Lost Necromancer PDFs
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:38 pm 

Kingifpain89 wrote:If you do the premium subscription for $125, you get all of the .pdf's as they come out and a signed, numbered hardcover when all is said and done.

If you dont want the hardcover, you can pay $89.99 for just the .pdf's.

If you dont want the .pdf's you can wait until they have finished with the subscriptions and then you will be able to buy the hardcover by itself for $169.99. Only it will not contain the extra content and wont be signed and numbered.

This is all there on Frog God Games product page. If you want the hardcover for $125 you have to purchase the .pdf package thru Frog God Games.

King,

Yep, though I think the limited edition and PDF offer is available @$169.00, for a month or so after the short-term $125.00 offer ends.  

FormCritic wrote:I don't think there are "softcovers" as part of the plan.

I think there is only a hardcover and the PDF versions.

FC,

You are correct.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:58 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I don't think there are "softcovers" as part of the plan.

I think there is only a hardcover and the PDF versions.

I think it's pretty safe to assume Ian was going for "softcopy" and not softcover.  However, there is this comment on their website:

As an additional option, we have made all these books available through Drive through RPG, and will soon be offering print on demand softcover books as well as electronic copies through DTRPG

So eventually you will be able to get a POD "softcover" booklet.

PaulKM wrote:Kingifpain89

Who the hell is Kingifpain89?  :P

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:48 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Who the hell is Kingifpain89?  :P

King,

:lol:  What's one letter between friends?

There's a little black hole in my brain today.

Best,

Paul

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:09 pm 

PaulKM wrote:King,

:lol:  What's one letter between friends?

I guess I should be glad my name isn't Rick or Buck.  That could get dirty.  :roll:

PaulKM wrote:There's a little black hole in my brain today.

You're supposed to sip the single-malt Paul.  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:01 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I guess I should be glad my name isn't Rick or Buck. That could get dirty.

:wink:

Rickifpain89?  Buckifpain89?  I don't get it.   :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:19 am 

Who knows.
It's too complexed and not exactly clear.
Seems like the rules are not written down and open to change.

Softcover - I thought there was to be a POD option on the PDFs.

Hardcover - What happend if someone buys each PDF and various points along the route, but doesn't actually hit the $125 button? Do they get the free hardback with the bonus chapter and signatures, or don't they? Bear in mind these people will have paid more than the people hitting the $125 button.

Maybe FGG need to post a list off all their many pricing options and exactly what comes with each and the rulings associated with them. I get the impression from the posts that a lot of people are confused or only have half the picture, and that can't be good for business. Especially if people invest and don't get what they want at the end for the want of having accurate info available easily for people to see.

You're right, FGG's site is not clear and does not paint the whole picture.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:22 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:If you do the premium subscription for $125, you get all of the .pdf's as they come out and a signed, numbered hardcover when all is said and done.

If you dont want the hardcover, you can pay $89.99 for just the .pdf's.

If you dont want the .pdf's you can wait until they have finished with the subscriptions and then you will be able to buy the hardcover by itself for $169.99.  Only it will not contain the extra content and wont be signed and numbered.

This is all there on Frog God Games product page.  If you want the hardcover for $125 you have to purchase the .pdf package thru Frog God Games.

I'd probably put together enough for a $125 800page hardcover, because that sounds a bit special.

Maybe the guys will post here just to clarify a few points? So if I buy the .pdf collection over the (however long), I get the hardcover copy for shipping? Now thats sounds ok at the moment.

EDIT - Having read through their pages again, I'm still not 100% clear on one thing.

If I buy the $2 starter and then $9.99 a month for the .pdf, do I then get the Hardcover (signed or not isn't an issue) for the shipping cost, no estra to pay?

Or do I HAVE to hit the $125 at the start? If it's $9.99 a month, I think I'm in  8)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 am 

ashmire13 wrote:EDIT - Having read through their pages again, I'm still not 100% clear on one thing.

If I buy the $2 starter and then $9.99 a month for the .pdf, do I then get the Hardcover (signed or not isn't an issue) for the shipping cost, no estra to pay?

Or do I HAVE to hit the $125 at the start? If it's $9.99 a month, I think I'm in  8)

That's what I wanna know. Cos if that's the case, I might be up for buying all the PDFs. I just don't have $125 to drop in one go. But at $10 every few weeks, I'm game. But, like you say, there's no real deffinitive 'yes' or 'no' as to whether you'd get the hardcover with bonus at the end of the investment, or whether you'd be excluded. Maybe they'll come over and clear up the ambiguity.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:16 am 

I know that this probably won't help but I'll post it anyway.

Only the subscriptions get the hardcover limited edition; signed and numbered by me and Greg. Extra hardcovers are still $125 each. Ping me if you want several and maybe we can work something out.

If there are extras (yes I am printing several extras) they will go to the first "X" people that order all of the loose chapters DIRECTLY FROM MY WEBSITE (not DTRPG, not at Paizo, just from me). After that, the hardcovers are going to cost a lot more, since printing 1 costs a fortune and printing 200-300 costs a lot less per unit. I am going to discontinue the $125 soon.

