Post research tidbits here
Author

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:56 am 

Not that I've seen, but there's an easy way to find out.  Line up a B3 or B4 with the 3-ring and see if it matches - the TSR holes were considerably larger and cleaner than what you can accomplish with a home or office hole-puncher.  If they're smaller, it's done by the owner; if they're the same size, you have a research item.
:wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:27 am 

grodog wrote:
I'd love to get my hands on the tourney versions of S1, S3, A1, A2, A3, A4, and I1---even if they were just photocopies---because their research value is incalculable. As an aside, I've also heard from EGG that the tourney versions of G1-3 and D1-3 were run from the published modules vs. from tourney originals; can anyone confirm/deny this?

Not excatly what you're looking for but......

Needle I11 tourney's at the Dragon's trove. There a bit pricey….. :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:.... What would be the value on these or other tournament modules? Is the Trove even in the Ballpark?

Page not found | The Dragon's Trove

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:25 pm 

Very minor research tidbit:

I don't know if this is known (probably), I saw no mention of it on the site.

I've noticed the 1st printing boxed set has it's page numbers centred, and the 5th printing (my only copy to compare) has it's page numbers alternating in the corners...can anyone fill in the blanks on the other printings?
[edit]
Also, Pg. 4 of Vol 3 is different.  The first has hand-lettered words on the "Sample Level" legend, the 5th has a typeface, and circles around the room numbers.

Same with the "Construction" drawing on pg. 21.

Incidentally, this might this be of use in verifying Mr. Stormberg's Vol 3?

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:08 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Needle I11 tourney's at the Dragon's trove. There a bit pricey….. :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:.... What would be the value on these or other tournament modules? Is the Trove even in the Ballpark?

Page not found | The Dragon's Trove

A less pricey alternative would be to find both parts of I11 in Polyhedron.  I have both issues with the two halves of the adventure, with the mailing cover still on them.  My best guess is that they didn't change anything between printing the module for the DM, and publishing it in Polyhedron.  I would think more substantial changes would have come when I11 was published as a regular module.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:41 pm 

B1 Mono UK version comes with the last page 31-32 twice.  Once in the booklet.  And once as a separate sheet.  I have three separate copies with this sheet.  One of which I bought from new.  So, they were not photocopied at a later date.

I've had a quick look on the site and I can't find a mention about it.

Is this the same with the USA mono?  I don't actually have a copy!

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:30 pm 

The B1 US versions I've seen, no matter how early, only have a 32-page booklet.  Pp. 31-32 are often missing, but there's never a separate sheet in addition.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:15 pm 

johnhuck wrote:B1 Mono UK version comes with the last page 31-32 twice.  Once in the booklet.  And once as a separate sheet.  I have three separate copies with this sheet.  One of which I bought from new.  So, they were not photocopied at a later date.

*nods*. Definitely original and not a photocopy, John. Good spot.
(Possibly /slightly/ lighter-colored paper stock(?), but otherwise the same printing).

I wonder how often this is missing from UK copies of B1, especially those in lower grades.
(But then, by comparison, the Reference Sheets in the OD&D box currently have a value of /zero/ for goodness-knows what reason!).

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:02 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
johnhuck wrote:B1 Mono UK version comes with the last page 31-32 twice.  Once in the booklet.  And once as a separate sheet.  I have three separate copies with this sheet.  One of which I bought from new.  So, they were not photocopied at a later date.

*nods*. Definitely original and not a photocopy, John. Good spot.
(Possibly /slightly/ lighter-colored paper stock(?), but otherwise the same printing).

I wonder how often this is missing from UK copies of B1, especially those in lower grades.
(But then, by comparison, the Reference Sheets in the OD&D box currently have a value of /zero/ for goodness-knows what reason!).

It was actually your win which alerted me to it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5927413171

The sheet is clearly visible in this photo.  So, I checked my original B1 to see if the sheet was perforated and realised there was an extra copy.  I then checked my GW boxed set.  Same story.  And I just acquired another set in better condition.  And the same story here.

