Collecting Goals
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 pm 

ExTSR wrote:I just want one of each boardgame published in the USA in the 20th century. (Then I'll start on the 19th century.)

All this roleplaying stuff is just 'on the side'. ;>

FM

Hope you have a 2nd 'warehouse' scoped out!  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 pm 

A bit off-topic, but semi-related:

Are 1st prints of modules any rarer or more highly valued than later prints?

For fairly common modules (say, the D-series or G-series), is a 1st print worth more, and rarer, than say a 3rd print?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:45 pm 

gvaughn1 wrote:-Frank Frazetta (would like to own some of his art)

Geo

Here's your big chance  :D

http://fineart.ha.com/common/view_item. ... t_No=87143

Next bid is $120....THOUSAND!!!! (And really it's $143k when you factor in the buyer's premium) :lol:

btw, my goal's been to collect 1st ed AD&D stuff, and some 2e, but honestly the more I got involved, the more I began to branch out. I've picked up various 3e/3.5e works based on reviews of what people on here have mentioned (TSR and non-TSR). Hands down, the most fun thing has been the art.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:57 pm 

misterspock wrote:
Here's your big chance  :D

http://fineart.ha.com/common/view_item. ... t_No=87143

Next bid is $120....THOUSAND!!!! (And really it's $143k when you factor in the buyer's premium) :lol:

Thanks Mr. Spock!

I'd gladly buy it, but I can't seem to locate my checkbook (or my Paypal password..)  :o

By the way, that is a beautiful painting!   :D

For some reason, I always think of Boris Vallejo and Frank Frazetta as being Fantasy competitors.  I don't know why, I just do.  But to me, Frank's stuff is better.  Vallejo's paintings can be so realistic it's almost like viewing a photo, but Frazetta just has that STYLE!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:51 am 

gvaughn1 wrote:A bit off-topic, but semi-related:

For fairly common modules (say, the D-series or G-series), is a 1st print worth more, and rarer, than say a 3rd print?

For the most part 1st Prints are a lot of collectors goal.
And yes, 1st Prints are harder to find than later Prints.

As I understand it, one of the main reasons early STR products needed additional Print Runs is that TSR short printed the first runs of new products, not knowing how well they would sell.
Especially Modules.
Not so much Rules books.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:56 am 

I collect for use, for the most part that means picking up rule books, modules or supplements and seeing what I can strip out of them for my own campaign. I don't care about condition with the exceptions that the items must be legible and free of any mold or mildew (and Im not a fan of moisture wrinkling).

I also collect complete campaign systems so I can index them. Go through them and make reference notes and organize them so I can later create an encyclopedic reference for the campaign. I was able to index most published references to the Greyhawk campaign for 1st and 2nd edition AD&D and the Gygax novels. Jolly Blackburn sent me all the Hackmaster material several years ago and I was able to create an index for that setting as well, up to that point it was a complete index of all published material.

With that idea in mind I am currently collecting Judges Guild material. On the one hand I want a complete collection to index it, but on the other I owned and used Judges Guild since it was originally published and I have a great love for the setting. I can find enough use out of almost any Judges Guild fantasy release to want to own a copy, and some are the treasures of my gaming collection such as Dark Tower, City State of the Invincible Overlord, or even Frontier Forts of Kelnore.

So I do not collect rares to own rares (but I do love the treasure hunt aspect of collecting, and many rare gaming items have passed through my hands over the last 30+ years as many people who remember rec.games.frp.marketplace from the mid-90s can attest).

With the ability to scan material and keep electronic copies I am trying to move into the world of pdfs and such. I hope to see every scrap of gaming material make into a vast and accesable electronic library one day. That won't end my collecting of hard copies, but it will let me browse material I would never want to own and to my mind it would be the ultimate collection.

That being said I understand (and have profited from) those collectors who love the idea of an item, kept perfect or shrinkwrapped, and not flattened, torn, stained and worn down by use.

Other than published material I love reading through homebrewed material, DMs logs that have been filled out, heavily noted modules, hand drawn maps and filled out character sheets. I love seeing where imagination has taken other DMs and players. How the magic of this game has worked its wonders on people other than myself.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:57 am 

I collect miniatures more than printed material, with a few goals to work on:

Superior Models - I'm trying to complete both the 25mm Wizards & Lizards and 90mm Fantasy lines. It's been a fun project to date, and the only frustrating part has been trying to secure a Superior catalog. Haven't seen nary a one over the past two years  8O

Finieous Fingers "Phigures" - I only need Kask and Grond to finish my set!

Monsters - the guys I've gamed with for 25+ years know my signature phrase by heart "You can never have too many giants!" The many and varied creatures I collect and paint are intended to actually game with, and not just sit in a display case. And even though some of the older minis are kind of odd (like the Grenadier wight with the fur-trimmed cape and Don King hairdo), they are happy reminders of many a session from decades past.

Characters - I have most of my old character minis, so there are very few older PC minis I look for. These days, when we roll up a new party, I'll pick out and paint Reaper minis that best represent each party member.

Paper Stuff - Right now, I'm almost done with my two current goals: my Birthright collection and my 3.5 FR collection. Those two goals aside, I'm not really focused on anything in particular, as I kept most of my books/modules/etc from when I was young - now I look for random stuff (the cheaper the better) like Star Fleet Battles [games that I played as a kid with my late brother], Traveller [games that I played with another gaming group], Mutant Chronicles [games that I was introduced to on the job]. If I ever acquire any of the truly rare items, it will be luck and not deep pockets that get me there ;)

As Jason noted above, I too enjoy the treasure hunt aspect of collecting. I've bought many lots of unidentified minis, and love sorting through them to see what I need or can use. It's also interesting to see what kind of minis other people collected and painted.

