Collecting Goals
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:29 pm 

I pretty much collect all things D&D, with no particular focus except grabbing up whatever affordable item falls into my path.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:08 am 

I've settled in on collecting AD&D 1e items, along with some B/X and OD&D key items.

I'm very tempted to start on some of these:
-OGRE/Chitin (Microgames)
-Gamma World
-Arduin
-Star Fleet Battles
-Starship Troopers game
-War of the Ring (1977 LOTR game)

I have to admit, my collecting is pretty much for nostalgic reasons.  The above are all games from my youth.  I remember very well playing with my brother and a couple friends.  Good times.   :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:00 am 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:And I have no doubt that I will never own Ultra Rare, and unique items and will not even try (mostly).
There are several Ultra Rare items that I do not have a care about owning.
ST1 Up the Garden Path being just one of those.

I do not collect any rare TSR too. Actually I do not collect TSR. I have some TSR products, but mostly common/uncommon ones.

I am in a pretty similar way of collecting to Mars:

Mars wrote:At some point I branched out into nonTSR stuff as well have really enjoyed the small press stuff.  I enjoy the hunt for things and with such a broad range of things to collect it means that if I see something that seems like a good deal, I will generally pick it up.
Although more specifically, my main collecting focus is all small press RPGs.

My 2 other main focuses are:

- To get all french RPGs / RPG-related productions ever made during the 80's. I am nearly close for official publications (only few items are missing in my collection). For fanzines, it is more complicated, too many different fanzines and some are known only in city where the association ran the fanzine.
- To get a complete collection of CoC items from in 1981 to late 90's. Not 3rd millennary products. With all US/UK and french products, and all limited foreign products (like the limited German edition of the rule book, limited to 666 copies, and which was used as base for the US 20th anniversary edition)

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:51 pm 

My collecting goals are pretty simple-1st, 2nd and 3.0/3.5 official TSR/Wizards AD&D products.
I'm not really interested in stuff outside the TSR/Wizards line, nor am I interested in D&D, Gamma World, etc.
Keeping the goals manageable ensure that I might actually achieve them someday.

If you believe that ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS is a game worth playing, you will certainly find it doubly so if you play well.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:52 pm 

Thanks to a recent purchase, I am massively closer to one of my goals. I am still very far off, but at least I'm beginning to believe it is possible.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:18 pm 

I've actually met most of my collecting goals, which were focused on (1) early D&D/AD&D materials (~1980 and earlier), (2) early TSR wargames (Boot Hill, Cavaliers & Roundheads, Chainmail, Cordite & Steel; just today I got "Don't Give up the Ship" in the mail), (3) The Fantasy Trip materials, including all magazine articles with TFT subjects, and (4) all other Metagaming games and related.

Still looking for Space Gamer #1 (and a couple of others, but mostly that one), Warriors of Mars, an early print of Greyhawk Supp 1, and a few other miscellaneous cats and dogs.

My collecting motivation is partially nostalgia, partially a desire to get early prints of stuff, and partially for historical research.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:24 pm 

Charles G. wrote:Still looking for Space Gamer #1 (and a couple of others, but mostly that one), Warriors of Mars, an early print of Greyhawk Supp 1, and a few other miscellaneous cats and dogs.

The first of those still seems to be the most awkward of the three: good luck; I don't recall seeing more than half a dozen copies over the years.
(Do you need protective gloves to be catching cats and dogs?)

Charles G. wrote:My collecting motivation is partially nostalgia, partially a desire to get early prints of stuff, and partially for historical research.

Cool! :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:10 am 

When I first started "collecting" (pre eBay), my goal was simply to have a copy of every book and module I remembered playing with/DMing back when I first started playing AD&D in the early '80s. After that was accomplished, I set a new goal which was to have a copy of every item that had anything to do with the Greyhawk campaign setting, regardless of which edition of (A)D&D it was printed for. Since I have reached that goal, I have been rather directionless in my collecting, mainly buying things that I like, catch my eye, or just look cool. I mostly focus on "official" TSR/WoTC products, and the vast majority of my collection is pre 3rd edition. I try to buy the best condition items I can find, but I'm not above filling my blank spaces with "play copies", if I cannot find a collectable condition item. While I sometimes buy items in shrinkwrap, I never leave the shrinkwrap on, because I do not consider this an investment, just a fun hobby, and I like reading the things I buy.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:21 pm 

Doug Williams wrote:Since I have reached that goal, I have been rather directionless in my collecting, mainly buying things that I like, catch my eye, or just look cool. I mostly focus on "official" TSR/WoTC products, and the vast majority of my collection is pre 3rd edition.

Out of interest, is it a positive factor where there is an inventory to aim for or a community focused around particular items, or is that really primarily a case of "catch my eye/looks cool/good reading"? Sometimes I get the feeling that it's easier (and cheaper?) /not/ to follow such.

Doug Williams wrote:While I sometimes buy items in shrinkwrap, I never leave the shrinkwrap on, because I do not consider this an investment, just a fun hobby, and I like reading the things I buy.

