The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 45 of 74123 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 727374
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:37 am 

Ha, yes... maybe I'll start to label all my books like that, easier to keep track    :wink:

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:50 am 

Héhé :)
I remember this because I hesitated to buy it, but the cross put me off. I still need this version.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:13 pm 

Every once in a while something clicks (and makes sense) when I scan through inventory of some favourite online shops.  I am sure I have looked at the listing for this item a dozen times in the past over a few years and the other day it clicked.  Sent airmail from the UK, took 6 weeks - thought it was lost, arrived today.  The paper envelope was ripped open at both ends but the item seems complete.

DreamWorlds RPG - finally those other DreamWorlds books make sense to me too.  Copyright 1987, each book is 44 pages.  It looks like the Combat System was an extra add-on book so 2 items in one swoop.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:28 pm 

Awesome. Did you buy it from Spirit Games?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:53 pm 

Yes.  I'm sure a number of people have gone through their catalog in the past and missed this too.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:28 am 

Hi, I picked this up recently:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

...it is *really* interesting. Basically a competitor to Chainmail fantasy, written with plenty of imagination. It is dated 1978 but is based upon a fantasy war-game campaign dating from "early 1972"; plenty of detailed rules for fighting dragons, undead etc.. creating magic-users, casting spells, different magic items, divine intervention etc...

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:17 pm 

When Dungeons and Dragons appeared, there were more than a few people considered themselves to have been ripped off.

There is also a tendency on everyone's part to back date their gaming...especially the early dates that indicate who was first with what.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:40 pm 

red_bus wrote:Hi, I picked this up recently:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

...it is *really* interesting. Basically a competitor to Chainmail fantasy, written with plenty of imagination. It is dated 1978 but is based upon a fantasy war-game campaign dating from "early 1972"; plenty of detailed rules for fighting dragons, undead etc.. creating magic-users, casting spells, different magic items, divine intervention etc...

Any relation to the Reaper Miniatures wargaming rules?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:25 pm 

No relation to Reaper minis but "Reaper" is the pre-cursor to Warhammer Fantasy Battles.  Nice pickup.  I have felt (and still do) that this is one that is undervalued maybe because it is just unknown to so many.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:58 pm 

Had an awesome garage sale find on Saturday. Everything is a bit musty from being stored in a basement, but no water damage, warping or mold. Most of the items are crisp and clean inside, a few have some penciled notes. Box sets are all complete with original dice (un-inked and unused!)
The Monster Manual is a 3rd Alpha (unfortunately highlighting inside) the Shadow World Atlas and RM Companion 2 are in shrink, Car Wars sets are like new, unpunched.
Also included a tub full of Monstrous Compendiums in binders; looks like two complete sets with all expansions.
I smiled all weekend.  :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:22 am 

I liked you when we were at the table with Frank at GaryCon. Now I think I want to kick you in the groin out of spite and jealousy :)

Seriously, what an awesome find. Good for you.

Zach

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:10 am 

So what printing is the Monster Manual?  DOH - never mind   :oops:

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 pm 

Nice fine!---and hopefully since it was a garage sale, you got it all on the cheap :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:09 am 

Very nice Morrow Project lot. And good find with the 1st pr. Book of Mars.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:42 am 

Nogrod wrote:I liked you when we were at the table with Frank at GaryCon. Now I think I want to kick you in the groin out of spite and jealousy :)

Hope I remember to wear a cup to Gen Con! :lol:  Maybe I can buy you some tarimisu on Wednesday and spare the boot!?  :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:01 pm 

-The Heritage Painting Guide for their Lord of the Rings minis. Now filed on my shelf next to the Heritage reprint of Wizards & Warfare, published at about the same time. Two completely different visions of Tolkien, but appearing to the consumer as a single product line. One is an unauthorized pastiche: Roharrin, Nazg, Huorns. The other part of a merchandising juggernaut too big to fail along with Bakshi's film. It didn't matter that the characters looked ridiculous. Aragorn should not look like Conan, & the Hobbits were just painful to behold. No matter, we would see their smiling faces a million times on coffee mugs & t-shirts & lead sculptures.

-Dice sold by Heritage in a Dungeon Dwellers blisterpack. This set offers the worst of both worlds - a '70s D20 numbered 0-9 twice, but un-inked like '80s dice. All for the astonishing Carter-era price of $3.95, or about 10 comic books in those days. The pack reminds me of something I once saw in an mom-&-pop toy store. A mangled pack of Dungeon Dwellers spiders was the last surviving D&D product on the shelf. The owner had once carried a bunch of it, but the fad had passed & his stock dwindled to the most unappealing product of all: expensive, fragile models you'd have to paint yourself, sold around much competition when it came to toy spiders. Apparently the guy never rotated his stock, as it was the sort of place that overflowed with merchandise, all sorts of crazy stuff. Just where you'd expect to find the forgotten talismans & tomes of the past lurking. The shop closed soon afterwards, the last trace of it as far as I know being the price tag on the item I was there to buy, the store's next-to-last D&D product: OD&D Gods, Demigods, & Heroes. I wonder what became of those spiders? Did they end up in a warehouse, estate sale, landfill? If anyone out there has an unopened blisterpack of Heritage Giant Spiders with a price tag from Briar Toys & Hobbies, plus at least a decade of shelf-wear from being mishandled by a legion of grubby-pawed children, you've got a true relic of the era.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:41 pm 

Someone got a FANTASTIC deal on this one

I had never seen this version before.
As ever, I was to late....  :roll:

Same seller has a few other interesting items (like a Don't give up the ship at $30 BIN)

Last edited by lokiwookie on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:50 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Someone got a FANTASTIC deal on this one

I had never see this version before.
As ever, I was to late....  :roll:

Same seller has a few other interesting items (like a Don't give up the ship at $30 BIN)

And a R'nokks Spellbooks for 30 too.. Someone grab it :-)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 45 of 74123 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 727374