How is Noble Knight?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:39 am 

I've seen the long threads about T&T.  How is NK?

I get concerned because all I see on NK are stock photos.  Yet they don't seem to get the level of complaints that T&T does.

What are your thoughts about buying from NK?

George

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:01 pm 

I buy from NKG from time to time.  I find that their prices, on the average especially for rares, are quite a bit higher than Ebay, but not as high as Troll & Toad.  They do a great job of describing the product and their shipping is top notch.  I wasnt aware that NKG used stock photos though.  Most of the stuff I have purchased I received in exactly the same condition it showed in the photo.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:40 pm 

Stock photos, but accurate grading and good customer service before a sale (if you have questions) and after (if you have a problem).

If you're comfortable with the price of an item, they're safe to deal with.  Aaron knows what he's doing.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 pm 

NKG are one of my preferred online stores. They don't lie about the condition of their products. They don't screw people on shipping, and they have first class customer service. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a good online shopping experience.

I doubt anyone would be willing to say that about T&T.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 pm 

I have bought a lot of stuff from NK over the years and been happy with it.  Although lately, the prices for the things I'm interested in have been marked up quite high to the point where I won't buy them.  Not to mention the cost of shipping has jumped through the roof so buying a couple items from NK generally means a hefty shipping bill too.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:07 pm 

Echo the statements above.
Have purchased a bunch of things from NKG over the years.
As far as I know they only use Stock Photos on items in SW, or Mint condition.
I have NO problem with that.

On other items they use photos of the actual item and describe that item well enough for a bidder to know what they will get.
And the winning bidder WILL GET what NKGs described in the listing.
I have never been unsatisfied.

On the other hand, T&T Uses stock photos and stock descriptions for EVERYTHING they list.
EVERYTHING!
And too often the description is simply WRONG, or invalid, or short of having enough detail to trust it.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:20 pm 

We've had great service from NK for years and keep going back  :D

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:24 pm 

Thanks.  Based on the replies, I'll go ahead and purchase some items.  :)

However, I have noticed many stock photos even on items listed as Good, VG, Fair, etc.  Maybe they have changed their approach a little bit.

I've been pondering some Arduin items, along with some OGRE items.  And nearly everything says Stock Photo.

But from the feedback here, it sounds like they're trustworthy and professional.

Geo

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm 

If you wanted to see actual pictures for some items, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't provide them.  Ask.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:35 pm 

I have been a customer of Noble Knight Games for many years and have always had good experiences with Aaron Leeder and his staff. For the most part I have found NNG prices to be fair for common items, not significantly more than ebay stores or auction rates. Item descriptions and conditions are accurate but I will typically ask for confirmation regarding condition and/or availability if unsure. Furthermore, the staff is quite knowledgable in all things rpg. For example, if i find items ebay where the seller's description is ambiguous, I ask Aaron if it should be shrinkwrapped, what the contents should be, etc.

I have delt with Troll and Toad before and while their prices can be a bit steep, I have not had any problems with them either. I have always received my items from TnT quickly and in the condition advertised, although I always write the patrons about condition and availability first.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:44 pm 

TheHistorian wrote:If you wanted to see actual pictures for some items, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't provide them.  Ask.

Good advise.
That is what I would do too.

Also agree about T&T, at least partially anyway.
As long as you limit your purchases from them to low end items I think you would be fine.
I have purchased several low end items from them and only once did I have to complain.
They made that right and it only took me about 6 different E-Mails sent  to various persons in various departments at T&T.
So it only took about a month to get a replacement copy of that item from them. :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:45 pm 

I like them. First rate in my book.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 pm 

Yes nothing but good things to say about Aaron and Noble Knight from me too.  Items listed as NM, Mint, or SW mean exactly that.  If you have specific questions about other conditions listed, completeness, or printing of an item just ask and you will get a quick response.  Like another poster said if you are comfortable with paying the price on an item, then you can buy with confidence.

Who says my inspiration was D&D?  That was just a background phenomenon.
                                          -- Ken St. Andre

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:31 pm 

I agree, NKG is a class act. I actually have had quite a large percentage of orders with "issues". About 1/4, in fact; misgraded items a couple of times, a Dwarven Forge set missing some pieces, stuff like that--I assume my experience is atypical in that regard. I say this not as a criticism, but to emphasize my next statement... Every single time I've complained about a problem, like 5 times mind you, Aaron has responded personally within a few hours and made it right, whatever that took (finding the missing pieces, refunding down to the correct grade, etc.).

They do always use stock photos, but if the description is detailed and you know you're in good hands (contrast with T&T) then that's okay by me.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:54 pm 

Excellent.  I'll place my order!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:54 pm 

Noble Knight has some decent prices on common items. As for their expensive items, well I don't buy them, but I do not begrudge them the right to ask what they want (they just won't get my money for items I know I can get cheaper with a little patience).

NK's grading is excellent and in my experience shipping is quick and the packing is almost USPS proof from damage (though the post office does go to great lengths to bend and mutilate packages. They left three boxes out in the rain for me yesterday just to show that a good packaging job needs a sealed plastic bag as well as any padding to protect corners).

Since people are mentioning Troll & Toad, I find their grading sometimes questionable, but their shipping and packaging has been excellent in my experience.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:27 pm 

I'd back up most of this, just had my second order from them.  They have very fair shipping prices to UK and well packed.  Just had a fairly cheap Tomb of Abysthor in VG condition from them, this is far better than a usual VGC from many of my eBay purchases, I'd have graded at VFN...  Very happy!!!!   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:29 pm 

MetamorphosisSigma wrote:I agree, NKG is a class act. I actually have had quite a large percentage of orders with "issues". About 1/4, in fact; misgraded items a couple of times, a Dwarven Forge set missing some pieces, stuff like that--I assume my experience is atypical in that regard. I say this not as a criticism, but to emphasize my next statement... Every single time I've complained about a problem, like 5 times mind you, Aaron has responded personally within a few hours and made it right, whatever that took (finding the missing pieces, refunding down to the correct grade, etc.).

They do always use stock photos, but if the description is detailed and you know you're in good hands (contrast with T&T) then that's okay by me.

I have made several orders from Noble Knight.

Two were perfect transactions.

The third included multiple, glaring problems, for which I received $20 store credit.

I would rate Noble Knight's overall reliability as excellent.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Next