Forum Update
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:08 pm 

I'm getting these errors now, too.  I've been away for the last two weeks, so of course, that's when things usually go wrong.  I'll look into this and see what the deal is.

Incidentally, message posting still seems to work -- just gives lots of nasty errors.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:49 pm 

OK, I seem to have quashed this latest bug.  Please let me know, here or via e-mail, if anyone's continuing to have problems.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:42 pm 

Spoke too soon.  Now, it appears that automated messages (topic-reply notifications, registration confirmations, etc) are no longer working.  I'm continuing to look into it.  Sigh.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:46 pm 

Alrighty.  I think we're fixed.  In short, this wasn't my fault: my web host, in their infinite wisdom (and their dogged determination to stamp out e-mail spammers wherever they be), decided to prevent any client from sending more than 100 e-mail messages an hour.  Any messages in surplus of that were bounced.

After arguing with them for several days (their solution: upgrade to our VPS server, for only $400/year, and send as many goddamn e-mails as you'd like, buddy), I discovered that by disabling the ability of users to watch topics (receive an e-mail when a topic was replied to), this cut down the number of e-mails the board was sending by nearly 80%.

So, that's what I did.  You will still be able to receive notifications on new private messages, which I deemed more valuable than being able to watch a topic.  I apologize for the inconvenience, but I feel it's a necessary band-aid which will keep operations costs of this web site to something reasonable.  :)

Should anyone continue to have any problems with either A) not receiving a new-user confirmation e-mail, or B) not receiving a notification on a new private message, please let me know.

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:00 pm 

Heh.  Stamping out spammers is a noble endeavour.  But has your web host never heard of a listserv?  

Keep up the great job, Foulfoot, the site rocks!  I for one can do without a few notifications.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:29 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Should anyone continue to have any problems with either A) not receiving a new-user confirmation e-mail, or B) not receiving a notification on a new private message, please let me know.

I didn't get a notice for my latest PM from Frank, Scott, and it wasn't caught by my bulk mail/spam filter on SBC Yahoo either.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:32 am 

Grodog, you posted about 45 minutes after I left the "it's fixed" message above -- I left the message immediately after the problem was fixed.  Did Frank send you a PM in that 45 min window?  (Even if he did, it's possible that the server was still rejecting some messages, until the message-limit timer resets).

I haven't gotten any more message bounces this afternoon, and I *have* gotten a few PM notifications.  Let me know if anyone's not receiving PM notifications from this point onwards --

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:06 am 

FoulFoot wrote:Grodog, you posted about 45 minutes after I left the "it's fixed" message above -- I left the message immediately after the problem was fixed.  Did Frank send you a PM in that 45 min window?  (Even if he did, it's possible that the server was still rejecting some messages, until the message-limit timer resets).

Nope, it was yesterday.  Thanks for the clarification Scott!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Previous