Worst Dungeons & Dragons product ever!!!
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:36 am 

Ok, enough of the "favorite first module" and "best adventure of all time".  I am struggling with two different Monstrous Compendiums right now and almost all of the additional MC supplements which have been somehow shoved into  the Volume I & II binders (though the Volume II binder is actually for the Volume IV Dragonlance compendium. . .)

Even though this owner kept his items in fairly nice shape,  I now have 4 of these binders lying about.  They are - in every possible way - a complete pain in the ass.

My impressions on this crappy product:

- Binders, in general, are a completely lame and inept design for a product.  They don't last, the pages become easily damaged, misplaced and lost.  The binder "rings" damage the cover, the "holes" tear, the tabs bend - they just generally suck. . .

- They are awkward sized, a pain to store, transport or use.  They don't even freakin' lie flat!!!

- They have no "aesthetic" appeal.  I can really appreciate a nice, new hardcover book.  There is something in it that reminds me of ancient books and the power of creativity and imagination. . . Binders remind me of boring high school classes and homework.

- And they are a pain in the ass to resell, to photograph and to grade accurately.

In sum, they completely suck and they get my vote as the worst product (product line) ever produced for Dungeons & Dragons (hell, I would say "ever produced by TSR!  I liked the Indiana Jones RPG more than the Compendiums).

Is there any competition out there for the Compendiums?  Feel free to sound off if you have anything that stokes your inner ire the way these do mine!

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:43 am 

The compendiums do indeed suck.  I was actively playing for a bit of the 2nd edition era, and I flat-out refused to purchase any of the 2nd ed MMs.  What a bunch of crap.

You might want to amend your question to be print products only, otherwise, your answer is "the movie", and the thread is over.  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:55 am 

mordrin wrote:The compendiums do indeed suck.  I was actively playing for a bit of the 2nd edition era, and I flat-out refused to purchase any of the 2nd ed MMs.  What a bunch of crap.

You might want to amend your question to be print products only, otherwise, your answer is "the movie", and the thread is over.  :lol:

The sequal to D&D (no joke) ... I never saw the first.. will supposedly co - star Paris Hilton (no joke again).

So I think the first D&D movie will lose its first place position on the charts very soon.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:21 pm 

Part of the "appeal" of the compendiums was that you could buy new sets and then combine them... except you really couldn't since you wouldn't be able to alphabetize them properly with monsters in each set printed on both the back and front sheets.  

Worst D&D "whatever" of all time is probably the movie.  

Worst D&D adventure of all time would be the Ruins of Undermountain box set.  A bunch of maps with very little description of the contents of all those rooms.  Basically the DM spends a chunk of money and then has to spend hours upon hours attempting to flesh out some TSR cartographer's map of rooms.  Advertising it as a complete mega-dungeon adventure was pretty close to false advertising.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:21 pm 

The worst waste of cash was the 2 volume set of magic item lists revealed to the gaming world with the name of Enclyclopedia Magica.  What a waste of money, a list of items and a reference to where to find them.  ARGHH!!  I actually spent money on that crap.

Also, how about the hip and trendy player packs.  These geek ridden devices help to label our fine players.  Imagine actually using one of these and carrying it around in public; and they cost around $18.00 each at the time.  What is inside you ask, well how about a random miniature pack, a couple of character sheets, some crappy dice, a very crappy pencil, and a stupid looking palstic carry case.  THank god these were terrible sellers and never re-printed.  Yes a have a complete set of these as well.

Good Hunting!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:25 pm 

LOL!  I would have to say the movie.  The only positive was the attractive babe (I refer to the female while my friend Deadlord may of course be attracted to the big bald blue-lipsticked guy  :lol:  8O  :wink: ).....need to insert a smiley with big blue lips blowing Frank a kiss here...

P.S.  The binders do indeed suck...very poor idea tank.

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:45 pm 

The worse idea TSR ever had to was to allow the Forgotten Realms to become the default setting for the AD&D universe. What did we get with the proliferation of Realms products: source-books/coffee table books disquised as modules; rule books written at the 6th grade reading level; splat books (read: class books) that were 90% fluff, 10% useable content; etcetera, etecetera, etcetera. I could go on, but I must flee posthaste to the bathroom, for all this talk of the Realms is forcing bile up my throat.

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:16 am 

My nominations:

#10 Polly S Ankheg Underside Pink Paint:  The only official pink paint for AD&D; its uses are neverending!  Every single ankheg you own can now have a sparkling, accurately pink underside carapace.

#9 11-485 Green Slime Ral Partha miniature:  Finely sculpted for the ultimate authenticity of pose; accept only the best!

#8 Spellfire card game:  Horrid attempt to compete with Magic; the beginning of the end

#7 WG7 Castle Greyhawk:  Crapped on the legacy of the best gameworld ever, once its creator could no longer defend it

#6 Heart Quest books:  Fantasy romances for pining teenage girls -- not the best way to encourage them to enter the hobby

#5 CA Reed Lord Soth tablecloth:  You too can eat off the face of the disgraced paladin himself!

