Report sellers who infringe copyrights!
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:48 am 

I don't see Hasbro compromising any part of their intellectual property.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:40 pm 

Products replicated verbatim, TSR copyright, but these are "by Bill Logan" and (c) DwD Studios.
And they all cost real money.

No valid citation present (like "Licensed by Wizards of the Coast Inc., (c) and TM WotC).

I think this Bill Logan is in for a world of hurt.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:03 pm 

FormCritic wrote:I don't see Hasbro compromising any part of their intellectual property.

Of course you don't see it - such is the nature of *nudge nudge wink wink* arrangements. From the IP owner's point of view, there is bad infringement & good infringement. Good infringement is free publicity plus free market research, because when the pirates start hawking an old property you forgot existed, you know it's time for a reprint.

My work in publishing involves something somewhat like this. I find old texts to reprint, then give copies/scans to my editor who passes them around to another bunch of editors who somewhere down the line give money to the IP owner. Yes I suppose that technically we're pirates until the money changes hands. However without this extra-legal, gray-market piracy, owners would never have their work reprinted. We're not stealing, we're conducting the business which makes IP a valuable property in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:12 pm 

sauromatian wrote:
FormCritic wrote:I don't see Hasbro compromising any part of their intellectual property.

Of course you don't see it .

But, of course, I did not mean that I can literally see anything.  I don't foresee Hasbro surrendering any portion of their intellectual property.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:39 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Products replicated verbatim, TSR copyright, but these are "by Bill Logan" and (c) DwD Studios.
And they all cost real money.

No valid citation present (like "Licensed by Wizards of the Coast Inc., (c) and TM WotC).

I think this Bill Logan is in for a world of hurt.

This guy has been doing this for a long time.  He runs the Starfrontiersman.com website and has made most of the original Star Frontiers stuff available for free download since 2007.

http://starfrontiersman.com/downloads/remastered

Why would he put this stuff on Lulu for purchase and still keep the free links going on his website?  Even his Starfrontiersman magazine costs money if you want it from Lulu but you can still grab it for free from his website.  That is just plain strange.

And then there is this guy who states that he has permission from Hasbro to reproduce the original Star Frontiers material.

http://www.starfrontiers.com/Home/Offic ... ssion.aspx

Perhaps they really dont care.  :?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:35 am 

FormCritic wrote: I don't foresee Hasbro surrendering any portion of their intellectual property.

Another inadvertently correct statement. No one here (openly) represents Hasbro's legal interests. Vigilante justice can sometimes cause problems for the intended beneficiary. Right now there is a county in Florida undergoing a major crapstorm because some sad, lonely weirdo wanted to help out by indulging his fantasies of being a cop.

p.s. I realize that I used the word "inadvertently," which contains "ent." Those who believe they represent the true spirit of Tolkien, or who otherwise suffer from a limited understanding of human interactions, may wish to chastise me for it.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:44 am 

Could any UK fellow be so kind and report this seller?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

ciaooo

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:21 pm 

Hi, I'm new here, but I wanted to pipe in on the Star Frontiers issue - it's been going on for a lot longer than a decade. In the mid-90's someone from TSR gave permission to the members of the Star Frontiers listserv to copy and reprint game materials. At the time all it amounted to was making pdfs and printing them for use at mini-cons. I don't know how this evolved into a license to print books, or if it's even legit at this point, but that's what I remember.

IIRC the official SF listserv wasn't hosted in-house by TSR, and died before WotC took over - so it's not archived at http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/ After that, the list switched servers a couple times over the course of a year or two, so it's hard as heck to track down the source of all this, as well as some of the great stuff that showed up on those listservs. Hopefully if anyone is interested this will give them some sort of lead, however thin and shaky, on the truth of the matter.

Edit: and reading his explanation on starfrontiers.com, it jibes with what I remember. It also reminded me though that some on the listserv wanted to get together and outright buy the license, but the price was ridiculously out of range.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:32 pm 

sauromatian wrote:inadvertently

:roll:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:02 pm 

Gentlemen.  I had a question.   I am in the process of sellling a large portion of my collection on Ebay.   Amoung the items I have not listed yet is a copy of the Gencon 2000 D&D Open Tournament the Citadel.   My team finished in 3rd place in the Open that year.   The tournament judges who assembled the teams and sent everyone off to the tables Julie, gave our team members each copies of the adventure after the tournament was over.  I believe I am the only team member who still has a copy.   We had asked her for copies of the adventure after the trounament was over.   My copy was used in the open tournament that year.   It is just a three ring punched copy run off on a photo copier by WOTC staff at the time i'm sure.  It contains no writing.

This has never been "leaked" or "copied" to the Internet by anyone as far as I know.   Grogdog doesn't even have the name's of the round's for instance on his Greyhawkonline.com  

They are by the way:   Whipser of Trouble Round 1, The Other Point of View Round 2, The Truth Revealed Round 3.

The 3 part tourney uses the Circle of Eight characters: Mordenkainen the Mage Level 10, Robilar Level 8, Bigby the Mage level 7, Riggby the Patriarch Level 7, Yrag Level 8, Otis Level 7.  The tournament only used 6 characters.   I have the character sheets as well.   

Can I sell this?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:40 pm 

stephenf wrote:This has never been "leaked" or "copied" to the Internet by anyone as far as I know.   Grogdog doesn't even have the name's of the round's for instance on his Greyhawkonline.com.

Hate to say it, but someone leaked it.  Most of the RPGA adventures have been made available for download at one time or another.  I really dont know what their legal status was at the time and I dont know what it is currently.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:59 pm 

Never mind then.  It wasn't even the open tourney that was Finger of the Wind after looking it up.   I have Finger of the Wind as well somewhere in the pile.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:01 pm 

stephenf wrote:Can I sell this?

Sure. You cannot sell any rights whatsoever, except for custody & ownership of the Artifact itself (a computer printout manuscript on paper).

F

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:09 pm 

stephenf wrote:Can I sell this?

Did you sign anything that might have amounted to a non-disclosure agreement? Did the judges?

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:08 pm 

Please. The question was "Can I?" (with impunity). Do you really think WotC is going to try to stop one eBay auction, even if they had a signed NDA?

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:08 pm 

This chap seems to have made quite a bit of cash selling items such as this:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:47 pm 

vosarnath wrote:This chap seems to have made quite a bit of cash selling items such as this:

Contact the people at Eon studios. I'd be surprised if they didn't at least contact ebay. They've been very protective of the James Bond copyright so far including sending out C&D letters to game companys trying to use the Bond name without licence (to kill of course). They are based in London.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:20 pm 

Not an RPG but here is another counterfitter on ebay. Hasbro owns the copyright to Panzer-Blitz and Multi-Man is licensing it to produce new Panzerblitz games (one is out already).

This is a new ebay id for this guy. He also uses others with 2x in the name. As with the Victory Games DvD bootleg of the James Bond games (another defunct Avalon Hill title) these guys are selling bootleg DvD pdfs of Avalon Hill games.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

PreviousNext