So, can I suggest that if you have a B1 UK mono or the GW boxed set without this sheet, it is incomplete!  :cry:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:42 pm 

harami2000 wrote:Had a word with the eBay store vendor who was stuck with those last eleven mint copies of Strategic Review #3 and they mentioned that these had been obtained by the previous owner from a GenCon auction.
.... <clip>
Anyone else seen these "in bulk"?

*g*. Was right about SR #3.

In addition to the above eleven, at least four more NM copies from a single vendor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5933377214
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5931856598
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5933773039
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5931512594

No idea why it's just that particular issue...

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:11 pm 

Yes, Harami.

As you can see from the links you posted I was able to obtained two of the four that you indicated. I have them now and I think that they are actually in mint condition.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:05 pm 

Here we see another one (see my previous post):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 5938421032

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:07 pm 

I hadn't pointed this out before.  But the cover 1st printing of the UK Basic rulebook appears to be much glossier than the 2nd printing.  The 2nd printing has a rougher finish and looks almost as if it has been covered in very thin tracing/greasproof paper.  And it's not mentioned in the listing on this site.

You can sort of make out what I mean in the images:
Page Not Found
Page Not Found
http://img53.exs.cx/img53/3230/ukbasic11bj.jpg

Can any of the other people with both printings confirm this?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:40 pm 

My copies are the same as yours.
1st print nice and glossy
2nd print dull and hazy

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:36 pm 

All idol cover PHBs up to and including 6th print with orange endpapers have a final catalogue page with the heading: Other Swords & Sorcery, Fantasy, and Science Fiction Titles from TSR.

From the 6th print with white end papers onward, the heading now reads: Other Fantasy and Science Fiction Titles from TSR.

I was looking over my PHBs today and noticed that one is a stated 6th printing with white endpapers and catalogue page heading: Other Swords & Sorcery, Fantasy, and Science Fiction Titles from TSR.

Thought you should know.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:56 pm 

To further my advacement in geekhood, I've begun counting the stitches in my PHBs.

All printings are per Acaeum designations.

true 1st-  I d'ont have one.
1st- 31 stitches
2nd- 17 stitches
3rd- 17 stitches
4th- 17 stitches
5th -11 stitches
6th- I have two, one =11 stitches, the other= 17 stitches
7th- 9 stitches
8th(and beyond I presume)- 0 stitches

The PHB that I mentioned in the above post has 13 stitches.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:46 am 

I will mention this again, since this seems to be a similar topic:

My early print of the PHB for 1st edition AD&D has a lighter colored green ink on it than the slightly later prints.  

The slightly later prints had darker ink and a glossy finish that looks markedly different than the earlier print.

Anyone else notice that?    :?

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:52 am 

Good old Woodies..

Could the differences in print editions for 3rd+, 4th minus, 4th et al be partly accounted for by the fact that TSR had a christmas special in December 1975 of Books 1 & 2 (for the original boxed set): $2 each  8O or 2 for $4 :roll:
An advert is listed in SR #5, and it specifically mentions that people should buy to replace their existing copies as these are the ones which are used more and thus wear out quicker.

This may also help explain why the first 2 sometimes don't appear to be the same as the 3rd book ie colouring, slightly different texture..

In the grand scheme probably doesn't mean much and would be very hard to confirm when obtaining copies of the sets.

Thought it would be interesting to speculate.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:15 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I saw this auction and thought - " someone is very confused." A 236 page revised edition with yellow end papers? Turns out I was the confused one.
I wonder why I have never come across one before.

Coincidentally, within minutes, I was staring at this auction:

and thinking to myself - "that crease looks very familiar." So I bought it and it is a 236 page revised edition with yellow end papers.

They can't be all that elusive though, with four popping up in the last week.

PreviousNext