#4 Pogs:  The finest TSR artists have their works displayed in the most degrading way possible

#3 Warduke Halloween costume:  Look at me!  I represent the best that D&D has to offer!

#2 Amurol Troglodyte candy box:  Tastes just like what's on the box!

Drum roll …

#1 Dungeons & Dragons -- the movie:  No comment required

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:32 pm 

That's a great list by DS... just not quite sure why the Green Slime made number nine.  It's better than the Grenadier AD&D gold line ochre jelly which was a lump of lead with an eye...  

Misfire, er... Spellfire, deserves high placement.  Indeed, the beginning of the end for TSR.  

And I'd actually pay a lot of money for a Lord Soth tablecloth, it's uber kitsch.  And I'm ashamed to admit it but I'm such a completist I actually have the set of Heartquest books.  You never know, they might come in handy for kindling one day.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:15 pm 

Aside from the D&D Movie.... (which is on it's on it's own demi-plane of Suck)

Invisible Ink Modules!  SUCKAGE!

Monstrous Compendium Binders. ABOMINATION!

Worst Module - B3!

-------------------------------------------------

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:37 pm 

Dragonlance.  Signifying the beginning of the end as far as I'm concerned.

All the other wind and piss was a direct descendant of this abomination. :evil:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:34 pm 

darkseraphim wrote:
#7 WG7 Castle Greyhawk:  Crapped on the legacy of the best gameworld ever, once its creator could no longer defend it

:?:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:30 pm 

Dragonlance. Signifying the beginning of the end as far as I'm concerned.

All the other wind and piss was a direct descendant of this abomination.

I didn't care for DL, but come on...there were a lot worse things out there.  "Hollow World" & "Spelljammer" come to mind immediately.  Besides, that's an entire campaign world, unless *shudder* they actually came out with a Dragon Lance.

My vote has to go to pretty much anything with "Complete" in the title, but then I'm a little bit old-school.  I know I'll get crucified for this one, but I think S1 was a horrible module, too, unless you were the DM.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:12 pm 

I appreciate everyone's flow of contempt thus far. . . however, I would like to stress that "the movie" (or in the tradition of Mr. Potter & co. "the film that shall not be named") does not count.

By mentioning it, you are only giving it the power to exist.  "The film that shall not be named" must vanish from our thoughts.  It can not be horrible, for it is not truly real.

Wipe it from you minds, banish it from your text and eradicate any copies of it from your lives.

May it forever be lost from memory and dwell on the Demiplane of Suck with Highlander II: The Quickening,  Superman IV: The Quest for Peace and the frozen remains of Pauly Shore.

:twisted:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:02 am 

Forgotten Realms was never the "default" campaign, it was always Greyhawk.  FR was merely the most prolific (which makes sense, at it sold best).  And Ruins of Undermountain wasn't THAT bad.

I'm still rather amazed that they sell character sheets.  And I'm totally amazed they tried to sell the 3e Map Folio which is (drumroll please) a compendium of maps...  which were released via the WotC site...  for free... (HOW did marketing okay this?).  I'm also amazed that post-1998 or so they kept selling character sheets...  I mean, every group I've ever seen just downloads them and prints some off.

I'd have to say Mystara was by far the worst of the campaign worlds.  Stupid attempt to hash out the default later D&D world (which itself was built piecemeal).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:59 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I know I'll get crucified for this one, but I think S1 was a horrible module, too, unless you were the DM.

I know what you mean about S1.  I remember the build up to playing this and got the 18MU if I remember correctly.  None of us had characters anywhere near the level required.  But as it turned out, we got creamed in the first session.  Hardly made it past the front door.

Turned out to be a good read though.

Did anyone actually complete S1?  Legitimately?  Without reading it first?  Honest? I don't believe you!  Or you had a DM that was a soft touch.

But you can't persuade me about DL.  I don't think the we would have had all the other tosh without it.  As for a Dragon Lance, maybe there is a development mock up waiting to be discovered.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:07 am 

Everyone's been talking about how bad the Monstrous Compendium was... I thought I'd add how bad its replacement was: The Monstrous Manual! While returning back to the hardback format was nice...

The art in there is gawdawful! What TSR hack approved those sketches?! Were they paying a nickel a monster?

As mediocre as the art was in the various Monstrous Compendium  publications, it was leagues ahead of that crapola. And the MC was noble at least in the concept: With new monsters being added to the game almost daily, it was nice to keep them together in one place. Pages could easily be photocopied, without distressing your hardback copy. Unfortunately, the execution was poor. I still believe that -- with money spent on better materials (quality binder, reinforced sheets) -- the MC products could have been a winner.

Ah, well...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:05 pm 

Ok, John grabbed DragonLance before I got to this list, so I am gonna go for my second choice...

Spellfire...

Yeah, not really D&D but it had a giant hand in destroying it. Game was and is garbage (Spellfire fans just skip this post).

But DragonLance WAS the beginning of the end. 16 modules of crap. I'd play X1 over any of those pieces of shit.

Side note: I personally liked Hollow World - the modules were kinda crappy, but the overall concept was very playable.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Next