The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 44 of 74123 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 727374
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:37 am 

vault keeper wrote:
Mars wrote:Space Infantry RPG
[ Image ]

Wow, Space infantry. Did you find it on ebay? I've never seen a copy around for sale and i am after it.

Agreed, sweet Space Infantry lot!  Did you manage to get extras of the playing aids and if so, any chance you'll be selling them?  I reached out many years agot to Hutto who resided in the Long Island or Westchester region of NY (actually his parents, he's a mathmatician last I knew living and working int he UK.)  They sold me some extras they had in their garage, didn't have play aids but did have character sheets in pad form.

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:11 pm 

Perhaps the BIG T&T collectors (whoever you are) can vouch for having stacks and stacks of first prints of them all, but...
The Buffalo Castle book I just aquired is the ONLY ... first print Solo Adventure book I have seen in person, much less owned.
(I have seen a VERY few copies (I think 2-3) sold on e-Bay, but never before have I seen a copy in person)
And that statement goes for first printings of all the other T&T Solos as well.
That is other than the signed limited edition Solo which had just the single printing, of which I must add I have only seen a few of those sold on e-Bay either.

And if you BIG T&T collectors out there truly do have stacks of first printings of all of the solo adventures, then perhaps you would be willing to part with some of those common easy to find and very cheap 1st prints you speak of to us lesser T&T fans.
At the least maybe you would post pictures so as to watch us drool and go green with collectors envy.[/quote from Gnat the Beggar]

well i finally got around to checking. i have 1st ed 1st prints of 6 of the 14 initial group of t&t modules: buffalo castle,dargon's dungeon,overkill,city terrors,sewers oblivion and sea of mystery. i have 1st ed 2nd prints of deathtrap equalizer,labyrinth,naked doom,beyond silvered pane,sword hire and arena of khazan. the other two (weirdworld & sorceror solitaire) i do not have 1st or 2nd prints of.   sorry by the way gnat, i do not have any doubles of these prints....

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:57 pm 

Actually, to determine the print is not so easy. Even in what we can think as 1st prints, there is few variations and to know which one cam first is not feasable.

I took a few pics of the first solo for Gnat. I should have few other prints in different T&T boxes, especially of Buffalo Castle. But I don't think any spare copy.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:24 pm 

i really don't know what you mean when you indicate we can't tell what is a 1st print (or 2nd print or whatever print). we tell from the copyright dates, and in most cases from the explicit refernce inside the book itself (buffalo castle 1st ed, 1st pr 1976 or 1st ed, 5th pr may 1978). infact i would say that along with steve jackson games, flying buffalo might be the best company about listing exactly what printing an item is.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:35 pm 

For example, Buffalo Castle, in my copies, there is no indication of prints before the 4th print. 1st to 3rd print are all from 1976 with slight differences. The 4th print is from Sept 1977. Perhaps I only have "1st prints" before my 4th print, but I doubt since I found minor differences between them.
The same for the 2nd and 3rd ed. rulebooks. There is several variations, especially in color's cover or in the mention of D&D or X instead, but nothing to say which came first. For example again, if you take the 3rd ed. The blue cover mentions D&D in the Troll Talk. The black cover mentions X. No other differences at all. Which came first? If you know it, I am very interested to know and to be able to differenciate prints.
It is the same for Dungeon of Bear. I have 2 copies that have the same copyright, but slightly differs. Nothing to identify the first one. They came in Black box set and all other books where the same.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:13 pm 

1) you are correct about buffalo castle-the 1st prints are side-stapled and probably indistinguishable.
2) we had a discussion here at the acaeum about this a while ago; memory fuzzy, but this is how i remember it: 2nd ed 1st pr side-stapled 2nd ed 2nd pr spiral bound 2nd ed 3rd pr (and later?) spine stapled with x instead of d&d. as regards 3rd editions d&d printings before x printings
3) and you are correct about dungeon of the bear. i too have printings listed where all i have down is 1978 Pr or 1979 Pr or 1981 Pr but,
4) all of the other 13 modules have distinct printings to be found.
5) thank you for replying to help jog my memory

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:19 am 

Thanks for the reply.

stratochamp wrote:2) we had a discussion here at the acaeum about this a while ago; memory fuzzy, but this is how i remember it: 2nd ed 1st pr side-stapled 2nd ed 2nd pr spiral bound 2nd ed 3rd pr (and later?) spine stapled with x instead of d&d. as regards 3rd editions d&d printings before x printings

I have a 2nd ed, spiral bound (so 2nd print?), with X instead of D&D (3rd print?).

Do you remember why they would had come back to D&D in the 1st prints of the 3rd ed. before using X again? This looks definitely strange for me and I can't find any reason.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:43 am 

I had some nice Cthulhu finds recently, best part it was local pick-up... shipping these books is a bear :)  I'll be reading all summer (but only with the lights on, lol)

And, also want to say Thanks! to TheHistorian for helping me research them.

Attachment:
DSCN3722.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:08 am 

That is a very nice lot. The Orient Express seems to be in awesome condition (still looking for a copy at a "non-insane" price)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:41 pm 

davidc wrote:I had some nice Cthulhu finds recently, best part it was local pick-up... shipping these books is a bear :)  I'll be reading all summer (but only with the lights on, lol). And, also want to say Thanks! to TheHistorian for helping me research them.

Nice looking lot.  ... be careful reading Lurking Fears - Triad Entertainment used really poor glue/binding on the spine, and pages come loose very easily.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:04 pm 

Ditto on the Orient Express box:  it's pretty flimsy....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:11 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I won this the other day.  It's in fairly good condition and is complete.  The inside books have staple rust, but otherwise have obviously never been used.

Why do you figure no one else bid?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:29 am 

FormCritic wrote:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I won this the other day.  It's in fairly good condition and is complete.  The inside books have staple rust, but otherwise have obviously never been used.

Why do you figure no one else bid?

Common enough and usually sell for about that amount or less.
Those listed at $75 belong in the silliest price thread.
Even those listed for $35 +/- are overpriced, unless mint in the SW.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:52 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Why do you figure no one else bid?

Because I already had that version.   :D

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:17 pm 

Gettin' my Liddil on...
Attachment:
DSCN4171.JPG

Had a few items arrive and had the camera out, thought I'd post a pic :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:19 am 

I hit Half Price Books in Tukwila, Seattle this week....on my way home from a gnarley certification test.

I bought a copy of the Avalon Hill Powers and Perils module, Tower of the Dead.   It was $14.99 for a copy in reasonably good condition.  

Now I can stop feeling guilty for the one I let get destroyed before I was a collector.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:45 pm 

A nice collection of Bob Liddil stuff - I think those Rider Fantasy Creations items are great stuff and maybe a little undervalued even for their rarity.  Demons and Notmen took me forever to get a copy.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am 

davidc wrote:Gettin' my Liddil on...

Very nice! Is it Christophe Dimensions and doors copy? I remember the cross on upper left corner.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 44 of 74123 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 727374