Worst Dungeons & Dragons product ever!!!
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:51 pm 

Deities & Demigods...

Giving stats to gods only encouraged years of PC's wanting to go god-hunting.

Ridiculous. I never allowed it in my campaigns, but a casual perusal of letters & forum posts in Dragon Magazine indicates the problem was rampant.

One of the many problems with 1st edition that we'd all like to forget.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:55 pm 

red_dawn wrote:Deities & Demigods...

Giving stats to gods only encouraged years of PC's wanting to go god-hunting.

Ridiculous. I never allowed it in my campaigns, but a casual perusal of letters & forum posts in Dragon Magazine indicates the problem was rampant.

One of the many problems with 1st edition that we'd all like to forget.

Yes I remember when I went away for holidays one summer and upon returning found out that one of the characters had killed Death and taken his sword for himself!!!(He won initiative don't you know)  Gods were mere playthings for the PC's at that point!

Here Zues, come on boy fetch the sword..............

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:35 pm 

red_dawn wrote:Deities & Demigods

Wow, that surprises me. I always thought that Deities was a great product — there was lots of cool artwork, some educational stuff about some religions I knew nothing about, and, of course, lots of bitchin' power-gaming stats. And, remember, the edition with the Cthulhu and Elric listings is really Super-Mondo-Way-Rare ... you can get, like, $1,000 for one. It was "banned," you know ... 8O

But your point about the runaway munchkin-ism is dead-on. That book just seemed to bring out the worst in everyone (bitch-slapping Elric and getting my hands on an official AD&D version of Stormbringer was one of my goals). I would argue that that sort of rampant power-gaming was more of a reflection on the players rather than the book, though. YMMV, of course.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:19 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
red_dawn wrote:Deities & Demigods

Wow, that surprises me. I always thought that Deities was a great product — there was lots of cool artwork, some educational stuff about some religions I knew nothing about, and, of course, lots of bitchin' power-gaming stats. And, remember, the edition with the Cthulhu and Elric listings is really Super-Mondo-Way-Rare ... you can get, like, $1,000 for one. It was "banned," you know ... 8O

But your point about the runaway munchkin-ism is dead-on. That book just seemed to bring out the worst in everyone (bitch-slapping Elric and getting my hands on an official AD&D version of Stormbringer was one of my goals). I would argue that that sort of rampant power-gaming was more of a reflection on the players rather than the book, though. YMMV, of course.

FWI,. I really like Deities & Demigods.  I alos loved UA, except for it may have been the worst bonded book in the history of mankind.  :roll:   Nothing like it when you 12 and a book you really like falls apart in your hands for no other reason then you had the audacity to open it. :(

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:30 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I would argue that that sort of rampant power-gaming was more of a reflection on the players rather than the book, though.

I'd say its more a factor of the DM for letting the players get away with that sort of munchkinism.  

"Ok, you killed Zeus' avatar.  As his body motionless body and possesions crackle, spark and then sublimate into a pillar of enery arcing skyward, you begin to feel that maybe, just maybe, you've gotten in over your head."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:04 pm 

Dude.  You weren't supposed to sick Zeus on the party.  Some DM's could not understand that....they were kids, afterall.  

However, it was EGG who went with the idea of a killable god.  He even set her up with a high AC and a glass jaw to make the killing that much more certain but still dramatic.

I learned a lot from Dieties and Demi-gods.  And, yes, I got Elric and all.

I think that Oriental Adventures must have been the worst binding job in history.  We used to joke that you had to turn your head away the first time you opened it or the pages could blow up in your face like a grenade.   :x

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:17 pm 

Here's a pointer that some might find useful.  After my first Unearthed Arcana completely fell apart, I removed the remaining glue and comb bound it in a clear plastic folder.  I still use it today without any further degradation.  The pages flip effortlessly and adding supplemental pages is easy too.

So, instead of throwing away those book that are falling apart, take them into a Kinko's, or anywhere else that you can find a binding machine, and presto, new life!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:20 pm 

No worries about me throwing out any books.  The only way I could bring myself to throw out a D&D book is if it has some irremovable bodily fluid such as the 3 Ps.  I was going to be witty and say that if someone gave me a 3rd edition D&D book, I would throw it out, but that wouldn't count because thats not really a D&D book anyway. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:30 pm 

Lordan wrote:
MShipley88 wrote:I never liked the *Complete* books....mostly because they only caused problems.

