983.  They are very nicley done:)  

Those are awesome!  They were on the Mattias' nonTSR page so they are "known" and I've tried to track them down in the past - Kelly Sturch passed away years ago (drowned I believe) and Dan Hatchen has been more occupied with law/legal issues to worry about RPGs.

Wizards Corner was the store in Saskatoon/Regina where Kelly worked (owned too I think - would have to double check my notes).  They got in a lot of the nonTSR type stuff BITD.  I'm sure that's where my copy of Daystar West Pharoah came from and a bunch of other stuff.  When the store closed a lot of their stock seemed to end up at the Sentry Box.  A lot of small press stuff I picked up from Sentry Box had price stickers from Wizard's Corner.

I do still wonder if the other tourney adventures from the con were available for purchase such as this one.

Great Great find!

Cool  :D

I actually traded these off a guy for 3.5 books, 40 hardcover 3.5 books for 40 old school mods, mostly Harn and some other obscure stuff.  I bought the 3.5 books from kijji a few months ago with intentions to sell them off later, turns out this guy was tired of hauling this old stuff around and was playing 3.5 so it was a nice match!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:46 am 

I think I may have a photo copy of one of these (I think I may have gotten it off Mathias)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:08 pm 

Dimension Demons, Metagaming MicroGame 17, 1980. Great cover painting with a bizarre sense of composition - is it naive art, or does it show the patchwork nature of commercial art? Or does it intentionally show its subject matter of odd dimensional intersections? These were my introduction to wargaming as a kid, but now they mostly make me nostalgic for spring 1996. That's when I obtained a bunch of the MicroGames I have now, so for better or worse that's what they make me think of. Everything I was doing back then, The X-Files & Dark Skies, Star Trek spinoffs like Voyager & worse, the Star Wars revival with its muscleman-proportioned action figures. Sun Chips. Dole-Kemp's footnote of a campaign. CD-roms, by which we would experience virtual reality. Nostalgia is weird like that.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:06 pm 

The booklet from the 1981 Mattel D&D Labyrinth game. I've had the game for years, but could never figure it out from the basic instructions on the drawer. Reviews of it are poor, & electronic games of the period frequently worked poorly, so I've never known whether I'm doing it right or not. Now I will finally understand just how much it really does suck.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:12 am 

Most recent find: Mayfair/Role-Aids Demons and Sentinels box sets, both complete and in great shape - $10US at HPB.

-SJ

If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 pm 

sauromatian wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:The booklet from the 1981 Mattel D&D Labyrinth game. I've had the game for years, but could never figure it out from the basic instructions on the drawer. Reviews of it are poor, & electronic games of the period frequently worked poorly, so I've never known whether I'm doing it right or not. Now I will finally understand just how much it really does suck.

Bah!---my kids love it, and they're still scared of the Dragon Wakes noise :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:04 am 

Maybe not a big deal... but I am pleased to have noticed it before it ended as I had been looking for this one for a long time.
First time I have ever seen it on e-Bay and only caught it a few hours before the end of the auction.
How this escaped the perview of the Acaeum Auction Hawks I have no idea.
Perhaps you all already have copies?
And it had what I thought was a very low BIN...  :)
The-Condo-of-Dr-Demento-Massconfusion-1984:  Cost $20 USD  -  including shipping.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:58 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Maybe not a big deal... but I am pleased to have noticed it before it ended as I had been looking for this one for a long time.
First time I have ever seen it on e-Bay and only caught it a few hours before the end of the auction.
How this escaped the perview of the Acaeum Auction Hawks I have no idea.
Perhaps you all already have copies?
And it had what I thought was a very low BIN...  :)
The-Condo-of-Dr-Demento-Massconfusion-1984:  Cost $20 USD  -  including shipping.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Damn, that is awesome.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:02 am 

Congrats!  I quite like the Massconfusion mods... they were among the first 'tourney' items I added to my collection :)  Highly recomended!

The author had stock left of 8 or 9 titles a couple years ago and wasn't asking a fortune.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:39 pm 

Thunderdave! wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Congrats!  I quite like the Massconfusion mods... they were among the first 'tourney' items I added to my collection :)  Highly recomended!

The author had stock left of 8 or 9 titles a couple years ago and wasn't asking a fortune.

Yes, they are fairly good old school modules; home printed back in the day and some had printing and quality control flaws (like missing text and even missing pages).

There was a thread here somewhere a few years ago about the author and his various tourney modules.
Not long after my noticing that thread he listed copies of what he had left in stock on e-Bay and through e-Bay I contacted him and obtained copies of all the fantsay related MC Mods he had left (he also had some Sci-Fi Mods), but this one was not amongst his remaining stash...
From what I recall The Condo of Dr. Demento is the toughest to find.

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:25 pm 

I guess they're getter scarcer then!  Nice pick up :)

I think the Dungeon of Dr Demento is pretty tough to get... I forget the story but I understand there are only a handful (plus as many photocopies).  Maybe someone can help me recollect how they were distributed - maybe at the con only?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:09 pm 

Dungeon of Dr Demento is the tough one to find.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 pm 

Yeah, I think you guys are right.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:45 pm 

Dungeon sold out a while ago; Condo sold out more recently.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:58 pm 

Thunderdave! wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Congrats!  I quite like the Massconfusion mods... they were among the first 'tourney' items I added to my collection :)  Highly recomended!

I picked up a tourney mod from either the convention organizer or author from the 84 Massconfusion last year, it was the one my group played in.  It was called the Tomb of St. Duncan and although our group screwed up and died early, it was a memorable event and weekend.  It was awesome to find it so many years later.

I remember playing one of the Demento mods at the hotel we stayed at.  There were a couple of college guys running it out of their room.  Four of us high school kids walked by (their door was wide open to the hall) and joined in.  I remember something about a +5 paper airplane...

Fun times!

~throwi

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 52 of 74123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 727374