The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 68 of 74123 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 727374
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:27 am 

Anyone here pick this Starstone up?:  

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:29 pm 

grodog wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Anyone here pick this Starstone up?:  

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Allan.

Not me, but it looks like it's missing the map.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:13 am 

Various issues of The Space Gamer magazine, 50 cents each. Fun mainly due to all the product reviews, many of which were sent in by readers & exhibit all manner of entertaining writing styles & criticisms unrestrained by professionalism or good taste.

"...the game looks every bit as bad as it is," states the reviewer of something called Phase VII, "so few gamers will be tempted to buy it because of classy packaging." -#57 (11/82) Then the reviewer compares it to 1974's OD&D, the most unfavorable depiction anyone can ever think of.

Such harsh judgments also prompted replies from the game manufacturers, & these are every bit as precious: "We are disappointed. When we publish a bad game and get a bad review, we take it. When we publish a game system like Adventures in Fantasy we do not expect a magazine like yours to publish a poorly written hatchet job by a reviewer impressed with his own critical commentary. Not one customer, even those who had to wait several months to get Adventures in Fantasy when our printing was delayed last winter, had one bad thing to say about it...At Origins we expressed a strong interest in advertising in your magazine. Since this is our only effective protest...we will not place any advertising with you this year." -#32 (10/80) At least they'll always have fond memories of Origins.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:10 pm 

Not a fun find on my part but on Goodman Games' part. A very limited number of modules they found in a warehouse and thought were long out-of-print. So if you're a DCC collector, check it out:

Warehouse Finds!|Goodman Games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:47 pm 

xRalphx wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Not a fun find on my part but on Goodman Games' part. A very limited number of modules they found in a warehouse and thought were long out-of-print. So if you're a DCC collector, check it out:

Warehouse Finds!|Goodman Games

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the heads-up. I was able to grab, if they were still in stock, a few items that I have been searching a long time to get. I was tempted to get multiple copies 3-5 each of the rare stuff, but I really just wanted the stuff for my collection.

Thanks so much - Paul

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:30 am 

Makes me wonder how many people over the years have taken a shovel and dug holes around the old TSR building hoping to find a certain orange-covered module.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:51 am 

Deadlord wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Makes me wonder how many people over the years have taken a shovel and dug holes around the old TSR building hoping to find a certain orange-covered module.

BRILLIANT  PDT_Armataz_01_25  ... "Where the heck did I leave my shovel?!?"  :scratch:

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:38 am 

PM-Knight wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the heads-up. I was able to grab, if they were still in stock, a few items that I have been searching a long time to get. I was tempted to get multiple copies 3-5 each of the rare stuff, but I really just wanted the stuff for my collection.

Thanks so much - Paul

Glad you found some modules in there Paul. I gave up on collecting DCC when they started introducing all the different covers of a single module. I couldn't keep up with that on top of all the other stuff I'm collecting  :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:08 pm 

I stopped collecting Goodman when it became apparent nothing is ever going out of print and limited edition does not mean what I think it should.  I remember setting up a public game to promote Towrr out of Time - the only way to get a copy of the module / until Goodman began printing & selling them everywhere. Same frustration with the red Fate's Fell Hand, supposedly a retailer special edition, which I went out of my way to trade for, available st many many cons since then. Both available in this warehouse-find.

I still buy what I like, but lost a lot of interest in staying DCC complete.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:24 pm 

I stopped with #52, although I should have probably stopped sooner.  I bought many of the variants, but not #3.5.  Then I sold Castle Whiterock for something like $150 because I never opened it and realized I never would.  I had purchased it for $49.00, so that was a nice profit.  Then Goodman offered #53 through #62 in one lot, or something like that for $20, and I couldn't pass it up.  I read those, wasn't thrilled, and sold them all in one lot about two years later for for $40, or something like that.  I've only read about ten of them so far but plan to read them all one day.  I've never run any of them or been through any of them as an adventurer that I can remember.  None of them super impressed me either with their writing or their adventure concept, but none of them were awful either that I can remember.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 pm 

benjoshua wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:None of them super impressed me either with their writing or their adventure concept, but none of them were awful either that I can remember.   8)

Jon Hershberger adapted Harley Stroh's Sailors on the Starless Sea for use in our home Wilderlands campaign, and we enjoyed that (I don't know how much Jon customized the module, but my impression was that it wasn't a lot beyond the stats conversion work).  We started to play another of Harley's adventures, set in the Verne-like series of modules that begin with Journey to the Center of Aereth, but our PCs abandoned that as too much to deal with (too low-level to resupply ourselves with food/water via magic).  

I haven't read any DCC modules myself, but in general I've liked Harley's work on the 3.x DCC modules line, and after dinner with Michael Curtis at NTX this year, I plan to pick up the DCC Lankhmar materials, too, but otherwise DCC isn't really my style---too close to Hackmaster for my taste.

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:28 pm 

I'm not sure what took me so long, this game is right on target for me, but I finally picked up a nice complete original box set for my Hidden Kingdoms collection :)

Attachment:
file.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:30 pm 

I need that sup.. did you pick that up recently?

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:34 am 

Ohhh... Great... This is the first time i see the supplement!! I was starting to believe it doesnt exist.
Re to the boxed set, i simply dont know what it is... Is it a second edition of the game?!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:49 am 

Grey upper right is the original box set. Lower is the supplement. Purple upper left is the new edition from the KS: Kickstarter

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:55 pm 

Sorry if I am posting this in an awkward format.
I'm not versed in how to set up a post with the info all in the neat little box.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

This Thieve's World set is distinct because it includes the much rarer Blue Camel supplement.

Regards,

Rick Meints
President - Chaosium Inc.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:58 pm 

Even with Blue Camel, that's pretty high.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:10 pm 

TheHistorian wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Even with Blue Camel, that's pretty high.

Is that the group that just sold (was for sale or withdrawn from sale) over on Facebook? Has the same red tag on lower right of Traitor.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 68 of 74123 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 727374