Worst Dungeons & Dragons product ever!!!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:25 pm 

This is fun!  Someone else mention something so we can all say it sucks!   :wink:

Mark  8)

(I'm sure, somewhere, there's someone who thought that the Giant modules sucked and that the Descent modules bit and that Queen of the Demonweb Pits was a rancid snot hanky.   :cry: )

I had believed that In Search of the Unknown was the first TSR module ever published...but now I hear that it was Steading of the Hill Giant Chieftain.  True?  (What a way to start!)

And who came up with the word, "module?"

Mark Again   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:24 pm 

I don't want to nitpick a two-year post, but I have to, because I can't help myself:

darkseraphim wrote:#10 Polly S Ankheg Underside Pink Paint:  The only official pink paint for AD&D; its uses are neverending!  Every single ankheg you own can now have a sparkling, accurately pink underside carapace.

Actually, Ral Partha product 77-770 is AD&D "Tentacle Pink".  (It's kind of a "strawberry milk" color in the jar.)  Because, as we know, all the really scary monsters have pink tentacles.

While I'm here, I'm going to nominate TSR's AD&D minatures boxed sets as the worst product.  They're just horrible -- some of them don't even have real faces.  You're lucky if you get 3 usable figures in a box of 12.

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:43 pm 

Contrarian wrote:
While I'm here, I'm going to nominate TSR's AD&D minatures boxed sets as the worst product.  They're just horrible -- some of them don't even have real faces.  You're lucky if you get 3 usable figures in a box of 12.

Yeh, what was up with those. Worst metal miniatures ever made, in the history of the world.  Most looked like little lumps of featureless metal. Some don't even have bases and can't stand up. I remember buying one box of these new and getting home and opening it and just shaking my head incredulously, thinking about what I could have done with the wasted money.  
   However, as crappy as the minis were, they came in a great box!  I still use a couple to this day for storage.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:34 am 

I was really disappointed with the TSR minis too...I remember using old transformers toys in place of those minis (offtopic but the best battle in memory was Shockwave and Bumblebee vs. the LJN carrion crawler and a couple of old chess pieces from some Franklin Mint civil war chess set...the ringer/ tie breaker was a Star Wars pez dispenser of Emperor Palpatine) ...but the products that I did not care for at all were the spellfire things. I also do not like the majority of the novels. Pretty puerile.

Still, the item that gets the assprize for Dork Factor 10 on the Crappometer is the one and only.....Fighting Wheel! Also known as the bloody stupid obnoxiousiest brainmangler from hell guaranteed to slow your game down to the speed of a sleeping slug... trapped..... in a bucket of.... molasses.... in January.... in Winnipeg.......guhhhh........

It's also my favourite item due to its aforementioned weirdness. I'm conflicted.

Bree-Yark!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:11 am 

MShipley88 wrote:This is fun!  Someone else mention something so we can all say it sucks!   :wink:

Mark  8)

(I'm sure, somewhere, there's someone who thought that the Giant modules sucked

Here!

Well, maybe not sucked, but definitely well below average, in my memory.

Room 1 - fight some giants, room 2 - fight some giants, room 3 - fight some giants, room 4 - unoccupied, room 5 - fight some giants...

The only thing I remember liking about them (read only, never played) was the orcish servants that I think were having a rebellion.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:06 pm 

Lorainne Williams. Apparently she sucked big time. So much so that she destoyed the entire Dungeons & Dragons game.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:03 pm 

mordrin wrote:Well, maybe not sucked, but definitely well below average, in my memory.

Room 1 - fight some giants, room 2 - fight some giants, room 3 - fight some giants, room 4 - unoccupied, room 5 - fight some giants...

The only thing I remember liking about them (read only, never played) was the orcish servants that I think were having a rebellion.

tsk

no creativity at all. if you are in a giants steading, what did you expect to be there?

one of the times i DM'd it, i still put it down to one of the best playing sessions i have ever seen. the team were amazingly creative and managed to actually get through it with minimum fuss and commotion - exactly as its meant to be, but generally never is.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:04 pm 

The Giant/Drow series was great - in its time. Back then, there were few other modules and nothing with an enduring campaign style adventure. That was AD&D. It was simpler (three hardcover books - that was it folks).

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:09 pm 

bbarsh wrote:The Giant/Drow series was great - in its time. Back then, there were few other modules and nothing with an enduring campaign style adventure. That was AD&D. It was simpler (three hardcover books - that was it folks).

I like it to, we played it 4 or 5 times due to lack of our own creativity

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:44 am 

I think we liked the Giant series because of the constant threat of defeat. Each encounter had the potential to end the adventure. It was a classic adventure. We had several characters buy the farm, but had the ability to raise dead or (rod of) resurrection them back. The whole thing was new ground - finally got fifth level spells, cool magic items, etc. Of course, the whole party got waxed in the Vault...but it was great while it lasted.

It took us at least two years  and several campaigns to get another party to the appropriate level to try again.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Previous