The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 57 of 74123 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 727374
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:50 pm 

must have been short a couple;)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:27 pm 

I was happy to grab this from Noble Knight for $27 - I've been looking for a copy for over 10 years now.  They must have forgotten a 0 when entering the price :)  The cover image is great.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:00 pm 

That's a great find!

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:15 pm 

Just picked up a copy of the Armory's 30-Sided Dice Gaming Tables (the revised edition from 1982) for 6 bucks.  It's in very nice condition--I'm not sure I could QUITE say "near mint," but it's close.  No staple rust, crisp corners...6 dollars well spent, in my opinion.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:16 pm 

Mars wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:I was happy to grab this from Noble Knight for $27 - I've been looking for a copy for over 10 years now.  They must have forgotten a 0 when entering the price :)  The cover image is great.

[ Image ]

they've been know to make mistakes like that. they had rob kuntz zayene and plantmaster mods up for auction on ebay one day! they never ever have auctions that i know of. got them for $25. Mint in shrink. was quite pleased

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:03 pm 

webrik33 wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:they've been know to make mistakes like that. they had rob kuntz zayene and plantmaster mods up for auction on ebay one day! they never ever have auctions that i know of. got them for $25. Mint in shrink. was quite pleased

You should do a search for that bundle on the Acaeum.  Noble Knight had hundreds of copies of those modules and was selling them for years and years on Ebay (almost on a weekly basis).   I'm sure we must have dozens of messages about it.  The end price had a fairly good range - sometimes as high as $100.  But in the later years, if you placed a bid of anything higher than about $28, you would get a second chance offer.  I'm sure that buying tip is posted here at least a half dozen times - good to see it is still true.  I would be curious to know how many such bundles were bought by Acaeum members - I'm sure I've bought at least a half dozen (at that price they were a good resell item too).  Also there are a couple prints of the first module and sometimes there were some issues with staple rust, etc.

Its a great buy at that price - good job!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:10 pm 

Here's a good one:

Interesting Non-TSR Items Formerly on eBay • Page 58 • Collecting General - Non TSR •  The Acaeum

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:31 pm 

The Fighting Fantasy line. It appeared after the era I collect, so much of it is still pretty new to me. But I'm interested in minimalist rules systems, so have been acquiring a few things lately-

Dicing with Dragons, including Fantasy Quest 1 (1982).
The sample game rules (similar to FF) use a lot of 3D6 rolls, an apparent nod to the first actions of a novice D&D player. The adventure is Ian Livingstone doing what he does best: a tasteful assemblage of classic fantasy icons. The various maps throughout the book (taken from then-current games such as Prax from RuneQuest) are a nice touch. Both this volume & Bruce Galloway's Fantasy Wargaming were available as book-club reprints, meaning that the book club could technically offer a hardback RPG line in competition with AD&D. Unfortunately one system is too simple, while the other is ridiculously complex & disorganized -although you do get the stats for God & Jesus in Galloway's book, which presumably you could use to duke it out with Satan & Cthulhu from AD&D while Star Destroyers fight the USS Enterprise overhead for consumerist supremacy. I of course got the only edition of Dicing with Dragons worth having, the metal-boobies US trade paperback from Plume.

Citadel of Chaos, Fighting Fantasy Gamebook 2 (1983).
Steve Jackson doing what he does best, a somewhat more Alice-in-Wonderland spin on the genre than Livingstone's efforts. As rules systems go, this one packs the most punch in the smallest package, spells & all. The original UK edition of this volume has a great cover by Emmanuel, but on the other hand the US-edition covers are illustrated by Richard Corben. E.g. his cover for Warlock of Firetop Mountain (You too could be the lucky winner of all these non-existent rewards!), & the glowing fires of damnation look awfully tempting in the background of his cover for House of Hades.

Warlock, the Fighting Fantasy Magazine No. 3 (1984).
The publishing notes mention only Penguin Books, but some online sources list the publisher of this periodical as the Puffin division of Penguin. Includes Market Mayhem, which is presented as a boardgame but could be used to expand FF toward a fully functioning, game-mastered RPG. The FF installment is House of Hell, with both a title more obscene & illustrations more nude than the eventual US book edition. The adventure addresses FF rules in a modern setting, along with an opening narrative premise reminiscent of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. (Singing the lines aloud while playing the game solo should be considered optional.)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:33 pm 

::cheep cheep cheep::

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:56 pm 

ExTSR wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:::cheep cheep cheep::

aaaarrrrgggghhhh! that's one hell of a deal right there! one of AH more rare items. at least I haven't seen but a couple over the last few years

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:44 pm 

webrik33 wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:one of AH more rare items. at least I haven't seen but a couple over the last few years

Yes it is, I spent an unholy number of years (6 to be exact) looking for it after discovering this line (AH Ritual Kits), & was lucky to find one at $50 recently. Well worth it to get the paper dolls of the smartly dressed young couple. I wonder if the previous owners used the mask of The Horned One to actually do it. I'll keep it wrapped in plastic just in case.

The Kit I found six years ago (Black Magic) mostly reproduces medieval texts, & is fairly circumspect with interpretation. The approach is so dry that I mostly ended up looking at is as an illustration of how a wand, candles, & scratchings in the dirt could be used as mundane tools for geometric constructions, rather than the modern straightedge, protractor, & compass. Of course the truly modern technique is to dispense with drawing tools altogether & to let the demons of silicon draw all the protective wards for us. Sort of like the fox guarding the hen-house if you ask me.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:58 pm 

fwiw...

Avalon Hill Black Magic Ritual Kit RARE New in Shrink Wrap | eBay

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:56 pm 

The seller would probably grant a $34 discount.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:27 pm 

sauromatian wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:
ExTSR wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:fwiw...

The seller would probably grant a $34 discount.

that price is just, well, silly!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:31 pm 

someone got a deal on this imo. i don't have it but wish i had won it at that price!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:36 pm 

webrik33 wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:

someone got a deal on this imo. i don't have it but wish i had won it at that price!

eBay wasn't accepting bids on any of Tadashi's sales from over here just before that batch closed. Indeed, it even refused to acknowledge that he existed when I checked.
=> BBC News - eBay glitch blocks access for users on auction site

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 am 

This week-end I was in a French RPG convention (Octogônes), and I found that: (price on ziplock is the selling price...)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:59 am 

lokiwookie wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:This week-end I was in a French RPG convention (Octogônes), and I found that: (price on ziplock is the selling price...)

[ Image ]

no fair! i'm moving to france...

did you buy them? and if so i'll give you 39.95 euro each!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 57 of 74123 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 727374