The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 27 of 74123 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 727374
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:42 pm 

faro wrote:It was, at least in some, but may have been included elsewhere, too. Tim Kask's review copy had a pink card. If you know there's a red sticker on the bag, the mailing card - if present - probably won't be pink since the earliest bags didn't have those red stickers. Confusing, eh?

That is good information.
The page is a bit vague about that item and the Subscription Card too.
Does Shane know about Tim's Review Copy?
If not that info would help if placed on that items page.

This Package actually does have that mail in card; though I do not know if it is pink, or white yet.
The Seller called it "Booty List" in the description.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:19 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Does Shane know about Tim's Review Copy?

Should do, I think, since the scan was sent to Shane at the same time as Tim's batch of sales.

Gnat the Beggar wrote:This Package actually does have that mail in card; though I do not know if it is pink, or white yet.

Or, indeed, yellow - albeit also with unstickered bags for those seen thus far. ;)

Agreed re. rarity, personally/02c: even allowing for Frankensteining the components the same would apply to the Tac Cards.

==

Hmm... did someone just "end early" the Monsters! Monsters! from the same seller? Not a 1st print, despite the auction listing.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:12 pm 

Davidc, please let us know if "Seren ironhand" is so good an adventure as they say (as it is rumored to be, i mean)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 pm 

vault keeper wrote:Davidc, please let us know if "Seren ironhand" is so good an adventure as they say (as it is rumored to be, i mean)

IMO, it's a good adventure, but not rising to the point of legendary or even way above average. Just a nice old-school type adventure in an interesting locale.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:22 pm 

Badmike wrote:IMO, it's a good adventure, but not rising to the point of legendary or even way above average. Just a nice old-school type adventure in an interesting locale.

Its in the same category of quality as most Necromancer Games stuff.  A good adventure, above average but as Mike said, nothing legendary.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:45 am 

I received the Master game boards from Avar Products. It was the 1st time I had seen it. I bought few years ago the Player boards from Mars, and I was thinking only this exists, no GM board. I am surprised by the difference in size.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:48 pm 

Wow, those are new-to-me, nice find :)  

I'm curious about the boards - Are they simple dry-erase boards?  Would you be able to post a pic of one of the boards?

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:32 pm 

Actually, they are in shrink. But there is a picture in the auction.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

The picture shows an opened box, and I received a sealed one. Perhaps the seller have other for sale, if you want to contact him.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:54 pm 

I took the family on a trip to Bellingham, WA this week.  My son was visiting the campus of Western Washington University.  He was busy all day, but we had a lot of time to drive around Bellingham while he was at WWU.

One of the interesting things about game stores here in the Pacific Northwest is that Seattle and Portland may have lost almost all their brick and mortar stores, but small towns often still have multiple shops.  (Salem, Oregon, for instance, has a thriving brick and mortar store selection.)

Bellingham had something I did not expect:  A surviving branch of American Eagle.  The shop is in downtown Bellingham and I believe it has shortened its name to just Eagle, but it has survived.  The woman behind the counter told me the owner was a friend of the American Eagle guys back in the day and used the name and matched much of the same merchandise even though they were separate operations.

Like the other, now-closed, branches of American Eagle, the Bellingham store has a heavy dose of military models and items for tabletop wargaming.  Game stores that intend to stay in business sell miniatures for fantasy wargames like Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000 and Warmachine, as well as CCG items.  A lot of the military models looked like they had been on the shelf since 1980...a bad sign for store owners but practically blood in the water for a collector.

There was a small, surviving RPG section, including a copy of the Necromancer Player's Guide to the Wilderlands still new and shiny on the shelf.  (It's still there...I bought a copy for $3 on Ebay back when nobody wanted them.  Anybody who wants it can go get it.)

At American Eagle, I bought old gaming magazines for 25 cents each.  I got four issues of Future Wars, a fanzine for Battletech, and issue #26 of The Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society.  Does anyone here know about Future Wars?  They were cheap and they looked really old-school cool.