If I ever find a couple million dollars sitting around, I'd like to open my own museum dedicated to fantasy miniatures. Then I'll REALLY be in trouble!

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:56 am 

I'm now at about a decade of collecting D&D and I have to say that my collecting goals have changed quite a bit.  I started with 1st Edition D&D, then branched out to include 2nd Edition and other TSR items.

At some point I branched out into nonTSR stuff as well have really enjoyed the small press stuff.  I enjoy the hunt for things and with such a broad range of things to collect it means that if I see something that seems like a good deal, I will generally pick it up.  Due to a large volume of stuff coming into my lair because of this philosophy, it also seems that I have bridged the gap into being a reseller.

Although more specifically, my main collecting focus is all small press RPGs.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 am 

gvaughn1 wrote:A bit off-topic, but semi-related:

Rarer?  That would depend on the print run for any specific printing, so it's unknown.  It's possible that there are situations where the fourth printing of something is technically the rarest.

Value?  Yes, generally speaking, first printings command a premium.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:05 pm 

I think there are a number of examples where 1st prints had a huge run and later prints are harder to find.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:57 pm 

I used to buy a whole bunch of stuff because I was bombarded DM of the group I was in at the time. That slowly turned into trying to complete the product lines of which I had books. So at the moment that's Call of Cthulhu, L5R, Unknown Armies, 7th Sea, Spycraft, Fading Suns and Godlike. Besides Cthulhu, the other ones are mostly complete unless there are ltd editions I'm not aware of.

I've also been trying to complete the forgotten realms ever since I started playing and am currently at about 80% of the rpg books. (and got a lot of stuff from Mr. Lawrenson during my yearly visit to the Spiel fair in Germany)

I started buying Dungeons & Dragons material in the AD&D period and have continued to do so up until 4th edition but I mostly buy larger quantities when the local gaming store has a sale or some discount actions.

Recently also earlier D&D have popped up in my collection, and also other settings like Dragonlance and Greyhawk.

I used to buy books to actually play with but nowadays I'm not opening shrinkwraps anymore. Not that I really need everything SW but if I get it in that condition, I'll leave it like that.

I have some nice Cthulhu items but none of the rare D&D stuff (yet).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:08 pm 

Collectors are weird. 8)  I don't collect much any more, lack of funds to do so being the primary reason.  When I was actively collecting my goals were modest and simple.  Get 1 copy of each iteration of D&D (OD&D and supplements I-V, BECMI, etc.).  Any printing is fine as long as they are complete and readable, basically fair or better.  

There are exceptions though.  I specifically wanted all Greyhawk products and certain versions of other stuffs (Pastel/chromo versions of the D series and T1 as well as all the super-modules).  I'm also looking to get every printing of T1.  I cannot explain why that matters.  Collectors are weird.  

OTOH a buddy of mine wanted to collect all of the B/E modules, no interest in any other versions for him.  Go figure.   Yeah, collectors are weird.

Last edited by nyjastul69 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:24 pm 

Mars wrote:I think there are a number of examples where 1st prints had a huge run and later prints are harder to find.

Such as X1.
1st prints are as common as any TSR module there is.
Probably the most common 1st print module of them all.
(I am just guessing though, have no facts to back that bold claim)
4th Prints of X1 (Blue Strip at top of Red front cover) are far less common.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:51 pm 

I own virtually every commercially available 1st Edition AD&D and D&D product published by TSR, Inc., which means that my main collecting goal has pretty much been met. That being said, I would very much like to get my hands on a Daystar West Pharaoh module by Tracy Hickman, as the version published by TSR in the early eighties is one of favorite modules of all time. On a related note, I would also like to get my hands on a copy of Lost Thamoachan, the original tournament printing of the classic Hidden Shrine of Thamoachan published by TSR. Being as I would never pay more than $30 for any gaming product, even a woodgrain Original D&D boxed set, my dreams of owning Pharaoh or Lost Thamoachan will never be fulfilled.

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:58 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote:
Such as X1.
1st prints are as common as any TSR module there is.

I think a lot of modules had their first print run being the biggest - especially stuff that came out just before 2nd Edition and during 2nd edition.  1st print T1-4 comes to mind as well.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:00 pm 

Munafik wrote: Being as I would never pay more than $30 for any gaming product, even a woodgrain Original D&D boxed set, my dreams of owning Pharaoh or Lost Thamoachan will never be fulfilled.

I wouldn't give up hope yet.  Surprisingly, Daystar West Pharaoh has been had for prices this cheap twice this year already  8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:53 pm 

for me personally, i have had a ton of stuff pass through my hands over the years. some i enjoy, some i dont.

i tend to keep the things i like and feel a "connection" with. some have stories behind them or how i got them etc.

my collection is never big and doesnt particularly go in any specific direction.

i am still of the belief that it should be appreciated and valued above all. cost is negligible, unless your mindset is that youre going to pass it on at some point anyway - which is not me.

that said, i want the complete run of beholder fanzines...think i am missing one - but then thats the fun of the search!

everything else? meh....fun stuff that i will read and enjoy.

i do like all the old sci fi stuff tho.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:13 pm 

Mars wrote:I wouldn't give up hope yet.  Surprisingly, Daystar West Pharaoh has been had for prices this cheap twice this year already  8O

Should we start a pool to pick the date for the next time that will happen?   :D

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

PreviousNext