Report sellers who infringe copyrights!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:51 am 

It was something Tim Kask said in one of his Curmudgeon in the Cellar podcasts.
Perhaps it was his interpretation of the OGL, but he seemed more emphatic than that referring to OD&D now being in the public domain.
Perhaps if WoTC have abandoned the IP, it is then by definition relinquished to the public domain.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:22 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Report sellers who infringe copyrights!:According to Tim Kask OD&D is now out of copyright and free for anyone to do with as they please with it.
If he is correct and that is the case, then no copyright exists that can be infringed upon when it comes to OD&D.
If OD&D has lapsed, D&D and AD&D cannot be far behind.

A part the precise contens of the law, i do not see how OD&D can be public domain if it is still being produced... The 5E keeps the same title, i have never considered terms expiration dates for smtg still in production!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:43 am 

aia wrote in Report sellers who infringe copyrights!:
A part the precise contents of the law, i do not see how OD&D can be public domain if it is still being produced... The 5E keeps the same title, i have never considered terms expiration dates for smtg still in production!

Clearly 'public domain' means different things to different people. I took it to mean 'public property' in the copyright sense, but some people use the phrase to mean 'generally available to many people', the same way a photograph can be in the public domain.

In regard to your point about the use of the name Dungeons & Dragons, that is trademark and not copyright. I'd imagine a corporation could retain a Trademark beyond the original work's copyright. But who knows.

When all is said and done, if you can print something using a major printing house, market it on some of the world's biggest market places, and sell them freely to whomever you want, that item is in fact free of copyright due to the product having been abandoned by anyone who cares.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:11 am 

Wow, this seller is going all-in:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

They have sold many of these already.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:15 am 

Someone dumped a lot of time into creating those. I don't (and probably won't) collect some of those settings they have bundled like this:

I never buy reprints because at the end of the day they are counterfeits.  However these could sway me to the dark side.  :)

-SKA

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:13 pm 

Temple of Elemental Evil reprint...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:38 pm 

This individual was placed on the Auction Hunter blocklist a while ago, so their auctions won't pull up in the daily searches.  While they're not actually violating copyright, I really can't stand people selling photocopies on eBay, as I've publicly stated before.  Even though he very clearly spells out that this is a reprint in the description, there's always idiots who Buy It Now without reading, which ultimately hurts the legitimacy and trustworthiness of the collecting hobby as a whole.  And the ONLY reason people do this is to capitalize on the suckers, which is just a sh*tty way to do business.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:52 am 

As a play copy its better than printing the PDF yourself.
Selling multiple copies (2 available) looks like they are making a business out of trying to hook idiots. They buy at $19.50 currently on DrivethruRPG, and sell at an $18 markup, and make $10 a sale after fees. There's nothing wrong with that legally, but morally their actions fit with the description of 'shady'.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:49 am 

The scammers are at it again on eBay:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

There are likely other fraudulent listing from this seller's hijacked account.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:51 pm 

I was looking through Etsy, when I came across the two PDFs below. As I looked further, I found more examples of Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine (combined as well) PDFs on the first page (search field: “Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1st edition.”)  I’m unsure of Etsy’s policies.  Is there any point in reporting them, or is the site rife with this kind of thing?

Best,

Paul

Dragon Magazine Archive PDF:
Seller:  Barbi Bookmaster

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1291736 ... ch_click=1

The official Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Coloring Album PDF (Four AD&D PDF colouring books in total)  
Seller: Brendan.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1075757 ... ch_click=1

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe...we are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:15 pm 

PaulKM wrote in Report sellers who infringe copyrights!:I was looking through Etsy, when I came across the two PDFs below. As I looked further, I found more examples of Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine (combined as well) PDFs on the first page (search field: “Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1st edition.”)  I’m unsure of Etsy’s policies.  Is there any point in reporting them, or is the site rife with this kind of thing?

Best,

Paul

Dragon Magazine Archive PDF:
Seller:  Barbi Bookmaster

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1291736 ... ch_click=1

The official Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Coloring Album PDF (Four AD&D PDF colouring books in total)  
Seller: Brendan.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1075757 ... ch_click=1

The AD&D Colouring books were published by someone else (not TSR) and that's a store that sells lots of colouring books. Perhaps it's legit and they got the right to republish a whole slew of them?

Previous