The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 36 of 74123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 727374
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 am 

I received a dungeon module that I had never seen before: The Lair of the Scarlet Elite, from Gas Spore Publications (UK publication), 1982. I cannot find any info on it. It is not listed on ToT nor Afterglow.

Anyone?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:19 am 

You da man! Where do you get these things?  :mrgreen:
Now you'll be telling us you got it for $10.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:38 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Now you'll be telling us you got it for $10.

No; but the copy of Mage was. ;)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 am 

Yes, Mage sold for very cheap (not me, I already own it, but was really tempted to bid more than my 6£...). Astonishing!

So, Ebay for this one (there is the link for the auction in the name of the module). Not for $10, but a pretty good price considering the rarity  :D
(I'll make pics of another that I got for an excellent price soon :))

In addition to the adventure itself, there is 2 new monsters (dramite, a deep-one like; and Giant Burrower, a worm-like with 2 gigantic poisonous fangs) with D&D stats. I have to read the adventure.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 pm 

Given that it's from a "Gas Spore Publications" is there any chance that it's from some of the same folks who produced or wrote for the Beholder fanzine?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:12 pm 

I have no Beholder fanzine to check mailing adress. The one on this module is:
Gas Spore Publications
C/o St. John's
East Looe
PL13 IDE
Phone: LOOE 2301

And it has been changed (handwritten) to:
Courtney Mill
Station Road
Menheniot
Cornwall

Authors are Richard Scott and Steven High

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:41 pm 

Look like a review in DragonLords 19
http://rpggeek.com/rpgissue/83527/dragonlords-issue-19

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:58 am 

*nods* 1/2 page review - generally OKish disagreeing that it's easy to change to any other system, a bit too easy (but easily upgradeable) and a bit thin for the price (presumably meaning £1 rather than £30+ ;))

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:15 am 

I wonder if this is the same Richard Scott from Otherworld Miniatures?  I'll post a Q to ask him :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:23 am 

Yes, it's me!  I wrote it with my friend Steve when we were still at school.  It was typed on an old, battered manual typewriter, reproduced on the photo-copier in the school office.  I did the lettering with letraset, and the cover artwork was 'heavily influenced' by a Frazetta art book I owned (and nothing to do with the adventure!).

I think we probably printed around 100, and mostly sold them to friends and through our local Games Shop in Plymouth.  We thought we were big-shot publishers when we sold 12 to Games Centre in London, but Games Workshop told us to bugger off.  

I haven't seen a copy for a long time, and have often regretted not keeping one.  If you would be kind enough to make me a copy, I would be very grateful, and that's with the author's permission of course!

Thanks for posting it.  It brought a smile to my face on a grey January morning!

Otherworld Miniatures Webshop - http://www.otherworld.me.uk/store.html

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:45 am 

:D
Great story !

The module looks very nice !

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 am 

The internet is an ocean with many strange shores.  It's amazing the connections that voyagers can make.  

Otherworld makes a module in high school.  It comes back on the tide decades later.  Very cool.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Yes, Mage sold for very cheap (not me, I already own it, but was really tempted to bid more than my 6£...). Astonishing!

So, Ebay for this one (there is the link for the auction in the name of the module). Not for $10, but a pretty good price considering the rarity  :D
(I'll make pics of another that I got for an excellent price soon :))

In addition to the adventure itself, there is 2 new monsters (dramite, a deep-one like; and Giant Burrower, a worm-like with 2 gigantic poisonous fangs) with D&D stats. I have to read the adventure.

Hey loki, i was pretty sure you were the guy with the highest bid... my apologies if i raised the price so much but i was extremely interested as well! You'd otherwise have won it for less than 10 pounds...

I won the mage booklet but it is really a pain in the a** all those blank pages: this copy had a printing error and almost 10 page here and there in book are totally white... i must admit that i need another copy... :D

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:47 am 

Pretty amazing to recall that publication all these years later. Actually, we are still waiting for Games Centre to pay us. They went bust within a couple of weeks of taking it...

Dim and distant D & D player

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:17 am 

Otherotherworld wrote:Actually, we are still waiting for Games Centre to pay us. They went bust within a couple of weeks of taking it...

I knew they were taking a big risk ordering 12!   :lol:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:57 am 

otherworld wrote:Yes, it's me!  I wrote it with my friend Steve when we were still at school.  It was typed on an old, battered manual typewriter, reproduced on the photo-copier in the school office.  I did the lettering with letraset, and the cover artwork was 'heavily influenced' by a Frazetta art book I owned (and nothing to do with the adventure!).

*g* Be sure your past will come back to haunt you? Sweet... :)

otherworld wrote:I think we probably printed around 100, and mostly sold them to friends and through our local Games Shop in Plymouth.  We thought we were big-shot publishers when we sold 12 to Games Centre in London, but Games Workshop told us to bugger off.

100 /was/ a pretty decent print run - I had a feeling those were probably mostly sold locally: thanks for the confirmation.
(Actually /sold/, too, eh? Not bad ^^ )

otherworld wrote:I haven't seen a copy for a long time, and have often regretted not keeping one.  If you would be kind enough to make me a copy, I would be very grateful, and that's with the author's permission of course!

:lol:

[inserts obvious question] What's the likelihood of a reprint...? ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:07 am 

faro wrote:What's the likelihood of a reprint...? ;)

Not much, I wouldn't want to devalue LokiWookie's investment!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:18 am 

otherworld wrote:Yes, it's me!  I wrote it with my friend Steve when we were still at school.  It was typed on an old, battered manual typewriter, reproduced on the photo-copier in the school office.  I did the lettering with letraset, and the cover artwork was 'heavily influenced' by a Frazetta art book I owned (and nothing to do with the adventure!).

I think we probably printed around 100, and mostly sold them to friends and through our local Games Shop in Plymouth.  We thought we were big-shot publishers when we sold 12 to Games Centre in London, but Games Workshop told us to bugger off.  

Awesome! 100 copies was a great sale for so "small-press". I'm glad to recall some memories :)

So you did the artwork? RIS for RIchard Scott btw.
Speaking about artwork, I am wondering why there is a soldier (?) shooting with an assault rifle and with some missiles in the background, on the copyright page?  :lol: I'm not sure he would be a NPC...

otherworld wrote:I haven't seen a copy for a long time, and have often regretted not keeping one.  If you would be kind enough to make me a copy, I would be very grateful, and that's with the author's permission of course!

Sure, my pleasure. I will make photocopies and ship it. Just PM me your adress.

faro wrote:*nods* 1/2 page review - generally OKish disagreeing that it's easy to change to any other system, a bit too easy (but easily upgradeable) and a bit thin for the price (presumably meaning £1 rather than £30+ ;))

Considering the print run, I am not so unhappy for the price :)

And BTW, @Aia: shame on you!!!  :twisted:
sorry to have increased the price on Mage too... Nice win! Even with these blank pages, I guess it is a very decent price.

Last edited by lokiwookie on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 36 of 74123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 727374