The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 31 of 74123 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 727374
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:24 am 

Good luck to you Rhynne... be sure to ask about the basement - word of caution: I arrived mid week and was told to come back on the weekend when he had more helpers... but I got the feeling if I showed up on Saturday, he'd tell me to come back when he wasn't so busy  :x

(He's not the first game store to tease me that way!)

Again though, good luck and let us know how you make out :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:47 am 

davidc wrote:A good old fashioned fun find... I was on a road trip to Ottawa and found these in the local old-time game store (dating back to the early 80s at least!)... a small-press Canadian D20 adventure - I love the Maple Leaf on the back cover, not enough of those in our hobby :)

Is it a good adventure?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:54 am 

lokiwookie wrote:
Is it a good adventure?

I was trying to work thru it last night, it's basically a lonnng underground crawl, with the spaces between encounter areas not mapped, but a series of mapped sections which make for small areas for exploration/combat/reward at regular intervals.  The writing is average I suppose, the best old-school art is on the cover :)

The thing that struck me most, it's clearly not mass-produced formula writing, I think this probably begun as the author's home campaign & developed through play in his local group.  I could feel the 'love'. I like product like that :)

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:57 am 

You're a good seller David ;)

Do you have a lot of small press D20 modules like this one? I was tempted to start collecting those modules, but finally I changed my mind (already too much stuff to collect by limiting my collection to 70-80's non-TSR items).

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:02 am 

Ha, I've been dabbling mostly by picking up old stock at the FLGSs around Ontario... I've been looking out for the smaller press D20 items for a little while and the prices are usually low.   There's a lot of drek, but it doesn't break the bank and I like the more obscure scenerios :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:32 pm 

I don't usually gamble on lots without asking a question, but I figured someone's saved search would go off if I waited...

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Ars Magica goodness!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:46 pm 

That's a lot of Torg to get Bats of Mercille.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:07 pm 

Whatever I sell the excess for just lowers the cost of BoM...

Let's see, 7 other Ars books I needed anyway is, let's say, $35.  So even if the rest don't do better than the recycling bin, that's $65 for BoM.  I think I'd happily pay that!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:48 pm 

Bats of Mercille  :!:  Great!

I don't understand why my auto-searches did not spot it :/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:54 pm 

It does include a copy of The World of Synnibarr!  I think you can get your money back on the lot but it will take some work and time.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:02 pm 

Mars wrote:It does include a copy of The World of Synnibarr!

And it's signed!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:14 am 

But it says it's just the maps for Bats of Mercille---that's a pretty big risk!  If the actual adventure is included, I'll be curious to hear if it's the 2nd or 1st printing (my copy's a 2nd, haven't seen a 1st :D ).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:11 am 

Right, that was the gamble... but it's complete and unused in the original bag.  Almost the entire lot was new old stock and thus untouched.  I probably wouldn't have posted otherwise.  :wink:

It's the 1989 (2nd) edition.  Interesting that it notes the print run of the 1st edition was 100 but doesn't specify the print run for the 2nd.  I wonder what it was.  I can't imagine it was more than a couple hundred.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:05 pm 

grodog wrote:But it says it's just the maps for Bats of Mercille---that's a pretty big risk!  If the actual adventure is included, I'll be curious to hear if it's the 2nd or 1st printing (my copy's a 2nd, haven't seen a 1st :D ).

I haven't taken a look at much of the Ars Magica stuff I have accumulated over the years, but this got me wondering.  My copy of The Bats of Mercille consists solely of loose-leaf, single-sided pages:

One goldenrod page titled "Story Briefing:  The Bats of Mercille"
One goldenrod page captioned "Jump-Start Kit"
Eight numbered white pages of the adventure
One white page titled "Magic Briefing"
One goldenrod page titled "Basic Briefing" (actually includes two copies)
One goldenrod page titled "Combat Briefing" (actually includes two copies)
Ten white pages of character sheets (including two grimoires)

I don't see a copyright date anywhere.

My guess is I must have picked this up at Gen Con directly from the Lion Rampant booth years ago.  Is this a first printing or something else?

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:58 pm 

echoing bracton, is there any way to tell the difference between printings from just the first or last pages? mine is still sealed in the bag by a sticker that says "Gamers Choice Awards of 1988 Best FRPG Ars Magica", so i'm loath to remove it to check the contents. i'm sure i picked this up at gencon, undoubtedly with bracton, and if i had seen it in 1988, i would have bought it in 1988, but the wording on the sticker would obviously argue for 1989....

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:28 pm 

I've rechecked, and see neither a date nor a reference to edition.  Given that I have never played it, I'm surprised that I don't have the original bag if it came in one.  Though, unlike stratochamp, there is in fact a possibility -- avert your eyes, smarmy -- that I did open it up and take a look.

We'll have to compare the first and last pages, Bill, to see if they look the same.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:38 pm 

Bracton wrote: -- avert your eyes, smarmy -- that I did open it up and take a look.

I felt it!  8O

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:39 pm 

What Bracton has described must be the 1988 edition, because the 8 pages of  adventure in the 1989 edition are staple-bound.

There is a copyright 1989 at the lower left of the front cover of that edition, and a big "The 1989 Convention Exclusive!" behind the award sticker.  See here:  http://www.ars-magica.net/index.php?id=63&L=1#1779

I'd love to see a picture of the 1988 version - there is no picture online, as far as I know.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 31 of 74123 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 727374