The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 37 of 74123 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 727374
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:15 am 

I wonder if this is the same Richard Scott from Otherworld Miniatures?  I'll post a Q to ask him :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:23 am 

Yes, it's me!  I wrote it with my friend Steve when we were still at school.  It was typed on an old, battered manual typewriter, reproduced on the photo-copier in the school office.  I did the lettering with letraset, and the cover artwork was 'heavily influenced' by a Frazetta art book I owned (and nothing to do with the adventure!).

I think we probably printed around 100, and mostly sold them to friends and through our local Games Shop in Plymouth.  We thought we were big-shot publishers when we sold 12 to Games Centre in London, but Games Workshop told us to bugger off.  

I haven't seen a copy for a long time, and have often regretted not keeping one.  If you would be kind enough to make me a copy, I would be very grateful, and that's with the author's permission of course!

Thanks for posting it.  It brought a smile to my face on a grey January morning!

Otherworld Miniatures Webshop - http://www.otherworld.me.uk/store.html

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:45 am 

:D
Great story !

The module looks very nice !

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 am 

The internet is an ocean with many strange shores.  It's amazing the connections that voyagers can make.  

Otherworld makes a module in high school.  It comes back on the tide decades later.  Very cool.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Yes, Mage sold for very cheap (not me, I already own it, but was really tempted to bid more than my 6£...). Astonishing!

So, Ebay for this one (there is the link for the auction in the name of the module). Not for $10, but a pretty good price considering the rarity  :D
(I'll make pics of another that I got for an excellent price soon :))

In addition to the adventure itself, there is 2 new monsters (dramite, a deep-one like; and Giant Burrower, a worm-like with 2 gigantic poisonous fangs) with D&D stats. I have to read the adventure.

Hey loki, i was pretty sure you were the guy with the highest bid... my apologies if i raised the price so much but i was extremely interested as well! You'd otherwise have won it for less than 10 pounds...

I won the mage booklet but it is really a pain in the a** all those blank pages: this copy had a printing error and almost 10 page here and there in book are totally white... i must admit that i need another copy... :D

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:47 am 

Pretty amazing to recall that publication all these years later. Actually, we are still waiting for Games Centre to pay us. They went bust within a couple of weeks of taking it...

Dim and distant D & D player

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:17 am 

Otherotherworld wrote:Actually, we are still waiting for Games Centre to pay us. They went bust within a couple of weeks of taking it...

I knew they were taking a big risk ordering 12!   :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:57 am 

otherworld wrote:Yes, it's me!  I wrote it with my friend Steve when we were still at school.  It was typed on an old, battered manual typewriter, reproduced on the photo-copier in the school office.  I did the lettering with letraset, and the cover artwork was 'heavily influenced' by a Frazetta art book I owned (and nothing to do with the adventure!).

*g* Be sure your past will come back to haunt you? Sweet... :)

otherworld wrote:I think we probably printed around 100, and mostly sold them to friends and through our local Games Shop in Plymouth.  We thought we were big-shot publishers when we sold 12 to Games Centre in London, but Games Workshop told us to bugger off.

100 /was/ a pretty decent print run - I had a feeling those were probably mostly sold locally: thanks for the confirmation.
(Actually /sold/, too, eh? Not bad ^^ )

otherworld wrote:I haven't seen a copy for a long time, and have often regretted not keeping one.  If you would be kind enough to make me a copy, I would be very grateful, and that's with the author's permission of course!

:lol:

[inserts obvious question] What's the likelihood of a reprint...? ;)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:07 am 

faro wrote:What's the likelihood of a reprint...? ;)

Not much, I wouldn't want to devalue LokiWookie's investment!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:18 am 

otherworld wrote:Yes, it's me!  I wrote it with my friend Steve when we were still at school.  It was typed on an old, battered manual typewriter, reproduced on the photo-copier in the school office.  I did the lettering with letraset, and the cover artwork was 'heavily influenced' by a Frazetta art book I owned (and nothing to do with the adventure!).

I think we probably printed around 100, and mostly sold them to friends and through our local Games Shop in Plymouth.  We thought we were big-shot publishers when we sold 12 to Games Centre in London, but Games Workshop told us to bugger off.  

Awesome! 100 copies was a great sale for so "small-press". I'm glad to recall some memories :)

So you did the artwork? RIS for RIchard Scott btw.
Speaking about artwork, I am wondering why there is a soldier (?) shooting with an assault rifle and with some missiles in the background, on the copyright page?  :lol: I'm not sure he would be a NPC...

otherworld wrote:I haven't seen a copy for a long time, and have often regretted not keeping one.  If you would be kind enough to make me a copy, I would be very grateful, and that's with the author's permission of course!

Sure, my pleasure. I will make photocopies and ship it. Just PM me your adress.

faro wrote:*nods* 1/2 page review - generally OKish disagreeing that it's easy to change to any other system, a bit too easy (but easily upgradeable) and a bit thin for the price (presumably meaning £1 rather than £30+ ;))

Considering the print run, I am not so unhappy for the price :)

And BTW, @Aia: shame on you!!!  :twisted:
sorry to have increased the price on Mage too... Nice win! Even with these blank pages, I guess it is a very decent price.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Last edited by lokiwookie on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:18 am 

otherworld wrote:
Not much, I wouldn't want to devalue LokiWookie's investment!

Reprints would increase the value of the originals, not decrease.
For one thing, reprints put the items that are VERY rare back into the light.
I never knew it existed at all and I like collecting stuff.
Others here also did not know of it.

The more collectors know of items such as this the more likely the fight gets rougher in auctions for one if another comes up.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:23 am 

beasterbrook wrote:Look like a review in DragonLords 19
http://rpggeek.com/rpgissue/83527/dragonlords-issue-19

Is it the same? "Lair of the Scarlet Elite by Matt Quartermain"??

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:28 am 

What about an NTRPGCon style digest reprint?
Or a limited edition photocopy like Thork' did with his G Series prepubs?
If Loki and Otherworld are willing, I'd welcome the chance to read this.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:30 am 

Should be...

"Review: Lair of the Scarlet Elite" by Matt Quartermain

Dim and distant D & D player

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:40 am 

I have to say that I am not against a reprint (with Richard and Steven agreements). I think that everyone should have the chance to read it.

However, if possible, a  reprint slightly different than the original. Just to keep some interest in the original copy  :roll:
A limited signed and numbered reprint, why not?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:53 am 

lokiwookie wrote:However, if possible, a  reprint slightly different than the original. Just to keep some interest in the original copy  :roll:
A limited signed and numbered reprint, why not?

Then maybe typeset it in Word, redraw the maps in a graphics package, and we go for the first European Acaeum digest reprint? I'm up for drawing the maps and proofreading. Sure someone here has expertise in typesetting and there's bound to be the ability to print over here. Just need a little BW artwork reminiscent of the original.
Would be nice to contribute some European flavour to Acaeum projects that have got off the ground, and I'm sure Doug and Mike, or Malc could shift the overstock at Cons.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:57 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:What about an NTRPGCon style digest reprint?
Or a limited edition photocopy like Thork' did with his G Series prepubs?
If Loki and Otherworld are willing, I'd welcome the chance to read this.

And I'd be happy to help publish it (surprise, surprise ;) ), if Richard wants a partner :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:23 am 

Great find!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 37 of 74123 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 727374