Have to agree with this 100%. I'm not a edition junkie ( like em all ) and actually enjoy 2nd edition ( I'ts all in the DM anyways :) ) but these books really caused more BS than anything else. Two words: Breach Gnomes  8O

The PHBRx series were all pretty darn bad.  They tended to promote low-quality roleplaying (whining, munchinism, min/maxing, rules lawyering, etc.) because they were targetted towards the players themselves.  

In comparison, the similar looking DMGRx supplements were rather useful and interesting.  Creative Campaigning and Monster Mythology were two of my favorites, some of the historical references weren't bad, either.  Because they were targetted towards DMs, they didn't hamper play the same way.

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:37 pm 

bclarkie wrote:No worries about me throwing out any books.  The only way I could bring myself to throw out a D&D book is if it has some irremovable bodily fluid such as the 3 Ps.

God help me, but I'm going to ask — there are three Ps?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:37 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Dude.  You weren't supposed to sick Zeus on the party.  Some DM's could not understand that....they were kids, afterall.  

However, it was EGG who went with the idea of a killable god.  He even set her up with a high AC and a glass jaw to make the killing that much more certain but still dramatic.

Well to be honest, Lolth was at best (worst?) a minor demi-goddess at any rate.  Still super powerful but by no means an Odin.

MShipley88 wrote:     I learned a lot from Dieties and Demi-gods.  And, yes, I got Elric and all.

Well, Deities and Demi-Gods was Ward & Kuntz, just like Supplement IV: Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes, and the forward to that book states that the gods aren't given stats for players to compare favorably to, they're given stats so DMs who've handed out treasure like it was going out of style begin to realize where the upper end limit was, or should have been.  Odin the all-father has a "mere" 300 hit points, when Gary & Co. were being innundated with stories about characters with thousands of HP, multiple swords of life-stealing, all 18's in stats, and so forth.

I think that Oriental Adventures must have been the worst binding job in history.  We used to joke that you had to turn your head away the first time you opened it or the pages could blow up in your face like a grenade.   :x

Mark  8)

I think the 20th Century Imports' were better bound than most post-Monster Manual II books.  8O

Last edited by DungeonDelver on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:51 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
bclarkie wrote:No worries about me throwing out any books.  The only way I could bring myself to throw out a D&D book is if it has some irremovable bodily fluid such as the 3 Ps.

God help me, but I'm going to ask — there are three Ps?

Pee, Poop, & Puke(keeping it as clean as possible). :wink:  Those 3 would religate a book to the trash.  I imagine that if some how bile or an over amount of phlemage(is this even a word?  :lol: ) was involved that might make them trash worthy as well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:11 pm 

bclarkie wrote:No worries about me throwing out any books.  The only way I could bring myself to throw out a D&D book is if it has some irremovable bodily fluid such as the 3 Ps.  I was going to be witty and say that if someone gave me a 3rd edition D&D book, I would throw it out, but that wouldn't count because thats not really a D&D book anyway. :P

OK...I'll take the bait.

You guys sound like your fathers.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:11 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Pee, Poop, & Puke(keeping it as clean as possible). :wink:  Those 3 would religate a book to the trash.  I imagine that if some how bile or an over amount of phlemage(is this even a word?  :lol: ) was involved that might make them trash worthy as well.

Those are all forms of acid damage.  Perhaps I need to move acid down to "Poor" with the fire types:  :?
http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=41431#41431

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:17 am 

I never had a problem of OA falling apart. UA, not enough duck-tape to hold that mother together. I found that OE to be poorly written, but I love UA.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:33 am 

Zippanthropus wrote:I never had a problem of OA falling apart. UA, not enough duck-tape to hold that mother together. I found that OE to be poorly written, but I love UA.

My OA is in fairly pristine condition.  (That's a new one for the eBay listings -- "fairly pristine" = "not falling apart".)  I bought it just to complete my orange spines.  UA tends to suffer more because it was actually used.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:21 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
Zippanthropus wrote:I never had a problem of OA falling apart. UA, not enough duck-tape to hold that mother together. I found that OE to be poorly written, but I love UA.

My OA is in fairly pristine condition.  (That's a new one for the eBay listings -- "fairly pristine" = "not falling apart".)  I bought it just to complete my orange spines.  UA tends to suffer more because it was actually used.

We have a "Frankenstein" OA with two 1/4" bolts holding the pages into the cover :lol:

seriously

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:48 pm 

UA tends to suffer more because it was actually used.

Ahhhh ha ha ha! ROTFLMAO JPMP! Now that is funny! and true.

PreviousNext