*yay!* :D

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:29 pm 

faro wrote:Out of interest, is it a positive factor where there is an inventory to aim for or a community focused around particular items, or is that really primarily a case of "catch my eye/looks cool/good reading"? Sometimes I get the feeling that it's easier (and cheaper?) /not/ to follow such.

Well, I certainly tend to spend more money when I have a concrete goal, such as when I was focused on collecting all Greyhawk material. Sometimes, however, you see something that you absolutely *must* have, such as "for me" the Tomb of Horrors box set, or "A Paladin in Hell" module. So, yes, I think you are correct, it *is* easier and cheaper to only buy the things that catch your fancy rather than saying something like "I will buy every Forgotten Realms item that ever saw print", for instance...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:45 pm 

It's taken a couple of years being away from this awesome hobby to realize what my direction is.  And it's not surprising, given my age (45).

I am fascinated with OD&D.

The early sets of rules are my primary fascination: Chainmail, Wilderness Survival, and the White Box + GH, BM, EW, GDGH, and SS. I own all of those, but there are still a lot of holes in my collection.  For instance, I've never owned (or seen) the errata sheets from the white box.  And I'm also eager to own related rules and supplementary material from Strategic Review, Dragon and other vendors, like JG.

I include the very earliest Monster Manual editions in this group; but only those with "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" centered at the top of the front cover. I also want to own that really weird hybrid with "Advanced D&D" with a yellow stripe and "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" on the spine.  It was the one I used back in the day and it got stolen in college.

I also include the basic/expert/companion, etc boxed sets and all the modules labeled "Dungeons & Dragons" that went along with these sets.

I don't know if it's historically correct to label these latter materials "OD&D", but that is the way I distinguish the material that is appealing to me from the various AD&D editions and WoTC editions.

Thank you and goodnight.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:49 pm 

Correction: Reference Sheets, not Errata Sheets.

I'm not as young as I used to be.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:50 pm 

Keith the Thief wrote:I include the very earliest Monster Manual editions in this group; but only those with "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" centered at the top of the front cover. I also want to own that really weird hybrid with "Advanced D&D" with a yellow stripe and "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" on the spine.  It was the one I used back in the day and it got stolen in college.

I see these MM's pop up from time to time on Ebay. You can kind of narrow it down from the angled banner on the cover, since the font has an outline.
If you're patient, then I think you'll be able to just keep emailing sellers on Ebay when you see the MM's come up with outlined letters and ask specifically what the printing it mentions on the title page. You should be able to pick this up for less than $20, maybe even as low as $10.

If you want to really get to the nitty gritty with the printing versions, check out this thread, a little more than halfway down. This is the current list of those printing variations.
viewtopic.php?t=3266&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:08 pm 

Ah, very cool!
Thank you for posting that link.  That's exactly what I needed to know.

I'm also pleasantly surprised to hear about those prices.  I've been away from collecting long enough that I've lost my feel for pricing.

Sure would love to have a copy of that one weird MM edition, but I don't want to shell out a fortune for it.  It's just for nostalgia.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:59 am 

Doug Williams wrote:When I first started "collecting" (pre eBay), my goal was simply to have a copy of every book and module I remembered playing with/DMing back when I first started playing AD&D in the early '80s. After that was accomplished, I set a new goal which was to have a copy of every item that had anything to do with the Greyhawk campaign setting, regardless of which edition of (A)D&D it was printed for. Since I have reached that goal, I have been rather directionless in my collecting, mainly buying things that I like, catch my eye, or just look cool. I mostly focus on "official" TSR/WoTC products, and the vast majority of my collection is pre 3rd edition. I try to buy the best condition items I can find, but I'm not above filling my blank spaces with "play copies", if I cannot find a collectable condition item. While I sometimes buy items in shrinkwrap, I never leave the shrinkwrap on, because I do not consider this an investment, just a fun hobby, and I like reading the things I buy.

That's about the same way I started. First, I collected the ones I played, then I collected the ones I wish I played, which meant collecting the WG and FR worlds. For me, a shift from nostalgia to curiosity, I guess. And now ... I think it's library/archiving to complete things as much as possible. Funny, it seems the more I learn, the more I want, and the less complete everything is!

Gary

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:47 am 

Doug Williams wrote:While I sometimes buy items in shrinkwrap, I never leave the shrinkwrap on, because I do not consider this an investment, just a fun hobby, and I like reading the things I buy.

Ouch.  Don't know whether I like the idea of this or not :?:
Having thought about it......if you have shrink copy why dont you swap the with someone on here for a Mint/NM copy without the shrink?  You will have two happy peeps then:)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:17 am 

simonmwh wrote:  
Having thought about it......if you have shrink copy why dont you swap the with someone on here for a Mint/NM copy without the shrink?  You will have two happy peeps then:)

Because every time I make that offer, I get no takers.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:35 am 

simonmwh wrote:  

I would happily do that, especially for modules that have the staples hidden by the cardboard module cover. On more than one occasion, I have deshrinked a module only to find the staples badly rusted to the point that the insert and inside of the module cover had large orange stains. To me, a fairly graded Near Mint copy of an item with hidden staples that is out of the shrinkwrap is worth more than the same item shrinkwrapped.

Previous