My wife and I also bought sets of dice for $3.85 each.  The price was probably from more than 10 years ago, sitting around until we bought them.  (Did I mention that my wife is a gamer...and she's really hot?)

We travelled around to the other two or three game stores in Bellingham, but it was the used book stores that proved most interesting.  Bellingham has a number of excellent stores with bookshelf mazes spread over multiple rooms.

One of the downtown bookstores had a shelf devoted to RPG's that was at least as large as a Half Price Books store.  I snagged a $1 copy of The Blade of Allectus, a module for DragonQuest, and a $1 copy of Trial By Fire, by Atlas Games, for Ars Magica.

I passed up a number of publications by Bard Games because they were duplicates and I was keeping my budget down. (I will be back there next month, so maybe they'll still be on the shelf.) Then I stumbled upon two copies of the character sheet book for Ralph Bakshi's WIZARDS RPG, by Whit Publications.  They were $4.25 and I snagged both of them.

If you fancy a road trip to the Canadian border, Bellingham appears to be worth your time for a family visit.  The downtown area is cool.  It is isolated from the strip mall corridors that angle out from it north and east.  Parking was cheap, but the local cops enforce it pretty hard.

Anyway...there it is in case you pass that way.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:35 pm 

Years ago, when I lived in Vancouver, I used to stop in Bellingham, Lynnwood, and Bellevue on weekend trips. They all had game stores where finds could be made.

I remember getting mono covers of a bunch of D&D modules for $2-3 apiece.

There are a couple of good bookstores in Seattle as well. One bookstore, in a house, often had great items.

Not sure if any of them are still around and I can't recall the names, but a phone book search might turn up some gold.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:52 pm 

If you knew a game store in Seattle you can pretty much count on it being dead and gone.

Wonderworld Books, in Burien, bought up the stock of the stores as they went out of business, one by one.

Then Wonderworld closed its storefront and is now an Ebay seller.  Wonderworld has a huge warehouse stock...all of it waiting to be listed and generally for cover price and higher.  At the present rate they are listing items they should be done selling their warehouse stock in roughly 2800 AD.

Gary's, in Greenlake, is still open as well.  Pretty much all others...gone.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:02 pm 

Is Gary's in a strip mall?

I may have gone there.

The book store in a house would be hard for you to forget as well.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:35 am 

FormCritic wrote:Like the other, now-closed, branches of American Eagle, the Bellingham store has a heavy dose of military models and items for tabletop wargaming.

These places are where I remember discovering RPGs. There's one here in Austin called King's Hobby with the full monty of railroad models. I attended a rail hobbyist's demo there over a decade ago - everyone else was over 70 at least, I guess they're mostly gone now. The rail section is still there, although apparently the craze now is for large-scale outdoor slot cars. They keep their RPG section stocked with plenty of old-school stuff, right next to the model rockets.

The Village Hobby Shop closed a few years ago after the owner died of old age. That place was truly a museum, with the closest they came to RPGs being large paintable lead figures of barbarians & maidens. Shelves overflowed with every dusty & forgotten leisure pursuit of the last fifty years - model ships with rigging & cloth sails, forgotten sci-fi properties, Testor paint & balsa wood for every need, & most importantly, a thorough documenting of all NASA's efforts. Probably just as well the dude did not live to see the shuttle retirement.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:16 am 

I don't know about the price, but this is the first of these I have seen... I think someone got a fun find!

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Tower of Elbrith - solitaire adventure by Attack International Wargaming

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:32 am 

Nice find for someone. Hope it went to someone we know.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:49 pm 

Excellent price - very difficult to find.  I have seen (or know of) only about 4-6 copies.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:55 pm 

First one I've ever seen.  Didnt know it was a solitaire adventure either.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:23 pm 

Missed these posts somehow. :)
Not the rarest item that went cheaply there...

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 27 of 74123 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 727374