The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 63 of 74123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 727374
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:37 pm 

BTW, considering that authors include Ernest T Hams, it could be possible that it is only a supplement for KABAL, "like" Oriental Adv. for AD&D?

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:04 pm 

Ernest is the first listed writer, so I would assume wrote the most (although it is in alphabetical order)... unsure of the specifics of KABAL,, Daisho character creation = 7 Characterstics, generated by rolling 6 *d20 and adding numbers together, Characteristics are: Strength, Dexterity, Stealth, Marksmanship, Endurance, Wisdom and Charisma

This is the entire reference: "If creatures from KABAL are used, samurai receive full experience points for non-civilized races and half experience points for civilized races."

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:28 pm 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

This Seller is Actually Gareth Jones , writer of the game, and rpg fanzine editor (I asked him a couple of q's.. answers below)

When was AAARG!? published... I didn't put a date on it, so I'm relying on memory here. I was living in Southampton, and didn't have any kids yet. I paid for the printing out of a tax rebate. Hmmm... I 'm guessing maybe 1993. I might be out by year either way.

Black Mole ran for 5 issues. At that point I started Beaumains, and my intention was to run both, but it turned out to be too much work. Beaumains ran for 6 issues, at which point I became a Dad, and various things were shelved.

I'm getting rid of most of my gaming stuff. There are two main reasons for this: I haven't actually run a game for a long time (though I did join a D&D group as a player for a while about two years ago) - and I seem to move house far too often to be bothered to pack it all up again.

For a while now, my creative talents have been diverted to writing and acting, and stand-up comedy...
If you know any theater groups that would be interested in a silly, noisy, fun play for all ages, you can hire a script f mine from
the script Co.
ARRR! - Riotous, Rollicking Adventure Play Script!

Here's a sample of the stand-up

Jonesey at the gotham club April 2012 - YouTube

Incidentally to my mind the best thing about AAARG! was that it's simple enough to run a scenario from virtually any other game, so a bunch of remaindered stuff at the time was ideal. I ran or played in AAARG! versions of Dream Park, Gangbusters, GURPS Robin Hood, the Hero system, and more. My favorite campaign however was self-written and set in Philip Farmer's "World of Tiers". At a GenCon, someone had me playing in a Superhero version they'd written.

The errata sheet sent out with any copies sold more than about six months after publication

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:25 am 

Thanks for sharing these info :)

Did you ask if he has other copies left? (I guess yes, and I guess his reply was no.... )

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:42 pm 

He's looking for more Black Moles for me, but I haven't heard anything.  Also, he lives near me, so if anything is listed that anyone has a serious question about, I may be able to check it out.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:15 pm 

I'm not sure what he has left - I bought a number of auctions when he was moving from the UK and downsizing.

I remember a that time he had a bunch of Beaumains, Black Mole, Daemon, Aaargh and also the Disenchanted Games items.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:39 pm 

If you can get some arrrgh :D

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:22 pm 

Okay, really a mixed group, but the best was outside TSR, so...

I picked up some auction lots from an estate sale yesterday. I was second highest bidder for a lot which included a 1st print Boot Hill (dagnabbit!)

The winnings:

Lot 1: D&D stuff. Nothing really of note except a 3rd print Swords & Spells (GD-VG), and 1st prints of DMG and PHB. Ya know the recent thread on the overpriced DMG? Yeah, they look a lot like that, but at least no water damage. Reeaaaly well-used. I feel like taking a shower after touching them.  :wink:

Lot 2: A few boxed games, including a TSR print Tractics. Pretty good shape overall, but the owner was so concerned about corner splits, he used duct tape as a preventative! D'OH! If anyone has a piccie of what the dice looks like, I'd appreciate it. I probably have the right one, just want to be sure.

Now the fun stuff begins.

The people handling the auction had three boxes they were going to toss, but let me take them away no charge. Inside were the obligatory maps and character sheets for D&D games, some dice, and a ton of stuff for Avalon Hill's Squad Leader and ASL. 15 plastic containers of various sizes with the counters; 46 map boards (not all the #s and some dupes); binders full of the ASL rules and material. I even found a few sheets of correspondence from AH where it mentions he was involved in playtesting for the '89 ASL Annual, and I did find via some research he has playtest credits for the Croix de Guerre supplement. I'll be spending the next few months trying to determine if I have complete sets.

Also in the boxes:
• A copy of FGU's Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age
• 4th print OD&D Box set booklets (no box or refs); pretty well-used, though, maybe GD-VG at best
• Complete and pretty good copy of the World of Greyhawk folio (6th print)
• A copy of GHQ's WWII Armor rules "Tank Charts" 1984 print
• Judges Guild CSIO material (partial of a 1st print?; only have the cover sheet, Thunderhold Booklet J, TH Judges map and two TH player's maps)
• Wilderlands of High Fantasy 1st print (book 1 and both judges and players maps only)
• CS World Emperor (all 3 books and the city map only)
• First Fantasy Campaign Maps (both player's and judge's)
• 4 other CSIO maps (from #7-14, player's copies)

Of the JG stuff, the three World Emperor books and a few of the maps I would say are in collectible grade on first glance. Most is unfortunately roughed up and/or torn.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:21 pm 

I've been keeping an eye out for one of these for awhile. This one is in shrink so it will sit on my shelf for awhile before I decide whether to open it.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:41 pm 

That's fantastic!

It took me forever to find a set I could be satisfied was 'complete'.  Well done :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:15 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:That's fantastic!

It took me forever to find a set I could be satisfied was 'complete'.  Well done :)

Thanks! For such a small box it is surprisingly heavy.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:35 pm 

Wow, surprised to see this thread buried on page two... almost a year between posts.

Here's a recent fun find, a mixed kijiji lot pick up.  Talking with another member, kijiji doesn't seem to be what it used to be, but it was nice to get lucky with this one :)  I was amused to read that is Paul Jaquays on the cover of Treasure Maps wearing the bucket.

Attachment:
IMG_0988.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:00 pm 

"Mixed" is right.   :lol:  Very nice pick-up.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:38 pm 

Awesome David!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:11 pm 

Wow.  8O

Awesome!!!  For sale???  :lol:

Carpe DM!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:19 pm 

Thanks guys :)  Not an OB3, but still pretty pleased.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:48 am 

Thunderdave wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Thanks guys :)  Not an OB3, but still pretty pleased.

Heh...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:02 pm 

Just picked these up.  Never had an issue in hand and these seemed to be at a great price.  Did I get a good deal?  Am I going to be happy with my purchase?  I am not just a collector, but a regular gamer, so I hope to find them useful.  Thanks!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 63 of 74123 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 727374