Post research tidbits here
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:26 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I saw this auction and thought - " someone is very confused." A 236 page revised edition with yellow end papers? Turns out I was the confused one.
I wonder why I have never come across one before.

Coincidentally, within minutes, I was staring at this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

and thinking to myself - "that crease looks very familiar." So I bought it and it is a 236 page revised edition with yellow end papers.

I saw that auction and it immediately caught my eye as well. The reason it causght my eye was the cover line.  I was thinkiung that it might actually been a 3rd beta. I saw the question that was asked and with the answer that the seller gave I just gave up on it being what I was hoping. I actually monitered it until the end and although I was bit surprised that it went for $20.00 I just chalked it up to some newbie bidding.  I guess my question is what about this is different?  Isn't it possible that it is just a 6th printing with the last 2 pages removed?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:31 pm 

Opps, looks like my post was a little bit slow. That crease is actually present in a later printing DMG that I have that I am looking at right now. It is not quite as profound, but it is still there. My copy that I am holding right now has white flyleafs and endpapers though, not yellow. I don't know if it is so much as a crease as it is a part of the cover. I suspect that if you lookat any printing in the light the right way, you will see that crease in all of them. I will check some of my others to see if my suspicions are correct. I know that you have a bunch also so try looking at them in the light at an angle and see if you can see what I mean. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:41 pm 

Looking back through all my books, I found one with a faint cover line in that place as well. 236 pages, white end papers, survey form i. e. seventh print. The one that I bought with 236 pages and yellow end papers also has the survey form i. e sixth print. The cover indentation is very pronounced. You can easily feel it with finger.

Does anyone have a DMG with survey forms and 238 numbered pages?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:02 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:Looking back through all my books, I found one with a faint cover line in that place as well. 236 pages, white end papers, survey form i. e. seventh print. The one that I bought with 236 pages and yellow end papers also has the survey form i. e sixth print. The cover indentation is very pronounced. You can easily feel it with finger.

Does anyone have a DMG with survey forms and 238 numbered pages?

*sigh* Well, there goes my evening...I was planning on going out drinking, but if there's creases on DMGs to look for...  :lol:  Sad but true.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:56 pm 

I actually monitered it until the end and although I was bit surprised that it went for $20.00 I just chalked it up to some newbie bidding.  I guess my question is what about this is different?  Isn't it possible that it is just a 6th printing with the last 2 pages removed?

Sure it's possible. The 6th and 7th printings have perforated pages. I can't see any stubs in my copies; the remainder of a perforated page that was removed. But it would be hard to say for a certainty that they weren't there. I am supposing that the 6th and 7th prints only had 236 pages and the 237,238 reference page wasn't included.

Being the print fiend for PHB, MM, DMG that I am, I now heartily regret not bidding more for that copy.

Incidentally, that is only the 2nd time that I have seen an e-Bay auction end in a tie. I wonder what the later bidder is thinking. I'll pay $20 for it, but I'll be damned if I'll pay 20.50.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:19 pm 

*finds thread after some delving*

Somewhat belatedly; TSR Hex Sheet w/numbered (to "4439") small hex (~16mm) + "TSR HOBBIES" on one side and unnumbered larger hex (~22mm) on the other side (8002 code + Wizard Logo & "TSR GAMES").

I'd half-expected that to be coded 8003 on the small hex side, but not so.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Previous