Auction-Ending Offers
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:24 pm 

Roll her over. I like that, Bill, you think like I do. That is, after all, why God invented doggie style. So the ugly ones could be serviced too.

I'd gladly make a deal. Shut down the Interesting Items thread and I will cease to e-mail sellers. I wouldn't HAVE to.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:37 pm 

mordrin wrote:This seems to be a contentious issue, but I'm not versed in how they work.

Having never sold on eBay or participated in an 'auction-ending' offer, I'm curious -

When someone says "I'll give you $X to end the auction now", what happens then?

Is the transaction then performed outside of eBay/PayPal without feedback or protection?

And does eBay then get no % of the sale (thus meaning that both the buyer+seller used eBay's service to conduct their business, but are paying them nothing in return)?

Hi Mordrin - now I am just thinking back a ways here. . . but didn't you win a Module from me back in early April?  Since it was only a $2.50 item you inquired about a possible trade. As an alternative,  I mentioned that I had a few items up for auction that didn't have any bids and I would sell them to you for the opening price and end the auction.  I believe it was the Rogues Gallery for 2nd edition AD&D and DLS4 Wild Elves.  I belive I had you just add the extra $5.50 to your Paypal payment and I ended the auctions.  (I do keep good records!)

:D  :)  :D  :)  :D  :)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:34 pm 

I'd forgotten about that.  Technically, you've got me I guess...let me amend that to "I've never asked a seller to end an auction early".

I wasn't particularly worried about security, given that they were low-priced items, coming from a forum member, and I was getting an item in the same batch via eBay where I could give negative if need be.

I also wasn't very concerned about fairness to other buyers, since there were no bidders yet and they were not highly-collectible+rare items by any stretch.

The part about eBay's cut never even occured to me at the time, since the seller always handles it, and I haven't ever sold anything.

beyondthebreach wrote:
mordrin wrote:This seems to be a contentious issue, but I'm not versed in how they work.

Having never sold on eBay or participated in an 'auction-ending' offer, I'm curious -

When someone says "I'll give you $X to end the auction now", what happens then?

Is the transaction then performed outside of eBay/PayPal without feedback or protection?

And does eBay then get no % of the sale (thus meaning that both the buyer+seller used eBay's service to conduct their business, but are paying them nothing in return)?

Hi Mordrin - now I am just thinking back a ways here. . . but didn't you win a Module from me back in early April?  Since it was only a $2.50 item you inquired about a possible trade. As an alternative,  I mentioned that I had a few items up for auction that didn't have any bids and I would sell them to you for the opening price and end the auction.  I believe it was the Rogues Gallery for 2nd edition AD&D and DLS4 Wild Elves.  I belive I had you just add the extra $5.50 to your Paypal payment and I ended the auctions.  (I do keep good records!)

:D  :)  :D  :)  :D  :)

Previous