The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 56 of 74123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 727374
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:27 pm 

Since the NM copy I picked up a while ago was missing stickers, I was sadly trolling ebay for another copy to frankenstien from when I found (and mashed BIN so hard I think I broke my mouse) this:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:49 am 

Which mechs come in that?
I assume you get two, and 12 or 16 mech sheets, and you were then meant to use them as proxies?
Which map boards?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:24 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Which mechs come in that?
I assume you get two, and 12 or 16 mech sheets, and you were then meant to use them as proxies?
Which map boards?

Shadowhawk and Griffin.  I dont know what they intended, they dont come with bases (the feet are pretty big though).  Might be entertaining to play one game that way but would probably get annoying pretty quick.

I never thought to compare the maps.  The "Driods maps are paper and one sided while the first ed Battletech ones are doublesided (one side blank hexes) and heavy cardboard.  The terrain is identical, but the art is a bit more detailed on the cardboard version.  The 'Driods version is embossed with "Battledriods" in bright red across the bottom, while the other has "Battletech" in black.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:34 pm 

Is there a scenario for Shadowhawk vs. Griffin?
They followed up with 10 or 11 two mech packs. They came with assembly instructions and two plastic kits, and a mech vs. mech scenario, but no mech data sheets, so I'm assuming the mech data sheets were in the original Battledroids boxed set. I've never seen one, although I do have a good number of the mech vs. mech scenarios that came with the kits.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:34 pm 

Another one that took a bit of waiting (~10 years...).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:52 am 

The cover art looks almost ... pasted on. (?) The gap between rectangle top & middle rectangle looks uneven. Ditto for the middle & bottom rectangle.

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:11 am 

agreeded.. origioaln drawing? it should be green like the rest I believe..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:05 pm 

Guy Fullerton wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:The cover art looks almost ... pasted on. (?) The gap between rectangle top & middle rectangle looks uneven. Ditto for the middle & bottom rectangle.

This is the infamous butcher cover. Carefully peel it back to reveal the original banned cover, depicting Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone wearing bloodstained white smocks & holding dismembered plastic dolls. It was made around the same time they raised controversy for saying that fantasy wargaming was bigger than Jesus.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:54 pm 

sauromatian wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:
Guy Fullerton wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:This is the infamous butcher cover. Carefully peel it back to reveal the original banned cover, depicting Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone wearing bloodstained white smocks & holding dismembered plastic dolls. It was made around the same time they raised controversy for saying that fantasy wargaming was bigger than Jesus.

Ha! You didn't see the papers around here a few years later when the scare stories really took off. :)
Might be some time before we get Beatles-style valuations, though? :p

Occam did the dismembering, of course;

(camera flash on ink again, apologies)

I'd've kicked myself if I'd missed that second time around after such a long wait.
Not much "RPG" cover art still around from that time or before, plus Alan was a favorite SF artist of mine, too; always happy to help out on the fan-side as well as for professional publications.
Looking in, he must've felt a bit like Prof. Barker did States-side with all those youngsters around hyping a new hobby, except that Alan was six years older than Phil - take a peek back at the WD#3 cover and remind yourself that's a 54 year old fan artist at work in a "totally new" hobby domain, gridded floor and all! :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:16 pm 

faro wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Took me rather too long to pick this one up, not exactly helped by postage rates...
And as overambitious as it sounds: a socio-economic-political roleplaying worldgame. In a can. In 1969.

Roles are not fixed over time: players may attempt to progress their character up or down the social scale into a new role depending on their game strategy or personal goals, but each role must played broad-brush according to the character books provided. More-or-less open-ended interaction above-and-beyond the (borderline unplayable?) game framework appears to be encouraged.
Whereas the game itself is not open-ended, there's not necessarily any one "winner" in that the whole world can easily(?) be dragged down into flames and chaos so that no-one can "win". Rather too realistic, perhaps? One blogger's comparison with Kingdom was rather astute, IMO. :)

The canvas map is kinda gorgeous, too... (White box for scale).

[ Image ]

its been a long time (30 years) since i last looked at my brother-in-law's copy of dynasty, but i would not have thought of calling it an rpg. personally i really like lawrence schick's defintion in heroic worlds of "quantified interactive storytelling".

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:25 am 

stratochamp wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:its been a long time (30 years) since i last looked at my brother-in-law's copy of dynasty, but i would not have thought of calling it an rpg. personally i really like lawrence schick's definition in heroic worlds of "quantified interactive storytelling".

*g* I don't recall using "RPG" even in quotes, given the reactions from some of our more prickly community members to any suggestions that D&D wasn't the first roleplaying game rather than containing particular paradigms within that domain which were influential and indeed dominant for a time.

By Schick's definition, Curtis, Colwill and Blake, for example, would be earlier by a good margin, without the additional riders required to ensure D&D has primacy, if there's deemed to be value in playing that "game". (Don't think I had an answer from Svenny as to quite how that recalled name got mixed up in the Braunstein chronology).

Lucky brother-in-law to have a copy of Dynasty just lying around. Did they/you ever try playing it! :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:05 am 

you typed "roleplaying worldgame". i'm sure you can see why i shortened that to "rpg" in my commentary.
yes he played all his thousands of board & war games. fortunately, he did not make use of all of his early rpg items, which is why most of them are NM or better.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:06 pm 

Finally caught one of my great white whales.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I've had the Kasar-Khan portfolio for a while, but hadn't seen the box set come up in years.  Now if only there was a way to pick up CDM-5.   :(

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:16 am 

Great price! I bought mine twice this price.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:13 pm 

faro wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread: I don't recall using "RPG" even in quotes, given the reactions from some of our more prickly community members to any suggestions that D&D wasn't the first roleplaying game rather than containing particular paradigms within that domain which were influential and indeed dominant for a time.

I've been collecting something similar recently, occult-themed "games" from the 1960s. The Golden Magazine for Boys and Girls (Jan. 1969) describes three of the most popular examples.

Harold Ramis' Ghostbusters looks a lot like Kreskin's ESP boardgame from 1966. There's Egon Spengler on the cover, plus you can act out Bill Murray's first scene of the movie with the cards (impressionable co-ed not included). Now that Ramis himself is a bona fide ghost, you can hold a seance to ask him how this game may have influenced the development of D&D.  Or you can just read the instructions, which lay out a scoring system not unlike D&D psionics.

Also in the article are Jeanne Dixon's Game of Destiny, & of course the Ouija board. Like Diplomacy & Dynasty, they break the mold of what a game is supposed to be, taking the concept more into the direction of the modern RPG. Works like Playing at the World have scratched the surface, but there is more to be found in the 1960s era.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:25 pm 

Even rarer than second-hand Cthulhu or MERP, in my experience, here was a fun local find... a local super re-claimed an abondoned locker and had all these WFRPG goodies that needed a home... bargain :)  
Attachment:
DSCN1064.JPG

Curiously though, this was only the second-best kijiji pickup in Toronto yesterday...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:26 am 

Thunderdave wrote in The Non-TSR Recent Fun Finds thread:Even rarer than second-hand Cthulhu or MERP, in my experience, here was a fun local find... a local super re-claimed an abondoned locker and had all these WFRPG goodies that needed a home... bargain :)

As long as the handouts in the back of each aren't cut, that's quite a nice group.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:31 am 

This is not a statement, just a question:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Is this a nice find? At least condition is great!
ciaooo

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 56 of 74123 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 727374