The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:50 pm 

nn wrote:Happily finally landed a Calthonwey, 19 quid, and no transatlantic postage.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Nice Pickup!  I was hoping to get it for 18 quid :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:10 pm 

yeah and i was trying to get it as well...cant remember what my max was...11 or 12 something i think - wishful thinking :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:26 pm 

Book of the Dragons

This one almost doesnt belong in this thread.  In my opinion it is not very interesting at all.  Artwork is average to bad and the content is blah.  I can only assume that this book's rarity is only because very few people bought it after leafing through it on the shelf.  :wink:   Whoever owns The Infernax, Thieves Quarter, and/or Tower of Elbrith from the same company please tell me that they are of better quality (since they are all on my want list).

sorry John no, they are all useless & poorly written. but wait, you buy these things for their quality?

Does anyone know if multiple color covers were used by Attack International on some of their books?[/quote]

my copies are tan except for infernax which is white.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:48 pm 

stratochamp wrote:sorry John no, they are all useless & poorly written. but wait, you buy these things for their quality?

I honestly didnt expect it to be a masterpiece of fantasy literature nor had I assumed it would be particularly useful.  But some of the non-TSR stuff that I have purchased over the years is quite good (Starstone), has at least been entertaining (Fluffy Quest), or has a specific purpose (Tradervale).  Book of the Dragons is 16 pages of disjointed material that serves very little purpose and does so quite badly.  If I had put together something like that BITD I would have been embarrassed to put my name on it.  :oops:

Thanks for the cover info.  I also noticed that the copy shown on Tome of Treasures is pink in color so I guess there are some variances at least for Book of the Dragons.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:16 am 

I'll have to check my copy but I would be surprised if there was more than 1 print for any of them - the pink may be a scanning interpolation error.  I have only seen maybe 5-10 copies of Dragons and Infernax and maybe 3 copies of the other 2 (off hand Bill has 1 set, I finished my set).  Coincidentally, Thieves Quarter was written by John M. Morrison who is the also the author of Dawnworld (for those of us still looking for that).  Hopefully the quality is a bit better.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:20 am 

Have seen variations in Interfax. There are some copies without the blacking out of the lettering. I do recall a reddish pink Book of Dragons also, but I may well be wrong there, and if I did see it, it must have been after 2005/6 because I didn't update my website with the print info.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:38 pm 

My wife bought me a near complete run of Deadlands: Hell on Earth. That was nice of her. Missing about 5 books, but that's not a complaint.

She also got me the four volume Encyclopedia Magica set, each in almost near mint (a little edge wear) and all 1st prints. I had them already, but these are in better condition so I can actually use the other ones now.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:36 pm 

Hey everyone,

Was browsing through an ebay store and saw the following:

Looked reasonable so bought it on the spot.

Does anyone have any idea on the printing for this Spell Law set?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Ronald

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:01 am 

i believe 1981 was the first year spell law was printed. the box is of course missing (unlike arms law, this was not sold in a ziploc bag).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:44 am 

stratochamp wrote:i believe 1981 was the first year spell law was printed. the box is of course missing (unlike arms law, this was not sold in a ziploc bag).

Hey stratochamp,

Thank you for the information.

I'm not too familiar with the ICE Rolemaster system as a collector.
I played using the system a couple of times.
Module I6 Ravenloft becomes a much harder adventure when using the Rolemaster system for undead...  :)

Best regards,
Ronald

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:55 am 

You can find all ICE products on ICE webring
http://www.icewebring.com/ice-products/

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:14 pm 

lokiwookie wrote:You can find all ICE products on ICE webring
http://www.icewebring.com/ice-products/

Hey Lokiwookie,

Thank you very much for the link. :)
It looks quite comprehensive.

Best regards,
Ronald

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:46 pm 

I have bought a fine set of autographed 3.5 D&D books recently.

Books are in pristine condition except for some drawings !!!

Link

:D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:04 pm 

Wonderfull!!! Even if it is 3.5 ed., it is a very nice lot!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:55 pm 

This arrived today.  Going to send it to a conservitor to see if I can get the yellowing taken care of.  I have The Incarnation of Death interior for The Caverns of Thracia (page 24) so this will go next to it on the wall.

This interior is from Dungeon 18 and was for the adventure "Chadranther's Bane."  The yellowing is barely noticable to the naked eye, but I want to make sure the image will last so I will have it conserved if it is possible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Martin

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:44 pm 

I for one welcome our ant overlords!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:21 pm 

Prufrock wrote:This arrived today.  Going to send it to a conservitor to see if I can get the yellowing taken care of.  I have The Incarnation of Death interior for The Caverns of Thracia (page 24) so this will go next to it on the wall.

This interior is from Dungeon 18 and was for the adventure "Chadranther's Bane."  The yellowing is barely noticable to the naked eye, but I want to make sure the image will last so I will have it conserved if it is possible.

Martin

Nice pickup!  8) When I saw this listed, I remembered that the cover painting sold a couple years ago on Ebay.

Let us know if the conversator is able to do something with the yellowing. I'm curious if it can mitigated (if that's the right term?)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:23 am 

le Rahib wrote:I have bought a fine set of autographed 3.5 D&D books recently.

Books are in pristine condition except for some drawings !!!

Link

:D

Excellent win 3.5 or not! :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

PreviousNext