The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 17 of 74123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 727374
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:00 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

I played the crap out of this game....solo.

I simplified the movement rules just a bit and I made races last only two laps...with 10 teams entered in each race.

Then, I made a house rule that every charioteer must drive the heavy chariot with the spiked wheels.

And...every charioteer must make every possible attack.

Then roll dice!

I gave every charioteer in each faction a name....

....and I kept stats on how many races a character survived and/or won, with stats for wrecks and kills on rival characters and how many horses he lost and/or killed.

I decided that 10 races constituted a successful career and a driver was allowed to retire as either a champion or a veteran, depending on whether or not he had won any of his races.

I remember...Gladius of Kos, of the Green faction, died in his 10th race due to an unlikely crash on the last lap.  He was forced to run over a crashed chariot and got dragged by his leather straps.  It was very sad.

A dude named Pale Rider, of the White faction, was the first to survive all ten races, followed by Grand Champion Flavious Luminous of the Red Faction.

I still consider getting Circus Maximus out again and giving it another go.   :D

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:15 am 

Circus Maximus is now a con game at NTRPG con, with a giant sized board and elimination rounds this year....you need to make it out this way someday!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:22 am 

Badmike wrote:Circus Maximus is now a con game at NTRPG con, with a giant sized board and elimination rounds this year....you need to make it out this way someday!

Mike B.

Yep, as I stated above, that NTRPGCON Circus Maximus game is the only reason I bid on this box set.
Colton and I had a lot of fun playing the game against Tim Kask and others.
Until then, we had never played it.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:03 am 

SimperingToad wrote:A scanner and printer are your friends.  :D

My thoughts exactly. I just scan them, print them, and then use some spray clue and attach the paper to some thin board (i.e. from the back of a note pad), then cut them out - it works great!

Thus, keeping the unpunched sheets unpunched!  :wink:

Eulaliaaa!!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:28 pm 

I concur on the spray glue with color copies. I use comic book backing boards, and a paper cutter to slice them up. Been using the same can of 3M aerosol over a dozen years for unpunched games I want to play, although you've got to keep the nozzle from plugging up after each time it's used. I do however find that some color copies don't have the resolution necessary to legibly reproduce the fine print.

Last edited by sauromatian on Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:31 pm 

Have I ever said that I Love this place?

Thank you for all the great ideas folks!

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:20 pm 

sauromatian wrote:I concur on the spray glue with color copies. I use comic book backing boards, and a paper cutter to slice them up. Been using the same can of 3M aerosol over a dozen years for unpunched games I want to play, although you've got to keep the nozzle from plugging up after each time it's used. I do however find that some color copies don't have the resolution necessary to legibly reproduce the fine print.

Best way to help keep the spray adhesive can free of clogs is to hold it upside down and spray until nothing comes out but the propellant.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:44 pm 

I wouldn't have bought these off ebay, given their going rate, but I was very glad to have spotted them at the local flgs - basically new old-stock, .. even happier when I returned for their annual rpg sale and got them for $50!  I've always considered myself just a casual CoC collector, but am finding I enjoy the line more and more :)

Thanks to Historian and Jason W for helping me price these.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:24 pm 

NICE FINDS!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:31 pm 

Nice.  That's definitely a good deal!  Countdown is just a pain to get - too much good reputation so it is hard to pry out of owners' hands (all deserved though).

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:49 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:Nice.  That's definitely a good deal!  Countdown is just a pain to get - too much good reputation so it is hard to pry out of owners' hands (all deserved though).

Isn't Countdown also a huge book. 400+ pages?

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:53 pm 

Countdown isn't as thick as the main DG book, IIRC about half as big or a little more. I got rid of mine when I realized that eventually my boys would pick it up and read it. The chapter about the Skoptsi (sp?; if you don't know you don't wanna know) curdled my blood, so I figured it might be psychologically damaging to a pubescent male.. I think I got rid of my Anarchist's Cookbook about the same time, for similar reasons :).

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:00 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote: I think I got rid of my Anarchist's Cookbook about the same time, for similar reasons :).

:lol: ... yeah I had one of those a long time ago.
That is a VERY Dangerous book for weak minds. 8O

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:13 pm 

You don't have to tell me that. I don't know about weak-mindedness, but I definitely fell prey to curiosity. Let's just say that I can attest to the fact that a few of the recipes (the ones I tried) actually work, and leave it at that. This was all back in the '80s, of course.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:45 pm 

In my youth I represented the weak minds set.
And yes, the books recipes (like you... the ones I tried) do indeed work.

Still have a weak mind, but dont mess around with simply dangerous, stupid ideas as often. 8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:03 am 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:Countdown isn't as thick as the main DG book, IIRC about half as big or a little more.

Actually Countdown is larger than the main Delta Green book.  Over 400 pages compared to the main books 300.

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:The chapter about the Skoptsi (sp?; if you don't know you don't wanna know) curdled my blood

I dont think it is nearly as "blood-curdling" as the chapter that covers The Disciples of the Worm in the DG Targets of Opportunity sourcebook.  :puker:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Last edited by Kingofpain89 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:07 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Actually Countdown is larger than the main Delta Green book.  Over 400 pages compared to the main books 300.

Ah, I had it backwards, then. My bad.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:05 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote: I think I got rid of my Anarchist's Cookbook about the same time, for similar reasons :).

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

** expired/removed eBay auction **

** expired/removed eBay auction **

For those who wondered.

There are plenty of them on E-Bay.

One is listed as a 1st Edition, 2nd print (1st paperback printing) and at over $75 already.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Most around $25 or less.

You can also get them on CDs/E-Books for less.

There have been MANY printings of the book.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 17 of 74123 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 727374