The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 18 of 74123 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 727374
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:29 pm 

Not really D&D or directly RPG-related, but my wife was able to hunt down a copy of the Dark World board game expansion Dragon's Gate. It was 100% complete and almost in extremely fine condition (only a little wear on the box.) That leaves one expansion left to get and then hopefully onto the Battle Masters Europe-only stuff.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:15 pm 

I've been saving up some items to post a few really cool pics.  There are still a few items out there in the postal system, but I can't wait any longer!  A few people know of some of these finds, but I don't think any knew about my finding all of them. In any event, it has been a successful couple months.

First up, some good ole non-TSR gems.

Different Worlds is a full run.  TS! is 1, 3, 6, and 7.  Massconfusion does lack Dungeon Of Dr. Demento.  There is a better picture of the dice wheel in the Complete thread.  And the Beastmaker Mountain is even nicer than I thought it would be.

And some stuff for other games:

CoC is 1E2p and 2E.  Justice Inc and Espionage aren't necessarily THAT interesting, but they were each SW and under ten bucks.

A few stats, for fun:

Most expensive single item - Beastmaker Mountain
Most expensive group - Different Worlds set
Best deal - hard to say, probably the Dragonbone
Best surprise - Casalana is complete with the color map, even though it was noted as not having it
Number of items in shrink - 4
Number of items still in shrink - 2
Countries purchased from - 5 (US, Canada, UK, Australia, Germany)

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:28 pm 

Hawkmoon monograph!  Niiiice!

I also like the Mad Moon module.  When does she moon us?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:49 pm 

Wow! Color me envious of the Cthulhu boxed sets and the Different Worlds magazines!

If I had one of those 1st ed CoC boxes, I wouldn't need to ask so many questions! :)

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:22 pm 

Impressive! Bad Moon is perhaps the rarest item in these lots. Very nice.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:28 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Impressive! Bad Moon is perhaps the rarest item in these lots. Very nice.

I was going to ask about that one... I haven't seen it before.  Who is the publisher?

Thanks for posting the pics, very nice :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 pm 

Awesome stuff.  Really like the Dragonbone and Pandora's Dice Wheel.

FormCritic wrote:Hawkmoon monograph! Niiiice!

Is there something special about this particular monograph that sets it apart from the others?  Or are you just crazy for Dorian Hawkmoon?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:49 pm 

davidc wrote:
I was going to ask about that one... I haven't seen it before.  Who is the publisher?

Thanks for posting the pics, very nice :)

You should really spend some time on this site:

http://www.afterglow2.com/

You might hate yourself afterwards though.  I never cared about non-TSR stuff until someone pointed it out to me.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Impressive! Bad Moon is perhaps the rarest item in these lots. Very nice.

Interesting.  It doesn't come up often, but I wouldn't say it's the rarest.  That copy came from a seller in the US... and since it's such a tough search term, pretty much everyone else must have missed it.  I certainly didn't pay much.  :)

davidc wrote:I was going to ask about that one... I haven't seen it before.  Who is the publisher?

It's Aussie, so Brette has the best info: http://www.arielarchives.com/BadMoon.html

The publisher is Conflict Simulations.  They also published the magazine Breakout!

Kingofpain89 wrote:Is there something special about this particular monograph that sets it apart from the others?  Or are you just crazy for Dorian Hawkmoon?

I can't speak to anyone's craziness (except my own), but I do know that all four of the Elric/Stormbringer/Hawkmoon monographs were short printed, even by Chaosium monograph standards, just before Chaosium lost that license, and thus they're tough to find.  I think monographs are printed in batches of 150 or 250, so that's probably how many there are of each.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:21 am 

TheHistorian wrote:It doesn't come up often, but I wouldn't say it's the rarest.

Actually, I saw only one copy for sale on ebay these 5 last years, before yours. So I guess it is pretty hard to find. I am still looking for a copy :(

TheHistorian wrote:I think monographs are printed in batches of 150 or 250, so that's probably how many there are of each.

Interesting. When was it released?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:40 am 

Does the Dragonbone actually work?

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:42 am 

I'd say Mindbane was harder to get ahold of than Bad Moon, but they both have only been on eBay maybe once in the past five years.

Is Dungeon of Dr. Demento in that set? It seems to be the rarest of the Massconfusion tourneys, and again, I've only known it to appear on eBay maybe twice in the last seven years.

One day, if I have both the time and my harddrive archives, I will do a long overdue update to Afterglow2.com, but don't hold your breath. I've been collecting data and pictures to fill in the blanks, but I've always been snowed under with other things.

You're building quite a collection, Steve. Good that you've got those two Australian rares.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:45 am 

lokiwookie wrote:Actually, I saw only one copy for sale on ebay these 5 last years, before yours. So I guess it is pretty hard to find. I am still looking for a copy :(

Hmm, you may be right, but I would have picked Hogwash 2, the Dragonbone, or Mindbane.

lokiwookie wrote:Interesting. When was it released?

Quite recently, actually.  Hawkmoon is 2006, and the other Moorcock related monographs are in the 2004-2007 range.  This is according to rpg.net, but I think they're probably about right in this case.

simrion wrote:Does the Dragonbone actually work?

Yep, that one works great.  The other version I have (the earlier one that looks vaguely more like a bone) doesn't work as well.  The "roll" button sticks.  I can't tell if something broke off at some point or if it's just the design.  I'd have to see another one to be sure, I guess.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:00 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Awesome stuff.  Really like the Dragonbone and Pandora's Dice Wheel.

Is there something special about this particular monograph that sets it apart from the others?  Or are you just crazy for Dorian Hawkmoon?

I am a collector of the Elric/Stormbringer line.

That particular monograph is gone and is not coming back.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:16 am 

Hi,

Hogwash 3 on Ebay atm :)

Cheers,
Malc

I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:50 pm 

lawrenson wrote:
Hogwash 3 on Ebay atm :)

Where were you a couple weeks ago?   :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:00 am 

Very nice items Historian.

Cool Cthulhu finds.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm 

I could not believe my half-hearted bid won this item.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I only bid to keep track and on the WAY OFF chance that no one else saw this listed, or those that did were not really wanting it.

Also purchased another item from the same seller.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I had been looking for and bidding on them for years, and I think this one ws obtained at a decent price.

I was fully expecting to loose this item as my high bid was barely over the final price.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 18 of 74123 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 727374