Pdfs are sold 3 ways (me, paizo, dtrpg). POD softcovers of each chapter will be sold at DTRPG for about 12 or 13 bucks for each chapter.

This was posted by Bill Webb over in the Slumbering Tsar thread.  It states that the people who subscribe will get a hardback.  It states just below that that the people who purchase the .pdf's piecemeal (not the one time $89.99 deal) will be able to purchase a hardback (doesnt say for how much).  Anyone not subscribing or puchasing the .pdf's by chapter can purchase any remaining hardbacks for $169.99.

And Ian, it clearly states that POD books will be available soon through DriveThru RPG.

If you have questions, why not email the man directly at [email protected].  Seemed to work for Paul.  I can't imagine the guy has time to visit every thread about the project on every website that covers RPG's.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:10 am 

Cheers King, I'll drop him a note  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:21 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:Cheers King, I'll drop him a note  :)

And then get back to us with the clarification?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:26 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
And then get back to us with the clarification?

Will do, I've just fired the email to them. Once I get the answer, I'll post it here.  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:26 pm 

That's a shame.

I'd be up for buying the PDFs month by month, but not if I'd then be excluded from the Hardcover with the 'bonus' chapter. Having an 'incomplete' hardcover edition and pricing it at $170 seems to be counter productive. It will always be seen as 'incomplete' if it doesn't have all the published materials in it, and the idea of charging a premium for a truncated product stikes me as bad business. Or at the very leasy, a way of generating bad will.

If people can affort the $130+ to buy the PDFs in monthly installments, that brings in an income stream. The idea of penalising these buyers and subscribers for their loyalty by not giving them a signed edition with the bonus chapter seems to be quite a blow. Who would want to spend $130 or even $170 to get a second rate product? The whole 'bonus chapter' marks out the rest of the product line as second rate and incomplete. It's not good to mark your prime product as second rate before you even launch it, and I don't see most people shelling out that sort of money for something they know is not complete.

Lets face it, we wouldn't be paying $200+ for Ptolus if we knew there were 500 copies with an additional chapter. We'd be paying $80 and only shell out $200 for the whole product.

I imagine somewhere over the intervening 12 months, one or other primary in FLG will realise the problem they are building. Withholding materials from people with money has gotta be the most rediculous business decision I've ever heard of. It will be reversed, or the public release without the full gamut will be selling at the $80 price point.

If you're gonna reward early birds with anything and not shoot your business sales in the foot, the only way to do it is with a signature and a special cover, a presentation bex and a bound in ribbon. Preferental access to exclusive material markes the whole other edition as second rate. That's not what you want to do to a $170 product.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:06 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:That's a shame.

I'd be up for buying the PDFs month by month, but not if I'd then be excluded from the Hardcover with the 'bonus' chapter. Having an 'incomplete' hardcover edition and pricing it at $170 seems to be counter productive. It will always be seen as 'incomplete' if it doesn't have all the published materials in it, and the idea of charging a premium for a truncated product stikes me as bad business. Or at the very leasy, a way of generating bad will.

If people can affort the $130+ to buy the PDFs in monthly installments, that brings in an income stream. The idea of penalising these buyers and subscribers for their loyalty by not giving them a signed edition with the bonus chapter seems to be quite a blow. Who would want to spend $130 or even $170 to get a second rate product? The whole 'bonus chapter' marks out the rest of the product line as second rate and incomplete. It's not good to mark your prime product as second rate before you even launch it, and I don't see most people shelling out that sort of money for something they know is not complete.

Lets face it, we wouldn't be paying $200+ for Ptolus if we knew there were 500 copies with an additional chapter. We'd be paying $80 and only shell out $200 for the whole product.

I imagine somewhere over the intervening 12 months, one or other primary in FLG will realise the problem they are building. Withholding materials from people with money has gotta be the most rediculous business decision I've ever heard of. It will be reversed, or the public release without the full gamut will be selling at the $80 price point.

If you're gonna reward early birds with anything and not shoot your business sales in the foot, the only way to do it is with a signature and a special cover, a presentation bex and a bound in ribbon. Preferental access to exclusive material markes the whole other edition as second rate. That's not what you want to do to a $170 product.

mbassoc,

FYI: The more they print in one shot, the cheaper the cost to print. They want a solid number for the printer, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Hence, the $125.00 offer (14 PDFs and the limited edition hardcover) is an incentive for those of us willing to wait a year.  

*(The PDFs month-by-month the total is $101.90 (the PDF only subscription is $89.00), yet for an additional $23.10 one gets everything.)*

It's quite a nice deal to get 14 PDFs and a limited edition hardcover-- around 500,000 words, plus maps--for $125.00.  

Best,

Paul

*Correction:  The correct amount is $131.87 USD, $6.87 more than the full premium offer.

