The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 51 of 74123 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 727374
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:09 pm 

Calgary is a big enough city and has an RPG history (and a couple longstanding stores) so it is a great place to find things.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 pm 

Mars wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Calgary is a big enough city and has an RPG history (and a couple longstanding stores) so it is a great place to find things.

Quite so, there are some gaming groups (both RPG and wargaming) that have been together and active since the mid 70's

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:12 pm 

IIRC I have a spare Zorin I'd be willing to part with.  I think mine's signed, too.  Will have to check.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:36 am 

Nice score Jeff!

Where'd you put all the incomplete Forgotten Realms box sets?  Or do those just come in the local collections I find, lol.

+ 1 to the City of Valla map, that looks like a plum find!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:36 am 

Got the Book of Mars 1E.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The interesting thing is the presence of the wrap cover, soft paper, in addition to the thick cover. Do all copies should include this paper cover?

On ToT there is both but the 1st Kynan copy could have lost the paper cover.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:11 am 

mine does have the "second" cover.
kynan's copy (or former copy, he's probably sold it off by now) sounds incomplete.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:12 am 

I believe so (my copy does)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:12 am 

Mine has the second cover too.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:10 pm 

Thanks! :)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:38 am 

lokiwookie wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Got the Book of Mars 1E.

The interesting thing is the presence of the wrap cover, soft paper, in addition to the thick cover. Do all copies should include this paper cover?

On ToT there is both but the 1st Kynan copy could have lost the paper cover.

Congrads. It has substantially more in it than the FASA reprint (white cover) that had whole chapters removed from it.

And a fantastic find there, Blackmoor, on the City of Valla map. A most covetted item to be sure. I've been looking for one of those for too long.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:00 am 

Don Miller's SF&F Journal (formerly WSFA Journal) 87, Feb. '76, from red wizard in Canada. Apparently the mail there is regularly attacked by wolves & bears, as it came in an envelope so tough it had to be snipped open using wire cutters. It's a fanzine that is basically a pre-digital forum, consisting of letters passed around - science fiction reviews & all the other stuff you'd expect from a forum, including of course flamewars. Much like the one that leads Strategic Review 3, Gygax's "What's Going on Here?" editorial against Donald Featherstone & various other dungeon haters. Although he doesn't do much of that in SF&F J 87, Gygax does write about D&D for a couple of pages in an article entitled "Sword & Sorcery Is a Game Too!," ending with "On the bright side, it seems to be as enjoyable to females as it is to males, so the lovelife of the typical addict is not entirely forsaken!" No, that doesn't sound creepy at all.  The cover illo is also credited to Gygax: it's the one from p. 11 of Blackmoor, reproduced here with the signed initials DCS intact. The Wikipedia effect seems to have existed for pre-digital forums as well.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:35 pm 

Picked up this little bunch of mins recently:

The Ugly
• You're always going to get broken items in a lot like this. Not many are, however, and a couple are in good enough shape to make a custom job of it.
• I'm going to have to strip a number of them.

The Bad
• All three of the dragons are incomplete. The (series I) Tiamat is missing tail and wings, the red a right wing, and the brass one of the neck frills. Not counting the gems and altars.
• The Custom Cast Nazgul and beast (I think that's what they were) is missing the right wing and end of the tail is broken. I think the rider is supposed to be holding something as well.
• Some figs I still can't positively ID, even though in a few cases they are clearly marked Grenadier or something else.
• The storm giant is missing its arm.
• The hippogriff is missing its wings and the tail is broken.
• A good many spare parts.

The Good
• Very little sign of lead rot on anything.
• A good many old Citadel/GW minis (did Warhammer go that far back?) from the old metal 85-88 timeframe. Not the biggest fan of their stuff, but cleaned up, they should get me a few, and I might consider keeping a couple.
• Nearly complete sets of figs from Monster Manuscripts I and VI, missing only the borer serpent and manticore.
• A complete set of the Grenadier Djinni/Efreet/treasure set from the Gold Line blister.
• Complete basilisk/cockatrice and treasure from Grenadier Gold Line blister.
• I was able to complete two more Grenadier Gold Line box sets.
• And the best for last: some officially licenced D&D minis produced by Citadel. Three kobolds (unpainted), three hobgoblins, and two of three from the female fighter pack.

All in all, a fun little haul, I think.  :D

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 pm 

A 1960s copy of Diplomacy, an acquisition prompted by reading Playing at the World. The edition played at early GenCons as the RPG was invented. Made in the USA from red cardboard, typewriter-hammered intro rules, & a clear plastic parts cover not quite like modern polymers from China. All very mid-century, slide-rule era. May be used to play out alternate histories - for instance, what would a Diplomacy game between Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, & Janis Joplin have been like? Now I can find out for sure.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:30 pm 

that's an easy call: as they lie about stoned to catatonia, paul mccartney swoops in, outmanuevers them and buys the whole board.

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 am 

Just traded a local guy some stuff, I mostly got a bunch of Harn Books :)

Stuffed in the box was a few real wierd items including these:

Tournament modules from a con in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan circa 1983.  They are very nicley done:)  

Very cool

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:57 am 

Blackmoor wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Just traded a local guy some stuff, I mostly got a bunch of Harn Books :)

You automatically win the trade, at least in my opinion.   :D

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:00 am 

Picked up this little bunch of mins recently:

100 Dungeons and Dragons Lead D D Miniatures 70 80 Lot | eBay

Two very nice OOP GW Chaos Sorcerers in there, too. Nice find.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:10 am 

Blackmoor wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Tournament modules from a con in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan circa 1983.  They are very nicley done:)  

Excellent find!
In North America, you are very lucky to get the chance to find some gems like this. In France, in the best case, we can find a complete Monopoly...

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 51 of 74123 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 727374