The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:12 am 

I'm sure about the value, but in this lot there was a 1st print of DCC#1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0538373700

and some other stuff like a reaper d20 module that i have never seen beforehand...

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:44 am 

sauromatian wrote:
How many published fantasy war games existed by that point? Two? Could there be more than this plus Chainmail? That is, historical war games with supplemental chapters on fantasy.

The 1st Edition of Chainmail was published in 1971.

This War Games Books 1st Edition quite likely preceded the first days of Chainmail by a couple of years.
But Chainmail had the Fantasy rules in them from the get go.
And Yes I think that this War Games Rules with the Fantasy Supplement does have some historical significance.
It did precede the First Wood Grain Box Set, the Greyhawk supplement and all the other Rules books other than Chainmail too.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:51 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:It did precede..all the other Rules books other than Chainmail too.

Looks like you have an important artifact, as well as a reason for the rest of us to begin scrutinizing historical wargaming books from the early 70s. What else could there be out there, hidden in the back chapters of otherwise non-fantasy books?

1974 seems to be the opening of the floodgates; besides D&D, a Tolkien-collecting site identifies one other Tolkien game & a couple of magazine articles on adapting wargames to Tolkien (this in addition to the various comments Gygax made in early 70s periodicals). 1975 is of course when the dam really breaks, but 1973? That's something special.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:43 pm 

aia wrote:I'm sure about the value, but in this lot there was a 1st print of DCC#1:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

and some other stuff like a reaper d20 module that i have never seen beforehand...

The Reaper D20 module is fairly common...and sells for a low price most of the time.

It isn't bad.  

It strikes me as something that future collectors will want, if the current generation doesn't think it's worth much.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:58 pm 

Not spectacular, but fun for me... I found an out-of-town bookstore who took a box of accumulated/assorted/unwanted 2E hardbacks for trade... all on my 'wanted' list, and the second edition Stormbringer was complete :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:40 pm 

Missed out on the Elysian Field Timetracker Screen and I was even watching it but with 13 minutes to go I decided to organize some books and lost track of time - when I came back it had ended.

Although I was happy to acquire this one:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:13 pm 

I was bidding on it too:
The Elysian Field Timetracker Screen that is.

I recently won this item through an E-bay auction.
A Tunnels & Trolls Gamemaster Notebook and Screen.
The three ring binder is obviously not in very good condition.
Tape was used at some point to keep the folders covers from separating from the spine.
With the tape, the binder continues to keep the contents protected.
The binder is something I had seen listed on E-Bay before but was not able to obtain until this one.

However, it was not an empty binder… and the contents are the silver lining for this item.
Survival Kit, which includes the following:
DM Charts
Player Charts
Tunnels and Trolls Character Cards set.

Four T&T Modules:
Dungeon of the Bear: Level One
Dungeon of the Bear: Level Two
Dungeon of the Bear: Level Three
Uncle Ugly's Underground Doom

Dungeon of the Bear; Level One is fairly common and the other two are not hard to find either.
Level One can be bought for around $10-15 and sometimes less.
Two and Three for around $15 each.
Although I almost never see a listing with all three Levels together.

Uncle Ugly's is harder to find, though I do not think it is rare either.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:11 am 

Mars wrote:Missed out on the Elysian Field Timetracker Screen and I was even watching it but with 13 minutes to go I decided to organize some books and lost track of time - when I came back it had ended.

Forgot to bid on Elysian Field Timetracker Screen too. Do you have some information about this item? We discussed recently about it on a French forum, and I wasn't able to get any interesting information.

Where did you grab the HF booklet??? On ebay? I didn't spot it :(

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Dungeon of the Bear; Level One is fairly common and the other two are not hard to find either.

Nice find.
There is several prints of most of them, some are harder to find, especially 1st print of course. I have 3 different prints of Level 1 but I guess that it exists more than 3.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:47 am 

lokiwookie wrote:
Gnat the Beggar wrote:

Dungeon of the Bear; Level One is fairly common and the other two are not hard to find either.

Nice find.
There is several prints of most of them, some are harder to find, especially 1st print of course.
I have 3 different prints of Level 1 but I guess that it exists more than 3.

Are you sure that the print you posted the pic for is a First Print?
I was told that 1st prints did not have the Product Number on the front cover (lower left corner).

You indicated there are at least three US printings and I tend to agree with you on that note.
I am sure that there are at least 3 prints of Dungeon of the Bear for at least Level One.

However; In addition to the US printings there are also Digest sized UK Versions of at least Level One.
I have several copies of that item.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:33 am 

[Cut-and-pasted]

I have no idea what this is:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0189282021

Elysian Field Time Tracker by Britton Designs - can barely find a reference to it.  Ends in a few hours.

-----------------------------------

I didn't realize it was an AD&D product.

I think I still have one of these left (I think I gave the other one away years ago...)

::facepalm::

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:00 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:Are you sure that the print you posted the pic for is a First Print?
I was told that 1st prints did not have the Product Number on the front cover (lower left corner).

You're right, no product code on 1st print. I forgot the "s" to speak about 1st printings (i.e. prints that haven't the LEVEL 1 on the front cover)
Considering the print with the product code, there is at least 4 prints. I have one print without the product code, and 2 different prints with LEVEL 1 (the difference are in the 1st page (introduction)).

And of course, as you mentionned, there is the UK prints as well.

It would be interesting one day to really focus a discussion on T&T printings to get a reliable basis. It is always a hassle to find reliable information about T&T printing history.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:01 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote:I didn't realize it was an AD&D product.

I think I still have one of these left (I think I gave the other one away years ago...)

Do you plan to sell it? :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:02 pm 

it's a generic product that can be used for any system. it basically a blank outer screen with (four as i remember) dials inside to keep track of different lengths of time (of actions, spells etc.). it is product #5001. britton designs also made product #5004 Timetracker Background Sheets. My copy is in the shrink so i can't tell you what they look like.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 pm 

stratochamp wrote:it is product #5001. britton designs also made product #5004 Timetracker Background Sheets. My copy is in the shrink so i can't tell you what they look like.

It doesn't look terribly exciting but I wouldn't mind picking one up too.  Its actually product #5002.  From what I gather, the company also made some hex sheets.  I was going to take a look in some old catalogs to see if their product line is listed.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:10 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:Where did you grab the HF booklet??? On ebay? I didn't spot it Sad

No not on Ebay.  Its actually the copy from the Tome of Treasures thread:

http://tomeoftreasures.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4925

Persistence paid off.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:20 pm 

well my copy is stock #5004. they might have meant for it to be #5002, but that's not what they printed on the product.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:22 pm 

stratochamp wrote:well my copy is stock #5004. they might have meant for it to be #5002, but that's not what they printed on the product.

5002 is what is printed on this one:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

I'm guessing the Hex sheet was 5001.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:28 pm 

i, of course, thought you were referring to the timetracker background sheets. they are stock #5004. i will take a look at my copy tonight and see what stock code the basic product is....

PreviousNext