ST1 survival rate??
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:27 pm 

The copy of ST1 I have was purchased at the Westminster convention (one of the 2 places it was sold, I believe)

http://www.acaeum.com/forum/about1383.html

If I may offer an insight as to why I think this item has become so rare.  I visited the convention with around 10 mates and I was the only one who purchased a copy.  Firstly because it is a D&D module and we all played AD&D (Basic D&D was being marketed as a childrens version of the game at the time in the U.K) and very few of the 'harcore' gamers visiting a convention would want to be seen buying a 'childrens' module.  Secondly,  the only other place it was on sale was at a garden festival (how many of you have ever visited a garden festival!) so any copies sold there were likely to have been sold to parents visiting with children and probably ended up as colouring books.

So why did I buy a copy? Because I've always been a collector of interesting 'things' and I thought it might be rare one day (looks like I got that one right!) - So it got stored in a binder 18 years ago and got taken out  last year when I decided to sell some of my RPG stuff which I no longer use.

Hope this is usefull for your 'research'

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:16 pm 

If this is true:

Or even Alan's friend who's sitting on a box of ST1's

I'd say the survival rate is pretty good.  How many modules did TSR put in a case?  Aaron at NK has (or had) a case of OB3s.  He's been listing one a year for three or four years now.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:40 pm 

well as mentioned before, i know of 2 ppl who have ST1's - one has just 1 and the other has about 15 or so, but neither want to be know, so i keep my word not to say anything. i imagine that there are more out there. some will know its value and some maybe won't, but i also think that the survival rate is prb just fine, but the levels of condition will prb vary drastically imo, as not all out there will be collectors and the like.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:51 am 

Luca Lettieri in Italy has a copy. I know this because in November 2004, at the Lucca Games convention, there was a display of D&D collector's items for the 30th anniversary, and the items came from his personal collection (at least this is what the convention staff told me). There was an ST1, along with a First Quest album and many other, less rare, items.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:18 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:other has about 15 or so, but neither want to be know,

Al

15 copies!! OMG!!  Maybe he should sell a few while the prices are high!

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:27 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:15 copies!! OMG!! Maybe he should sell a few while the prices are high!

J

well J thats the honest truth. this was just before jon J hargreaves flogged his on here...i spoke to me mate who knows him and asked him to see if i could buy one and keep it private like - as i didnt want anyone to know etc. the answer was "this will be my nest egg when i retire" and refused to sell one to me.... so there we go.

however, on this point, it would not surprise me one single bit if there are more scattered around the UK in a similar way, but probably in lesser numbers.

i reckon there is a fairly decent survival rate, prb far more than some of the other bigger rares. after all, it wasnt TSR destroying them or anything.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Previous