Last edited by PaulKM on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:46 pm 

Barring a few cents, the individual PDFs which is what I'm buying is $132. So I'd be paying more than the $125, and if that results in getting a Hardcover that omits the additional material, it's a less desirable, lower value, incomplete product. I don't get the $101?

I can't believe the authors will shaft the buyers of the individual PDFs and consider them to be unworthy of the full product. That's just insane business practice to take maoney and then shaft the buyer at the end. So I think we've got this wrong. I can't see the guys at FGG trating people who buy the PDFs each month differently from those who buy them at $125. We're all gonna have to wait a year to get the full set of PDFs anyhow.

But it's not exactly clear, is it?

Also, the product page doesn't mention anything about a bonus chapter, so unless you've been priveliged to read an online discussion, if you buy from the site using anything other than the $125 option, there's nothing saying you'll be getting a product that is different from the one the $125 bunch gets. The site quite specificly dresses them up and makes out that they're the same product.

If they do ship differend or bonus materials, that's pretty devious seeing as they're saying it's the same product on their website.

Does anyone know for sure what the real deal is? Or are we just going on comment on forums? And are they gonne tell customers what's what on their website if the story on the forum is different from the story on the shopfront?

There's a lot confusion and misleading sales info being spread about. Maybe someone at FGG will make sure everyone is singing from the same songsheet and buyers get accurate information from the site.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:11 pm 

Ok; buy the 9.99's until I kill subs (October)Save your receipts. In October--I'll refund you all of the 9.99's when you buy the $125--don't all of you do it. Its a PITA, but I get the cash flow thing. I don't want someone to not be able to get a book since they can't do all $125 at once.

ps--the bonus chapter was supposed to be a last ditch "buy it now quick" before I ended subscriptions; but Lisa Stevens dropped the info publicly at PaizoCon.

pps--the "whole book" is the same. "Bonus" material is "bonus" for those who subscribed because its easier on me (less hassle/time/paperwork/et al). Bonuses are extras. Not part of the original/whole or expected thing.

pps--ash--I will try to anticipate how many additional copies of the limited edition I need to order printed. That being said, I am going to guess low (costs to me). If you dutifully order each month, and it looks like you have, you will probably get one. That being said, I am not going to promise that, because its very hard to track who ordered each and every chapter one at a time, so i will have to guess. If people did, they will get "a" book for sure; but if I run out of the limited editions, they won't get that book.

Hope this clarifies--I am gonna update "the deal" on my site soon.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:24 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Barring a few cents, the individual PDFs which is what I'm buying is $132. So I'd be paying more than the $125, and if that results in getting a Hardcover that omits the additional material, it's a less desirable, lower value, incomplete product. I don't get the $101?

I can't believe the authors will shaft the buyers of the individual PDFs and consider them to be unworthy of the full product. That's just insane business practice to take maoney and then shaft the buyer at the end. So I think we've got this wrong. I can't see the guys at FGG trating people who buy the PDFs each month differently from those who buy them at $125. We're all gonna have to wait a year to get the full set of PDFs anyhow.

But it's not exactly clear, is it?

Also, the product page doesn't mention anything about a bonus chapter, so unless you've been priveliged to read an online discussion, if you buy from the site using anything other than the $125 option, there's nothing saying you'll be getting a product that is different from the one the $125 bunch gets. The site quite specificly dresses them up and makes out that they're the same product.

If they do ship differend or bonus materials, that's pretty devious seeing as they're saying it's the same product on their website.

Does anyone know for sure what the real deal is? Or are we just going on comment on forums? And are they gonne tell customers what's what on their website if the story on the forum is different from the story on the shopfront?

There's a lot confusion and misleading sales info being spread about. Maybe someone at FGG will make sure everyone is singing from the same songsheet and buyers get accurate information from the site.

mbassoc,

My apologies concerning the PDFs month-by-month total, in my haste I left three PDFs out of my calculations. You are correct: $131.87 USD  

My notation of the full PDF package at $89.00 USD is correct:

http://talesofthefroggod.com/products.html

The premier full subscription is $125.00 USD (LE hardcover, plus 14 PDFs), $6.87 USD less than the month-by-month method.

As for information regarding the limited edition and subscriptions, Bill Webb and Greg have been quite forthcoming.

Please see on TotF's homepage, under 'News!' the subscription program.

http://talesofthefroggod.com/index.html

Greg's post on page 1 of this thread:  particularly page 1, paragraph 6 concerning subscriptions.

Also, Bill Webb's posts (user name: tsathogga) here:

about10246-0.html

He mentions the bonuses in his second post, page 1.  

It is quite straightforward.

Best,

Paul

p.s. Bill's post above helps as well. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:51 am 

I think Bill got in there just before you Paul. Thanks to both of you for shedding a little more light. I think I'll carry on buying my PDF each month, and mentally bookmark October to speek to Bill about offsetting my monthly purchases to a subscription. Hopefully by October I'll either have feed up enough cash, or I'll have saved up enough cash to meke things easier. At least there is a possibility of getting the book with bonus chapter fir those who buy the regular PDFs.

PreviousNext